Compare the X22, X24, XSTAR, G23. Which is the best boat to buy for a surfing family?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Livnpruf
    TT Newbie
    • Feb 2014

Compare the X22, X24, XSTAR, G23. Which is the best boat to buy for a surfing family?

We are a family of 4 that loves to surf and chill for long on water sessions.
    We are buying a late fall special 2019 model year.
    A big tuneable surf wave is a must. Some wakeboarding, some cruising, even less skiing, and unfortunately a little tubing.
    Storage is important.
    Handling and drivability in calm and big water.
    Have not had the opportunity to surf any due to cold weather, eh.
    Have never had transom lounge seats. Seem very cool but my daughters loved to lay out on the flat transom of our recently sold 2015 X30. Loved that boat and wave was great to teach the young girls who are 14 and 18 now. Probably a dumb move to sell but wanted to upgrade and get fresh 5yr warranty.
    I welcome any advice, comments, opinions, suggestions, reasons why one is better over another, and recommendations.
    Leaning towards this one:

• Loewen
    TT Regular
    • May 2015

Transom lounge seating is da bomb for float/relax time! If they want, they can lay out on the reversible rear seat that can lay flat.

Comment

• hunter991
      MC Fanatic
      • Jul 2016

Any X series should do the trick. Although i haven't surfed one yet i have heard they are fantastic. I have surfed the new Supra and its also fantastic. I would go MC or Supra and leave the G out. The G is a great boat, but the surf wave is pretty static.

Comment

• uplandbird
        MC Devotee
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Loewen View Post
        Transom lounge seating is da bomb for float/relax time! If they want, they can lay out on the reversible rear seat that can lay flat.
        This.

Comment

• uplandbird
          MC Devotee
          • Aug 2014

There are lots of threads from surfers on here about the X22, 24 and Star's surf waves. From what I can tell you will love all of them.

If money is no object, towing vehicle not an issue (if you intend to tow), and surfing is your primary interest, I would recommend the 24, although all are great. Transom seats actually is a decent demark point between them as they aren't on the Xstar.

I surfed the G23 this summer and to be honest I thought it was pretty great. The storage on the boat really blows my X23 away.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but for me I think the G is very angular. Its like trying to make a boat look like a stealth fighter. I just think they are ugly as a result. In my case its enough to not go that direction. But that is ME. There are others who disagree and that's cool.

Comment

• jgraham37128
            TT Regular
            • Oct 2012

transom seats....game changer.....

Comment

• Lakelife
              TT Regular
              • Mar 2015

Where in western Canada are you?, what lake?
              when i replace my X23 it will most likely be a Xstar possibly an X22 depending on price, i love the Xstar. X24 is very big and needs weight either a big crew or extra ballast with that weight it makes a great wave.
              I also deal with MMS i love that Xstar in your post.

Comment

• Loewen
                TT Regular
                • May 2015

Transom Lounge seating.... The luxury LaZy-Boy recliner of the boating industry. If we say it enough, will folks eventually get the hint and will MC eventually put it on the XStar?

Best seating option I have EVER ordered.

Comment

• FourFourty
                  MC Maniac
                  • Nov 2010

G surf wave kinda is loved by some, but considered Meh by most. It is powerful, and thick. But it is short and steep, and can’t be adjusted from that much. Some folks do really love it, but it is a love it/hate it wave.

X22, X24, and XStar will all have a universally loved wave, that is much more tunable. They are push button wave machines, and not picky about setup/weight.

XStar will be the best handling of any of the XSeries, by a long shot when loaded, but they all handle much better than a G loaded. The G rudder is about half the size it should be.

If looking for the best balance of surf and wake, I’d pick the X22 or XStar. X24 has a nice wakeboard wake as well, but not quite as good/versatile as the Star and 22. Then you just decide if you want style and a bigger bow (Star), or if you want back seats (X22).

