Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-19-2016, 06:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209
2003 Prostar 209 Steering Rudder Collar

[EDIT] 2002, NOT 2003...

I'm fixing my brother's 2002 Prostar 209 which (he says) has a bent rudder. He purchased a new rudder and collar but it (the new collar) has a larger outer circumference than the one being replaced. I'm refusing to drill the hull until I get a definitive answer that there is no other solution.

So...

Does MC still make the exact rudder and rudder collar user in 2002?

Relevant Info: This is the result of hitting a sandbar at relatively low speed. The steering became difficult after we freed the craft and there is a big shimmy at anything beyond no wake idling. I want to replace the prop shaft and prop BEFORE replacing the rudder but my brother insists on replacing the rudder first. The rudder steering does NOT bind out of the water. I'm going to replace the collar to appease him, so before we get into a discussion about whether or not it should be replaced, let's just assume that it needs to be done. Does MC still make the part? If they don't make the part I think I'd still replace the prop shaft before cutting the hull. Do you think I should start with the prop, test and then move on to the shaft or do the symptoms indicate to you that both the prop and the shaft need replacing?

Lastly, is there a FAQ related to prop shaft replacement I can read before bugging you about the procedure?

TIA,

David

Last edited by davidh; 02-25-2021 at 02:50 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-19-2016, 08:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft X-14, '09 Blue
MC does not make it. Do a search, prices vary from rediculous (MC) to cheap (fleabay or Greatlakesskipper). Try OJ, they may have actually made this item as they do supply many cast items in the running gear dept. Do a search for rudder, or vibration lots of reading in these pages if you can find it.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:38 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
well before you start buying parts to fix what you don't know is wrong try letting us help...
can you post a picture of the assembled underwater gear from the back vantage point? I would find it a bit odd that you would bend much by just sitting on the shore those parts are pretty tough but a whole day of bobbing around might tweak something... It could be the rudder, it could be the prop, it could be the strut and lastly the shaft.. not likely the shaft other parts bend way before that solid piece of steel...
Old 09-20-2016, 11:53 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
well before you start buying parts to fix what you don't know is wrong try letting us help...
can you post a picture of the assembled underwater gear from the back vantage point? I would find it a bit odd that you would bend much by just sitting on the shore those parts are pretty tough but a whole day of bobbing around might tweak something... It could be the rudder, it could be the prop, it could be the strut and lastly the shaft.. not likely the shaft other parts bend way before that solid piece of steel...
Thanks but I guess I wasn't clear. We were moving at ~20 knots when we first encountered the bottom. I wasn't driving but saw us go over the channel marker buoy. I hate not driving. We didn't back off throttle immediately, but luckily the bottom plateaued. We were able to get pulled out, but barely. I didn't take pics but the bottom looked great for what it had been through. The prop was bent.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
that makes more sense...

still a pic would be great... it vibrated because of the prop... but likely the strut is bent then you have to check the shaft for run out .003 then the rudder... Or call your insurance agent they will fix it you pay the deductible....
Old 02-22-2021, 02:22 PM
TT Newbie

Hello everyone...

Believe it or not, this was never completed! The boat has been garaged since I first posted. My brother has sold his lake home and I am getting back to this problem.

The main update is since this thread has been started, my brother has LOST BOTH the new and old prop assemblies!

Now I'm dealing with a boat with a hole where the prop assembly would be. Other than this issue the boat is in remarkable shape! Definitely worth the effort to revive her! I'm going to pick up the boat this week and will post pictures. I am lost on how to replace the rudder assembly. Do you all have any leads?

I will take it in to a dealer/boat repair for servicing. If there are any users in Southern California with a recommendation that would be great. If no I'll just take it to the authorized dealer in Lake Elsinore.

Thanks for your help so far...

Old 02-22-2021, 03:49 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh View Post
Hello everyone...

Believe it or not, this was never completed! The boat has been garaged since I first posted. My brother has sold his lake home and I am getting back to this problem.

The main update is since this thread has been started, my brother has LOST BOTH the new and old prop assemblies!

Now I'm dealing with a boat with a hole where the prop assembly would be. Other than this issue the boat is in remarkable shape! Definitely worth the effort to revive her! I'm going to pick up the boat this week and will post pictures. I am lost on how to replace the rudder assembly. Do you all have any leads?

I will take it in to a dealer/boat repair for servicing. If there are any users in Southern California with a recommendation that would be great. If no I'll just take it to the authorized dealer in Lake Elsinore.

Thanks for your help so far...

From information in this post, anything that needs to be done is DIY. Easy stuff. Parts are also available. Your labor is free and you control your own destiny with the repair timeline. Don't let your boat get tied up in some shop for weeks or months on end.

2 Peter 1:38
Old 02-23-2021, 01:04 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
From information in this post, anything that needs to be done is DIY. Easy stuff. Parts are also available. Your labor is free and you control your own destiny with the repair timeline. Don't let your boat get tied up in some shop for weeks or months on end.
This is good to know. I've built a couple of cars before so if replacing the shaft can be done by me I'll look into it. I know if I can find the rudder parts It would be simple to reassemble that portion. The prop shaft... I'll have to see how that's put together.

Does anyone know of a good place for parts? Is there an equivalent "shop manual" for these boats?

Old 02-25-2021, 03:35 PM
TT Newbie

I found the parts on waterskis.com. The rudder port part number is 200173. Can anyone verify that is the correct part number? They were not able to give me the dimensions over the phone but the site says it is compatible with my year, make and model.

Last edited by davidh; 02-25-2021 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:41 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Hard to say and pretty lazy on their part not to expand on information.

Take a few measurements and call them. Ask someone to open up the box and verify your measurements.

I will say that looks like what I would expect.

I work on mostly older boats and those varied from year to year but then I think eventually became more to standardization.

2 Peter 1:38