Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2019, 11:00 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: mb b52v23
Bow rise and running attitude XT23 vs XT22

Can someone that has spent time on both boats provide some feedback on bow rise and running attitude of an xt22 vs. the xt23?
I was recently demoed the xt22 and found myself standing up or leaning on the bolster most of the time while at surfing and wakeboarding speeds even with ballast empty. With surfing I know it is more or less normal but for running 17-22mph it was to the point that I was questioning if the tabs were positioned properly or the ballast was fully emptied. (I'm 5ft10" if it matters)
Dealer says xt23 runs with nose noticeably lower. I won't have time to take the xt23 out before I need to make a decision on what to buy to replace the MB if anything for this season, so some straight up info on this would be appreciated.
-Also if you have an xt22 does running just the front ballast bring the nose down and not wash the wake out when towing under 20mph? I tried playing with the trim tab but it seemed to wash the wake out, was I doing it wrong? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2019, 11:06 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_melter736 View Post
Can someone that has spent time on both boats provide some feedback on bow rise and running attitude of an xt22 vs. the xt23?
I was recently demoed the xt22 and found myself standing up or leaning on the bolster most of the time while at surfing and wakeboarding speeds even with ballast empty. With surfing I know it is more or less normal but for running 17-22mph it was to the point that I was questioning if the tabs were positioned properly or the ballast was fully emptied. (I'm 5ft10" if it matters)
Dealer says xt23 runs with nose noticeably lower. I won't have time to take the xt23 out before I need to make a decision on what to buy to replace the MB if anything for this season, so some straight up info on this would be appreciated.
-Also if you have an xt22 does running just the front ballast bring the nose down and not wash the wake out when towing under 20mph? I tried playing with the trim tab but it seemed to wash the wake out, was I doing it wrong? Thanks

I haven't spent time in the XT23 but I run about 200lbs of lead weight in the bow of my XT22. This helps with keeping the nose down a bit more and makes the surf wave a little longer. It is also more effective than the center tab in keeping the wakeboard wake clean if you want the bow down some.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2018 X-Star
If you are asking about cleaning up the wake for wakeboarding at lower than 20 mph, it should do that just fine. I have wakeboarded the XT22 a dozen times or so- I ride at 19mph. We filled all ballast at about 60% (front, port, starboard) with only 3 people in boat. I would not use any tab while wakeboarding - it makes the lip sloppy/washy.

at 19mph with 60% ballast the wake is large, clean and super fun to ride.

I have not surfed the XT22 a whole lot, maybe twice. It seemed respectable on stock ballast - and I am sure it would be money with more weight. That is my perception, but I am coming from surfing X23's and X30's with extra ballast - so the stock XT22 was a step back for me, but depends on what you are used to.

The XT23 I feel is one of the most underrated surf boats mastercraft has. With a little extra weight, the wave is just beautiful, tons of push, long, great shape. I have surfed multiple XT23's on many occasions - I really like the wave. I have only wakeboarded the XT23 once - With 50% rear ballast at 19mph - the wake was clean, but nowhere near as nice as the XT22. admittedly I did not play around with the ballast, so adding more weight in the nose may have helped with the wakeboard wake. I just know in my X30 to get the best wake it just wanted rear weight - so I tried that in the XT23 and was not super impressed.

Just my thoughts on those boats based on my experience, I am sure some have a different opinion.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:01 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacmikes View Post
If you are asking about cleaning up the wake for wakeboarding at lower than 20 mph, it should do that just fine. I have wakeboarded the XT22 a dozen times or so- I ride at 19mph. We filled all ballast at about 60% (front, port, starboard) with only 3 people in boat. I would not use any tab while wakeboarding - it makes the lip sloppy/washy.

at 19mph with 60% ballast the wake is large, clean and super fun to ride.

I have not surfed the XT22 a whole lot, maybe twice. It seemed respectable on stock ballast - and I am sure it would be money with more weight. That is my perception, but I am coming from surfing X23's and X30's with extra ballast - so the stock XT22 was a step back for me, but depends on what you are used to.

The XT23 I feel is one of the most underrated surf boats mastercraft has. With a little extra weight, the wave is just beautiful, tons of push, long, great shape. I have surfed multiple XT23's on many occasions - I really like the wave. I have only wakeboarded the XT23 once - With 50% rear ballast at 19mph - the wake was clean, but nowhere near as nice as the XT22. admittedly I did not play around with the ballast, so adding more weight in the nose may have helped with the wakeboard wake. I just know in my X30 to get the best wake it just wanted rear weight - so I tried that in the XT23 and was not super impressed.

Just my thoughts on those boats based on my experience, I am sure some have a different opinion.
Thanks for the feedback on the wakes/waves. That is a good comparison. I was satisfied with the wakes/waves on the xt22, biggest concern was how difficult it was to see over the bow at times. Wanted to know if there was a way to bring the bow down without ruining wake/wave performance or if I would be better served looking at an xt23 that is supposed to run with the nose lower.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:03 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecyclone View Post
I haven't spent time in the XT23 but I run about 200lbs of lead weight in the bow of my XT22. This helps with keeping the nose down a bit more and makes the surf wave a little longer. It is also more effective than the center tab in keeping the wakeboard wake clean if you want the bow down some.
Thanks for this. Good to know it can be brought down a bit without hurting performance.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2019 XT22
I'm 5'9 and with the hydraulic seat riser, I'm able to sit on bolster and see just fine when pulling a surfer. I typically run a light crew so I have 700Lbs of lead distributed in the cabin and maybe a third of that in the bow. The wave has both great height and length with strong push.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:53 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
I'm 5'9 and with the hydraulic seat riser, I'm able to sit on bolster and see just fine when pulling a surfer. I typically run a light crew so I have 700Lbs of lead distributed in the cabin and maybe a third of that in the bow. The wave has both great height and length with strong push.
I didn't know it was an option until you mentioned it. I talked to the dealer and they said the boat we demoed did not have it but it is available. Seems like a worthwhile option.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2018 MasterCraft XT22
I have the XT22 with 800 pounds of lead added to it. When I first drove the boat I noticed the nose takes off towards the moon but now itís just normal. I do launch sometimes with the center tab 100% down. That helps a lot and I cruise with it anywhere between 30-70% down depending on people location in the boat.

For the wave I prefer the XT22 over the XT23 because the wakeboard wave is cleaner and better. The surf wave is significantly better. I added 800 pounds to it now itís really great. I have 400 in the nose and 400 in the rear. So when we have 5+ people in the main area and nobody up front the 400 lead helps make the wave longer. I did try a X23 last weekend with 400 pounds of lead in it. I think the boat needs more weight to be a better surf wave. My XT22 was way better than it!