Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-15-2020, 01:35 PM
TT Regular

Boat: No
Best way to drill hull

Hey guys,

What do you typically use to drill out a hull for larger diameter holes?

Iím installing some of the Mastercraft pull-up cleats and they look like a 3/4Ē diameter. I drilled into the gelcoat of an old Supra once for a simple Bimini top attachment and it broke apart a splintered some even at low drill speed with a new bit. It wasnít a clean and smooth hole in the end.

I know it is a hole and will be covered, but I donít want to create a future problem with such a large diameter.

Thanks for any suggestions and sizing help if you happen to know the diameter of those mounting posts. I got them from Marine Depot Direct and another member on here.

Thanks
Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2020, 01:37 PM
MC Addict

Boat: none
Good quality hole saw.

Painting tape over the area, run backwards, then forward once through gel
Old 10-15-2020, 01:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft Platinum Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
Good quality hole saw.

Painting tape over the area, run backwards, then forward once through gel
This is exactly what I did when I installed my pop-up cleats and it worked perfectly.

Do better than I did tho, really inspect underneath where you're mounting them (BEFORE YOU DRILL), so the support braces doesn't interfere with the mounting hardware.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 Prostar 197 TT
Tape over the area and use a nice new sharp forstner bit.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIABLO-3...-005/100098840

To make sure you don't have any interference with something in the back. I used a couple of high power magnets to be certain i knew exactly where my hole would come thru.

My Prostar had black ABS pads "pre" fiber glassed into the hull. I aimed right for the middle of them.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: No
Thanks Guys!

Baby steps for me. I look at the mechanical posts on here and it makes my head spin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2020, 11:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I've been quite successful with step drills (https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...lls-96275.html). They self-center in whatever existing hole you have, they drill slowly and controllably, and they leave nicely beveled hole through the gel coat. I run the drill backwards for a couple of seconds with pressure once I get to the right sized hole to melt/smooth the edge of the gelcoat to reduce the likelihood of spider cracks.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Starting a pilot hole tape and use a good drill in reverse, reverse prevents grabbing and chipping

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2020, 08:46 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
The issue with pilot holes and hole saws is he is drilling out a small hole to a larger hole so there is nothing to hold the pilot or hole saw in place.

It would be a lot of extra work, but I would suggest glassing in a block of wood to the back side so you can center up on the hole. Use lots of painters tape on the outside, fun the hole saw in reverse until you are through the gel and then continue in forward.

my .02

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'
Old 10-16-2020, 09:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X22 2020 6.2L
i like to take a fine rounded finishing file on a 45 degree angle to the gel at the edge of the hole to make sure there aren't any sharp edges. Follow that up with 1000 grit sandpaper to really smooth it out. Gets rid of any irregularities that can cause stress risers that turn into spider cracks.

2020 X22
2018 XT22
2014 Aqua Patio
2003 Malibu Response LXi
2001 Malibu Sunsetter
1978 Ski Supreme
Old 10-16-2020, 09:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
I used regular drill bits, since that's what I had on hand. Started small and stepped it up slowly, I think I used in total 6 different bits before getting to the 3/4" bit. Ran in reverse until I was all the way through the gelcoat, then forward through the fiberglass. To finish up, I used a 15/16" bit to chamfer the gelcoat. Just a little bit in reverse to smooth out the gelcoat.

One trick that I found to work well for me is to use a 5/8 bit as your last bit before getting to the 3/4" bit. Put the cleat up against the hole, and if it is out of alignment, you can run the drill in reverse and widen the hole in the direction it needs to go. As long as you aren't too far off and widen it so that it's even on both sides, the 3/4" bit will go in perfectly.