Comment

• gwozhog
                    MC Devotee
                    • Jul 2013

2019 25ft Malibu LSV or M235 will surf better than all of the above

Comment

• cbreck0318
                      TT Enthusiast
                      • Aug 2017

Lol. How do you spell troll........I think it starts with a g and ends with a g

Comment

• MC25
                        MC Master Poster
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by gwozhog View Post
                        2019 25ft Malibu LSV or M235 will surf better than all of the above
                        Hahahahahahaha. They surf good. But not that good.
                        Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                        Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                        2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                        For Sale:
                        2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• dmbeck
                          MC Fanatic
                          • May 2014

Originally posted by cbreck0318 View Post
                          Lol. How do you spell troll........I think it starts with a g and ends with a g
                          Wait for swatguy to help out

“Why MC, there’s so many superior boats by other manufacturers in your budget”

Comment

• moosehead
                            MC Maniac
                            • May 2015

OP, you are talking about the best surf and wake boats available so you really cannot go wrong. Fit, finish, systems, ergonomics, and performance are top notch. I was blown away by both the ‘19 Xstar and ‘19 X22 surf waves and spent a full day on both. By all reports here the X24 is equally impressive. New hull designs, larger more articulated surf tabs, electronics, GDI powerplants, and ballast systems (both fast fill and regular) are all noticeable improvements and cutting edge for towboats.

Takeaway for me is that these ‘19+ MY X boats are at incrementally new level of surf and WB performance in stock configuration, significantly better than our beloved 2015 era boats (X10 with 750 lb bags + lead, X30 with 1100 lb bags+ lead). They are also much more quiet and sit higher with more freeboard and our '15's. I have also enjoyed our neighbors G21 and G23, and while the G's surf wave is tall and steep, it is much shorter than MC's wave particularly these new gen Xboats you are looking at. Which one of the three Xboats will largely depend upon your crew, gear, water, etc.

X22: Outrageous surf wave size and power in smaller footprint. May have best ballast to hull size ratio for wave displacement but note some storage room is taken up by ballast. Easiest to tow, stow, and dock but interior seating is larger than one would expect given how the cockpit and pickle bow are stretched into the hull enclosure.

XStar: Spectacular surf and WB wakes. Recent redesign regained category killer status after lagging G for several years. Sharp design cues. No transom seating but allows for significant transom storage for boards and/or additional ballast bags in transom lockers if so desired. Great storage.

X24: Big daddy SurfStar. Triple axle trailer, big tow rig, and big water likely needed. Query whether one needs the 7.4L powerplant or not? Both the Star and X24 handle exceptionally well despite larger size given extra large rudders, massive props, and 2:1 transmissions.

We got our X30 from Martin Motorsports, great folks and there is tremendous pricing on ‘19 closeouts with some help from MC. Note only the XStar and X24 went with bigger Lenco actuators for 2020 due to the greater hydro forces on the larger boats, the X22 is the same gear.

'19 XStar Surf pics and video: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=98797

'19 X22 Surf pics and video: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...d.php?t=102994
                            Last edited by moosehead; 10-17-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• swatguy
                              MC Maniac
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by dmbeck View Post
                              Wait for swatguy to help out

“Why MC, there’s so many superior boats by other manufacturers in your budget”
                              Here we go with another keyboard warrior ,,,,,,he’s not asking which 2006-2012 era boat for 50k is the best . MC’s current line is on par surf wise with anyone . Maybe if you actually knew the details about boats and their performance you could contribute something constructive. Please elaborate on what info I posted that wasn’t correct . A lot of educated buyers would choose boats based off actual wake performance, not based on blind faith and fanboy status. Sorry your butthurt that your X15 gets out performed in several categories by other MFG’s , but it’s fact not fiction . Feel free to elaborate with your extensive knowledge of the different mfg’s and their characteristics to prove my statements false .

As far as the ops choice here. Moosehead pretty much nailed it. It really boils down to if you want it towable , or is it gonna sit static. The wakes are pretty close and super customizable once you decide on the tow aspect , pick whichever one has the best features you like and don’t look back. The big difference with these new models is there is no more sacrificing wakeboard wake attributes for surf wake attributes, All the models do both extremely well and the differences are very subtle .
                              Last edited by swatguy; 10-17-2019, 02:12 PM.
                              CURRENT: 2008 SANTE 210 w NSS

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
                              2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
                              2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
                              99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
                              88 2001 Nautique

Comment

Working...
                              X