• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmw
    TT Enthusiast
    • Apr 2012

Trim Tab 214V / X-14V

Need some help on my trim tab. Has someone else has had their trim tab stop working and know a fix? Or is someone out there with a 2009 214V or X-14 with VDIG and a trim tab that can confirm which MiniMMDC and Lenco trim box is in their boat? It needs to be the same year but might not have to be a same model like an X-2 or something similar that only has the center trim tab because per Lenco multiple (surf) tabs is an entirely different system.

I purchased the boat last year and it was not working, dealer said it was the actuator, knocked a fair amount off the price and I thought I would fix it myself and a nightmare has ensued. I know it's not the actuator, because I can test it manually making it run using jumper wires. I have tested the Lenco brain box and it works correctly (Lenco has been extremely helpful). I have tested the switch and it works correctly. I have spoken with MC and here is where it got scary, the factory knew the boat when I described the problem.... It was apparently at a MC dealer that closed around Orlando, FL with same problem about 2 or 3 years ago and I don’t think it was ever fixed. The boat has a VDIG but MC says it didn’t leave the factory with a VDIG but it’s only had 2 owners (ski school and police chief) both seem trustworthy and they all state that’s the way it came. Lenco believed the brain box that was in the boat (Model: 30074-001 REV: B) wasn’t the correct box and even sent me what matched their records for a VDIG (Model: 30271-009) to test, but that didn’t fix it either. They both have 16 pin harnesses but are wired slightly different. That’s why I’m hoping someone can confirm what should be in the boat. Things I’ve tested:

Switch has common ground come in from brain box and when toggled grounds the wire for either up or down. If I wire the brain box directly to the switch it works but will not show up on the VDIG. I have followed the wires (trim up/down) from the switch and it appears they go to the MiniMMDC, they definitely enter that main wiring harness under that dash and without tearing into the harness you cannot follow them all the way.

Both lenco brain boxes bench test out and work correctly. I’m assuming that after the switch takes the common ground from the Lenco brain box and transfers it to either the up/down wire it runs through the MiniMMDC and then back to the Lenco brain box for some reason. Both brain boxes have a trim gauge output that’s why I’m not sure why/if the up/down wires go through the MiniMMDC. Attached is the wiring diagram from Lenco for the box that was in my boat but they indicate the up/down should just go to the switch which I have done and the tab works but won’t show up on VDIG. I don’t have the MC diagrams which would help because then I could test the wires as they go in and out of the MiniMMDC or wherever they are going.

I even borrowed a MiniMMDC same model # (M3 MiniMMDC 7022-0012-01) from a buddies boat (his doesnt have a trim tab) but that didnt fix it either.

I have tested all the hot and ground wires at the switch and Lenco brain box with a test light and volt meter and all check out.

I’m open to any suggestions because I’m stumped… I know it’s not the end of the world without a gauge because you usually watch the wake to adjust/dial it in but it drives me crazy that it doesn’t work correctly, MCOCD.
    Last edited by jmw; 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM. Reason: typo
  • jmw
    TT Enthusiast
    • Apr 2012

Just realized attachment missing. Anyone have any ideas???
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jmw; 01-29-2013, 05:45 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• jmw
      TT Enthusiast
      • Apr 2012

Bump... Wow 102 views and no comments. I did some more checking today and confirmed the trim guage out wire from the Lenco box is working correctly. In case anybody ever has to check their gauge the wire should read 5 volts when all the way down and 0 volts when up. I'm about to give up on the VDIG and just install a regular guage.

Attached wiring diagram for Lenco brainbox with VDIG (Model: 30271-009); however MC has tied the trim up/down wires on pins 9 and 11 into the main wiring harness somehow and they dont go directly back from the switch to the Lenco brainbox. I wish I knew where they went because if I go directly from the switch back to the brainbox it works just doesnt show up on VDIG.

