Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 04:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
Anyone else excited for America's Cup?

I've been watching these boats getting ready for the cup and with the second boats now in the water they are looking pretty crazy. So anyone else looking forward to the cup this year?
Old 11-24-2020, 04:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 PS197
I don't follow, but I was out in San Fran in 2011 when Oracle first started practicing in public view on the catamarans that were new at the time I believe. Seeing those things hauling across the bay in person was impressive - big boat moving really fast !!
Old 11-24-2020, 08:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X14
I sort of follow it because my mom was an AC fanatic. I still remember to this day when we first lost it and she sat looking at her TV in horror as the winners unbolted the trophy from the Yacht club it had been at for something like 100 years. The boats today are nothing like those old ones but all the better I think. They move so freaking fast it is amazing.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

I enjoy watching and appreciate the boat's technology.
Are there events going on now that can be viewed on tv or streamed?
Old 12-02-2020, 02:28 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Malibu, Echelon, 1994, Fast Burn 430
My GF scored a ride on the 2007 Kiwi (winning, which they remind you frequently) boat which is docked in the Auckland harbor. Super fun as they let you grind and sail it. Got to see the current kiwi boat practice, and yes it is fast along with perfect timing of witnessing it come back to the harbor and get hoisted & moved to drydock. Amazing and very cool technology on them. When, not if you take a trip to NZ, sign up for a sail, its a blast and the harbor is an excellent vacation day.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not an MC
The new foiling monohulls are pretty nuts. Truly the F1 of sailing.

If you haven't seen these things, take a look. Good footage, criminal music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaF9gjSqrc4
Old 12-05-2020, 04:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '10 X-14v
Vendee globe is currently running. Solo circumnavigation race. Most boats are just passing cape of good hope. One boat broke up in rough seas and the captain was rescued by the next closest boat at night in 4-5 meter seas and 30 knot winds. No small feat for a single crewed sailboat. Some really impressive boats and sailors.

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/web-tv

2010 X-14v, 1995 CC Ski Nautique
previous
2001 MC Prostar 190,
1989 CC Ski Nautique 2001,
1984 CC Ski Nautique,
1979 CC Ski Tique
Old 12-05-2020, 10:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
If i can find the barrel roll video i'll link it. There is a safety check that they refer to as a boat trick basically to get people to pay and watch. Anyway the captain single handed has to roll the boat a full 360 in the water. It is pretty crazy to watch and what surprised me the most was when they get them all the way back up and the captain comes out of the boat how little water they take on.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:59 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Way back in my college days I got into it. I had a friend with some good connections. When we lost and had to do the challenger series we watched like crazy because his yacht club lost out on a chance to go to Australia to race. If they would have won, I would have been flown there on a private plane and got to watch from a yacht with all the food and booze to be had. I was pissed when they lost and I had to watch it on ESPN!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :