• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darrylwie
    TT Newbie
    • Aug 2019

2010 X25 Surfing on Starboard side

Hello,
    I am new to Team Talk as I just purchased a 2010 X25. I am very impressed, it is a HUGE upgrade over my 2006 Centurion Air Warrior in so many ways.
    However, I am having a hard time getting a decent surf wave on the right (Starboard side). My daughters and I are all goofy foot, so that is the side we surf on. The surf wave on the Port side is fantastic, so I don’t know why it is so different on the Starboard side.
    I am using a Mission Delta wave shaper and weighting the boat evenly (both side and KGB are full), but when I put it on the Port side (to surf Starboard) it seems to be further out of the water than on the opposite side. I was considering putting more weight on that side, but it seems counterintuitive for surfing??
    I tried the Gen 1 surf tabs, and they seem to be working, but I was wondering if maybe the port side tab is giving way under pressure?
    Also, the ballasts only seem to fill when the boat is revving around 1500-2000 rpm, which means that once I select my setup from the list, which you can only do at idle, it will set my tabs, but I have to fill the ballast manually. Anyone else experience this or nor what the fix is?
    Thank you,
  • drballenbc
    TT Enthusiast
    • Dec 2013

You need more weight overall surfing goofy side on an X25. What do you have for sacs in the rear? Stock is about 400lbs over each tank but you can fit 720's in there. I also have about 400 lbs of lead scattered ( 200 in the bow and 100 on each side in front of the rear tanks.) We add an additional 400 lb sac on the floor starboard side when surfing goofy to get the best wave.
    BTW for goofy side I use a wakemate shaper but I also have GSA tabs and use it at about 50% in addition to the shaper and run the center tab at about 30% at about 10.6-10.8 mph.
    Even with just the shaper it is pretty good( not using GSA). We have experimented an awful lot with goofy side cause me and all my kids are goofy.
    BTW I dont use the timers or presets for filling ballast, just fill them all till they overflow but not sure if the 2011 is different, I have the BIG screen.

Comment

• darrylwie
      TT Newbie
      • Aug 2019

I have extra sacs in. Both rear lockers, not sure how big they are, but they take up most of the space when full. I will have to play around some more, I guess. I read on another thread that a prop can make a difference? Not sure if that is true, or how much difference it makes?
      Also, is there a reason why the surf is so different on the right side? That is the part that is really confusing me.

Comment

• darrylwie
        TT Newbie
        • Aug 2019

When you installed the GSA tabs, did you remove the GEN 1 surf system? I also have the BIG screen, does it mess with the computer, or can you integrate it and still use the same controls? I am considering the GSA system.

Comment

• Psgwake
          TT Enthusiast
          • Aug 2016

Surf sides vary because of rotation of the prop. Just FYI

Comment

• Psgwake
            TT Enthusiast
            • Aug 2016

Will Mastercraft ever offer a counter rotation motor as an option? I guess for enough money anything is possible.

Comment

• drballenbc
              TT Enthusiast
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by darrylwie View Post
              When you installed the GSA tabs, did you remove the GEN 1 surf system? I also have the BIG screen, does it mess with the computer, or can you integrate it and still use the same controls? I am considering the GSA system.

The PO installed the gsa and had been using the gsa controls but when I took delivery the controls failed so the dealer wired the gsa in to the gen 1 controls so I can control them from the big screen and using the toggles on your right. There are some limitations with fine tuning while underway but other than that works very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• darrylwie
                TT Newbie
                • Aug 2019

Good to know, appreciate that!

Comment

• darrylwie
                  TT Newbie
                  • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Psgwake View Post
                  Surf sides vary because of rotation of the prop. Just FYI
                  That is what I thought, appreciate the clarification. Does buying a different prop help the surf wave at all?

Comment

• gwozhog
                    MC Devotee
                    • Jul 2013

Maybe try a suckgate

Comment

• J-train
                      TT Regular
                      • Nov 2015

I don't believe the Prop makes much of a difference in the wave or prop wash for that matter. I have a 2011 and my Starboard side is dialed. its exactly like drballinbc said, load up the sacs and cram the surf side. I use 2(two) wake shapers and that was the missing link for me. One just simply was not displacing enough water. You need an XL surf tab or two large suck gates/wake shapers to get a clean wave riding goofy. I also run the center tab down at 20-30%. add a 600lb bag in the front walk way and 6-8 friends to surf in a different area code.

Comment

• igormaster
                        TT Enthusiast
                        • Aug 2015

Goofy x25

My experience with goofy set up for x25 is actually better than port side exactly because of the prop wash. Just play with weight and suck gate. BTW I think if you use delta mission you have it too high on the hull because 25 haul has very narrow step at about 3.5 inches wide that would not accommodate delta mission where it suppose to be UNDER the waterline. The only brand I know makes narrow suction cup gates is swell makers and these guys jacked the price to over 350$ us which is not cool on my book. Most MC hulls after 2oo6 or so have those narrow step hulls that only accommodate 3.5 or less suction cups where they suppose to go to clean that wave. Also the suck gates only clean the wave which is purely cosmetic; you can surf all you want with a bunch of froth and still have tons of of push, steepness and length without any suck gates just using your native gen 1 tabs. One other thing about those tabs; I believe MC got it wrong on there software when presets put the port side tab down for “surf” port. The rule of thumb is to put the tab down on opposite side of the surfer.
                        Also don’t take the wave as a given right; it always changes which what it makes it a challenge. No matter what your boat or set up is it has to be constantly adjusted because of shifting winds, depth, people milling about the boat, other boats making waves, gas being burned making your boat lighter etc.
                        x25 with gen1 is a second great surf boat of that era after xstar and may be x45 just because it’s length makes a little more hustle to dial in for great surfing but other than that native limitation it is a great surf platform. Prop will only make a visible difference when you are at altitude and need extra HP. The plot of s simple; with only few people fill all hard tanks plus two at least 350 in the back and another 650 plus on the opposite side of the surfer. Tab down on opposite side of the surfer. Suck gate at the last bottom step of the hull. If you want longer wave put the gate away from the aft. You want steeper Wave for beginner suck gate as close to the back as possible. Then you can dial the steepness/length with middle tab; up shorter steep wave, down longer mellow wave for advance surfers who can hang back 15 feet from the swim platform.
                        Don’t rely on BIG preset modes of use and manually operate the ballast/tabs settings because exactly of the constantly changing conditions of the weather/water/weight. If you have more people start with less port side or star board ballast and keep the wave the way your surfer wants.
                        My two cents; you can have any boat put out surf wave; x25 is one of the better ones.

Comment

Working...
                        X