Suggestions????
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jmw; 02-11-2013, 11:37 AM. Reason: Added Wiring Diagram

Comment

• CBA
        TT Enthusiast
        • May 2013

Originally posted by jmw View Post
        Bump... Wow 102 views and no comments. I did some more checking today and confirmed the trim guage out wire from the Lenco box is working correctly. In case anybody ever has to check their gauge the wire should read 5 volts when all the way down and 0 volts when up. I'm about to give up on the VDIG and just install a regular guage.

Attached wiring diagram for Lenco brainbox with VDIG (Model: 30271-009); however MC has tied the trim up/down wires on pins 9 and 11 into the main wiring harness somehow and they dont go directly back from the switch to the Lenco brainbox. I wish I knew where they went because if I go directly from the switch back to the brainbox it works just doesnt show up on VDIG.

Suggestions????

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem.

Comment

• BrianS
          MC Fanatic
          • Jul 2004

Not sure if this will be helpful, but here is the wiring diagram for the MMDC and VDIG. It shows that the trim position signal should go to the MMDC. The VDIG has 2 connectors on the back, the main harness and the signal from the MMDC. I would make sure both are plugged in to the back of the VDIG. It will still show most values correct without the MMDC connection since it reads the info direct from the CAN bus.
          Attached Files

Comment

• CBA
            TT Enthusiast
            • May 2013

Originally posted by BrianS View Post
            Not sure if this will be helpful, but here is the wiring diagram for the MMDC and VDIG. It shows that the trim position signal should go to the MMDC. The VDIG has 2 connectors on the back, the main harness and the signal from the MMDC. I would make sure both are plugged in to the back of the VDIG. It will still show most values correct without the MMDC connection since it reads the info direct from the CAN bus.
            Thanks I will check this out. Really appreciate it

Comment

• Richy
              TT Newbie
              • Sep 2020

Hello,

thank you for documents. I will check some wires. My trim tab does not work, only flaps going dow.

Comment

• Rhob88
                TT Enthusiast
                • Jul 2013

I have a 2010 x-14v and my center tab is also not operating , I look forward to you finding the solution , that tab helps a lot , I have been using my gen 1 tabs ,to help replace the failed center tab failure , I would love to get the center tab back , good luck

Comment

• Richy
                  TT Newbie
                  • Sep 2020

Originally posted by Rhob88 View Post
                  I have a 2010 x-14v and my center tab is also not operating , I look forward to you finding the solution , that tab helps a lot , I have been using my gen 1 tabs ,to help replace the failed center tab failure , I would love to get the center tab back , good luck
                  When I press down the surf tabs go down but not the center trim tab. Do you have the same problem?

Comment

• Rhob88
                    TT Enthusiast
                    • Jul 2013

the center tab is on the factory switch an the gen 1 tabs are on a different switch , so no the gen 1 tabs work perfectly , just my center tab has failed

Comment

• Richy
                      TT Newbie
                      • Sep 2020

Originally posted by Rhob88 View Post
                      the center tab is on the factory switch an the gen 1 tabs are on a different switch , so no the gen 1 tabs work perfectly , just my center tab has failed
                      I have the same installation. A switch for surfs tabs and a switch for central trim. But when I press the central trim it activates the two surfs tabs up or down. I found nothing abnormal, no fuse blown.

I ordered a wire tracker so I could track the connection from the actuator.
                      If I can’t find it, I’ll plug the actuator directly into the switch, without the computer and the dash screen...

Comment

• Richy
                        TT Newbie
                        • Sep 2020

Hi,
                        Actuator trim tab engine is working but it seems that the lenco control box has a problem. Control box 30231.
                        So I’m going to connect the center trim switch directly with the center trim tab without going through the control box.

Comment

• Rhob88
                          TT Enthusiast
                          • Jul 2013

Never thought of that , good luck , keep us posted on the outcome

Comment

• Richy
                            TT Newbie
                            • Sep 2020

Hello,
                            OK I did it.
                            With a relay I was able to keep the original switch. The trim works again but I forgot that this same switch is also used to retract the surf tabs. To fully retract the surfs tabs it is necessary to do it with computer, not so bad...

Although this was not the problem, check all ground wires before the modification, all my wires were loose,

[/IMG][/url]

Comment

Working...
                            X