Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 09-18-2021, 05:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 ProStar 205 LTR330
Help with Anchor Light Wiring on 99 ProStar 205

Hi Guys

Anyone know the colours and location of the tower mounted anchor light wiring and where it runs on a 99 ProStar 205? The tower is the original Zero Flex.

I am repairing / replacing the tower mounted anchor light and there is no wiring in the tower. The current speaker wiring runs down the passenger side of the tower to under the passenger seat where the audio system is, and as this is the only hole into the boat for wiring I am assuming this is where the original anchor light also entered the hull. However I am so far unable to find an obvious connection with out pulling all the wiring apart ( and this is not easy for my long and fat body to contort under the passenger seat).

If necessary I can either run a cable to the rear anchor light plug ( preferred) or for added work I can run a cable under the floor and up into the dash to connect directly to the switch ( lots of effort).

BUT , I have to assume that as the factory tower had the factory anchor light, and that the only hole into the hull from the tower is on the passenger side, then there must have been provision in this spot to connect to - but so far I am unable to find it…?

Appreciate any help!

Mark

'99 Mastercraft ProStar 205 330-LTR
Old 09-18-2021, 10:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
I don't think the tower light was an option back then. The previous owner probably put it in and then realized running the wires was harder than he thought.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 205V
So would the wires run down the passenger side with the speaker wire or down the driver side so they are separated ? I'd think separating them would be best to prevent interference between the speaker signal and the power but then you'd have to drill extra tower hole(s) and an extra hole in the boat. Or would the jacket on speaker wire isolate them enough that running them with the power isn't an issue ?
Old 09-18-2021, 02:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpb185 View Post
So would the wires run down the passenger side with the speaker wire or down the driver side so they are separated ? I'd think separating them would be best to prevent interference between the speaker signal and the power but then you'd have to drill extra tower hole(s) and an extra hole in the boat. Or would the jacket on speaker wire isolate them enough that running them with the power isn't an issue ?
They run down the starboard side arm on my 2003 zero flex. Do you have a rocker switch or empty slot on your dash? Do you have small holes on the tower near the joint of the top and bottom arms? The wires are exposed at that joint, maybe 3 or 4in on my model year.

2003 X2 MCX
Old 09-18-2021, 02:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemac View Post
They run down the starboard side arm on my 2003 zero flex. Do you have a rocker switch or empty slot on your dash? Do you have small holes on the tower near the joint of the top and bottom arms? The wires are exposed at that joint, maybe 3 or 4in on my model year.
Do you have speakers on your tower and do their wires run down the port side ?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2021, 02:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpb185 View Post
Do you have speakers on your tower and do their wires run down the port side ?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I do. I have a pair of Pro 80's and both L&R are fed up through the tower on the port side. Friend helped me install and it was a bit of a bear. If I recall, I think we ultimately used a fish tape with some high test fishing line tied to the end and a shop vac.

You may be limited to 14AWG wire depending on the jacketing. I can't remember exactly, but I think I wanted to go with 12AWG, but didn't have enough room to get it through the pre-drilled holes at the joints.

Running the anchor light wiring should be considerably easier.

2003 X2 MCX
Old 09-18-2021, 07:06 PM
MC Devotee

Since our towers are made of aluminum, I have heard of people having success using an iron sinker, fishing line, and a strong magnet.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 ProStar 205 LTR330
The zero flex tower was an option in 99 and mine was factory fitted so I assumed the anchor light which was also factory fitted, had its wiring connected to the existing navigation rocker switch.

It is a 20year old boat and clearly some work has previously been done, as evidenced buy the lack of cabling from the tower anchor light down through the the tower to the dash.

I have pulled speaker wires and power cable through the tower already but as all the holes are on the port side this is where I ran it, but have not found a connection point for the anchor light power underneath the passenger seat area.

Does anyone know if there is an anchor light power point connection under the passenger seat area?

Mark

'99 Mastercraft ProStar 205 330-LTR
Old 09-19-2021, 12:49 AM
MC Devotee

I doubt there will be. As I said, I doubt the tower anchor light was an option back then. Heck, I don't think tower anchor lights became a thing until the late 2000s/early 2010s. Towers were a very new thing in the late 90s. You will have to run wiring up from the rear anchor light.