Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2021, 08:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 X30, '22 XT23 on the way
Not surprised. That thread is so freakin awesome. I want the XStar S but to get the options I want it'd be about 30k more than a loaded XT23... I could get an X22, but it's just a hair to small for me, and the X24 is barely to big for my garage. I'd prefer to buy new, thus we settled on the XT23.

In all honesty I'm demoing this Centurion just to say I've done it. It's gonna have to be one hell of a boat to sway me from MC.

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC
Old 09-06-2021, 10:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covi View Post
I am and always will be a MC guy. Iím not going to lie, Iíve been looking at other late 80ís early 90ís ski boats. Iím seeing some awesome gel coats and color combos on some centurions, Malibu, brendella, etc.

Not sure what newer models are offering but, my opinion the ďotherĒ brands had some RAD style!
I Knew your Whaler love wouldn't satisfy that MC ski boat itch
Old 09-07-2021, 05:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '14 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
I'm not saying one boat burns less fuel than another, I was saying that changing the transmission ratio from 2:1 to 1.75 will not make much of a difference. It takes a lot of fuel to push a 10k lb boat through the water, and a small change in ratios or prop pitch is not going to change the fuel consumption very much
But it would and does,

different gearbox ratios change where in the engines power range is used and how much fuel & air is required. When running at full load, the engine will use less fuel at 3500rpm than at 4100rpm. Different prop shapes, blade numbers and diameters have different power curves so if you can balance the power requirements of the prop at x rpm (the thrust requirement) to a lower rpm, then it will be more efficient.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 X30, '22 XT23 on the way
Welp, I finally did it. Just got back from demoing an Ri230...

I guess I'll start with the wave... it was kinda insane! By far the most customizable wave I've ever seen. They started me on at a short and steep wave. I was thinking, "well, I suppose this is pretty good!" Then they're like check this out. All of a sudden the wave became 25 feet long while keeping the height and push. That was pretty awesome. Say what you want about MCs customizability, this thing has us beat.

THAT SAID, customizability isn't everything. I still prefer the wave of the X24. I found the MC wave feels a lot more playful and forgiving than the Centurion. The MC also has more push behind it, and can also get just as tall (just not as tall AND long) as the Ri. Keep in mind, I've spent over 75 hours on an X24, so I've become very acquainted with it's wave (and wave settings), which could be why I prefer it to the 230.

Another big conversation topic is Centurions rough water ride. Overhyped. X24 is just as good.

RamFill ballast is kinda interesting. It still takes a good 6 minutes to fill all the soft bags (4) and additional hard tanks (2). That said, it is a very efficient way to fill the huge ramfill tanks, which are 1900 lbs a piece. It'll fill those to 100% in about 45 seconds. It's actually genius, because otherwise, you'd be waiting 10 minutes for those tanks to fill. I don't think it's worth the hype about having the fastest ballast fill times, but it is certainly the smartest and most efficient way to fill those huge tanks.

Fuel economy in the Centurion was very good. We were surfing with full ballast (5250 lbs!) and 4 people and was only burning 9 gph, at high elevation. The motor in question was the ZZ6 (6.2 450hp/465lb-ft) Thumbs up there.

The dash in the Centurion was cool, and although MC and Centurion dashes pretty much do the same thing, MasterCrafts interface (dual screen) is hard to beat. Nautiques Link system is also better than Centurion imo.

The overall ergonomics in the centurion were not very well thought out. None of the seats were rounded, the cooler was in the midship walkthrough (which I hated), there wasn't a trash can (which I hated), the storage was literally 8 inches deep, driver footrest was at an awkward angle, the seats were to close to the floor, I could go on.

Sidenote, the sales guys (who were actually great, BoardCo is awesome) started bragging about the CNC billet inside the boat. Alright pal, thats cute.

Pricing. I could get a loaded Ri230 for the same price as a loaded XT23. I could even get a very well equipped Ri245 for the price of a loaded XT23. Almost comparing apples to apples in money terms.

At the end of the day, I'm jumping ship to Centurion! See ya suckers!!

Kidding. Keeping my slot on the XT23. I thought this the moment I stepped onboard the 230, and confirmed this the second I stepped off. There really is something special about MasterCraft.

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC
Old 09-10-2021, 10:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2020 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by TolCarMan View Post
Welp, I finally did it. Just got back from demoing an Ri230...

I guess I'll start with the wave... it was kinda insane! By far the most customizable wave I've ever seen. They started me on at a short and steep wave. I was thinking, "well, I suppose this is pretty good!" Then they're like check this out. All of a sudden the wave became 25 feet long while keeping the height and push. That was pretty awesome. Say what you want about MCs customizability, this thing has us beat.

THAT SAID, customizability isn't everything. I still prefer the wave of the X24. I found the MC wave feels a lot more playful and forgiving than the Centurion. The MC also has more push behind it, and can also get just as tall (just not as tall AND long) as the Ri. Keep in mind, I've spent over 75 hours on an X24, so I've become very acquainted with it's wave (and wave settings), which could be why I prefer it to the 230.

Another big conversation topic is Centurions rough water ride. Overhyped. X24 is just as good.

RamFill ballast is kinda interesting. It still takes a good 6 minutes to fill all the soft bags (4) and additional hard tanks (2). That said, it is a very efficient way to fill the huge ramfill tanks, which are 1900 lbs a piece. It'll fill those to 100% in about 45 seconds. It's actually genius, because otherwise, you'd be waiting 10 minutes for those tanks to fill. I don't think it's worth the hype about having the fastest ballast fill times, but it is certainly the smartest and most efficient way to fill those huge tanks.

Fuel economy in the Centurion was very good. We were surfing with full ballast (5250 lbs!) and 4 people and was only burning 9 gph, at high elevation. The motor in question was the ZZ6 (6.2 450hp/465lb-ft) Thumbs up there.

The dash in the Centurion was cool, and although MC and Centurion dashes pretty much do the same thing, MasterCrafts interface (dual screen) is hard to beat. Nautiques Link system is also better than Centurion imo.

The overall ergonomics in the centurion were not very well thought out. None of the seats were rounded, the cooler was in the midship walkthrough (which I hated), there wasn't a trash can (which I hated), the storage was literally 8 inches deep, driver footrest was at an awkward angle, the seats were to close to the floor, I could go on.

Sidenote, the sales guys (who were actually great, BoardCo is awesome) started bragging about the CNC billet inside the boat. Alright pal, thats cute.

Pricing. I could get a loaded Ri230 for the same price as a loaded XT23. I could even get a very well equipped Ri245 for the price of a loaded XT23. Almost comparing apples to apples in money terms.

At the end of the day, I'm jumping ship to Centurion! See ya suckers!!

Kidding. Keeping my slot on the XT23. I thought this the moment I stepped onboard the 230, and confirmed this the second I stepped off. There really is something special about MasterCraft.

Great write up. I think the big thing to factor in is ballast capacity: I donít deny that centurion has an amazing ďstockĒ wave, but itís also running way more ballast than the MC. Put and extra 1,000 pounds in a MC and it will be right there.

And while we are talking ballast- ramfill WOULD be awesome, except it only fills like half the ballastÖso now you have a pump system and a ramfill system and you have the drawbacks of both. Driving fast to fill the ramfill and then sitting around and waiting for the pumps to fill. I rather just to one or the other.

With fastfill I just hit the button and by the time I have my life jacket on, ripe tied off, and board on- the ballast is full.

I think all of that is overhyped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk