Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-31-2021, 12:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 205V
2000 Prostar 205V Speedometer Removal Help

I got tired of rodding out my pitot tube speedometers (no Perfect Pass) and decided to go GPS on my left speedo. I purchased the Nautic Laugic NL2 which is built for my boat, all you have to do to install is disconnect the harness from the back of the speedometer and plug it inline.

Here is my problem, after reading numerous threads about MDC deleting and gauge replacement, I thought all I had to do was reach up under the dash and remove the wingnuts from the 8 studs that hold the instrument cluster in place. However, I looked under my dash and it looks like this:
Name:  Boat Under Dash.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  96.7 KB

I don't see any way to reach behind the instrument cluster, there is some sort of fiberglass 'backing' that the wiring harnesses run through that blocks my way.

Anyone have any advice on this ? There are 3 fasteners on the top of the dash that I'm wondering if they need to be removed to access the back of the speedometer.
Name:  Boat Upper Dash.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  71.5 KB

Boat is a 2000 Prostar 205V

Thanks
Old 05-31-2021, 02:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Prostar 195 - LTR, ZeroFlex Tower
Yes, they have to be removed. I did exactly the same thing a few years ago. Works great.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwear View Post
Yes, they have to be removed. I did exactly the same thing a few years ago. Works great.
Is it just those 3 fasteners or are there more ? I saw a thread that mentioned 2 screws under the steering wheel ?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2021, 07:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 ProStar 205 LTR330
The gauges are mounted in the molded pod that screws to the fiberglass. You have to remove those 3 top screws you have already identified, and there are another 2 self-tapping screws on either side of the steering column that are reached from underneath - ie lying on your back on the carpet. Once you have removed these you can lift the molded dash up and you will be able to get to everything, but remember that all the cables etc are still attached so you do have limited access.

My advice would be to remove the earth cable from the battery before you start so you don't accidentally short anything out. Also, be very aware that the GPS Speedo units are sensitive electronic equipment and any short will fry them - make sure you wire up carefully and only once triple-checking do you reconnect the earth cable.

Mark

'99 Mastercraft ProStar 205 330-LTR
Old 06-05-2021, 05:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Update - this worked great, removing the 2 screws under the steering wheel and the 3 fasteners on the dash allowed access to the back of the speedometer. Total job only took about 30 minutes.

Next question - what does everyone do with their no longer needed speedometer tubing ? Remove from the MDC, kink and leave alone ? Remove completely ? If you removed completely, what do you use the plug the hole in the transom the tubing runs through ?
Old 06-05-2021, 08:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Sport Star 2000
Golf tee and then zip tie it.
2012 BMW K1300r
Old 06-06-2021, 08:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 ProStar 205 LTR330
I left mine in place as the next owner may want to go back to original...

The Golf Tee is a great idea!! I used a stainless screw with plumbers tape, but also doubled the hose over a few times and zip ties to hold it. Have also lifted the speed pitot tubes out of the water at the back of the boat. One broke as I was lifting it, but the other just sits up and out the water. I have a GPS speedo on one side, and SteadyPass sped control in the other hole of the dash so no need for either tube.

Mark

'99 Mastercraft ProStar 205 330-LTR
Old 06-06-2021, 09:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark rsa2au View Post
I left mine in place as the next owner may want to go back to original...

The Golf Tee is a great idea!! I used a stainless screw with plumbers tape, but also doubled the hose over a few times and zip ties to hold it. Have also lifted the speed pitot tubes out of the water at the back of the boat. One broke as I was lifting it, but the other just sits up and out the water. I have a GPS speedo on one side, and SteadyPass sped control in the other hole of the dash so no need for either tube.
Pretty much the same for me... golf tee (I do not golf) and a zip tie, stash the loose end in the dash (at will), turn up the out of service pitot.

I also carry an extra...

Attached Images

2 Peter 1:38
Old 06-07-2021, 06:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

They make 'Goof Plugs' for capping tubing, I use them in my drip irrigation system in my garden. I'm not sure if they will work here since it looks like the tubing has stretched at the end from years of being on a barb. I'll give them a try and let you know how they work. Otherwise it's golf tee.