• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonb1822
    MC Fanatic
    • Oct 2011

Trailer Brake Fluid

How often do you guys change the brake fluid in the trailers?

Any other regular maitanence you guys keep up with throughout the year?
  • Bubbacuse77
    MC Devotee
    • Jun 2015

There should be no reason to change the fluid unless you think it is old and is contaminated. The other big thing to do to your trailer is to change the oil in the hubs. I do it at the end of each season.
    sigpic
    "America is about speed. Hot, Nasty, bad-a$$ speed"
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

• blackhawk
      MC Devotee
      • Jul 2013

Brake fluid will eventually absorb water from the atmosphere. Then add in the fact that you are dipping your brakes in the lake every time that you launch your boat. I have not had my boat that long, but I just flushed out the brake fluid last year. I plan to do it at least every 4 years. A lot of car manufacturer's say to change it every two years, but I think that is overkill.
      We defy the mafia!

Comment

• Footin
        MC Addict
        • Aug 2004

I just changed mine for the second time in two years, I was surprised how dirty the inside of the master cylinder was. I tried to get it as clean as possible this time, will check it again next year and change as needed.
        OH-IO!

Comment

• mikeg205
          MC Master Poster
          • Aug 2011

take some out - if it's not black - its still good.
          sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

• Jeff d
            MC Devotee
            • May 2010

I just use a large syringe and change the volume in the reservoir every season, sometimes twice if I think about it. Most of your fluid volume is in there and it will eventually exchange with the lines and calipers. It takes two minutes, costs like $1-2, is easier than changing the entire volume every few years, and if there's any moisture in there you're removing it relatively quickly rather than letting it sit there for 3+ years. I've had to deal with a couple of brake systems on vehicles and trailers that were neglected and severely corroded with no salt exposure. I'd rather spend 2 mins and $2 per year and never have to deal with that.

If yours is nasty start with a full fluid change. IMHO if you're just maintaining a system in good order then change what's in the master cylinder annually. I still suck it all out via the calipers every few seasons too though.

Comment

• bturner2
              MC Addict
              • Mar 2008

I go through my brake system every other year. Pull the calipers, grease the slides then flush the lines. I start like Jeff and pull all the fluid out in the reservoir then use my Motive Bleeder (https://www.motiveproducts.com) to flush the lines. I do all this with the boat on the lift so lifting the trailer and moving it around is no big deal. Takes me about 2 hours cover to cover including beer time.

It's probably a bit of overkill based on the miles I tow but when you own a trailer with Reliable components you better do a lot of maintenance or be prepared to do the conversion.

Comment

Working...
              X