Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-27-2020, 01:27 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS w/LTR - my first MC!
You got a good price on the boat - I've been looking and there aren't many others that could be bought for that price in that kind of shape. As good as you are a flipping, I'd be tempted to keep flipping but not be in a big hurry to sell. Enjoy it a bit first ;-)
Old 08-27-2020, 03:18 AM
MC Addict

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
No need for a tower to surf. Fill that sucker with some cheap ballast bags and surf it!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 08-27-2020, 09:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 X23 6000GDI - Previous 2014 Gen2 X25 6.0L
In this hot market you seem to have a skill to find promising boats at good prices. Its very difficult to predict the COVID impact on the economy looking forward but it certainly has been good for the boating/RV business. Most states and counties are bracing for budget reductions for 2021 in the Billions of dollars each. And we have an election in a few months. Based on your skills I might suggest you flip one more time if you think you could move it quickly at a profit.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
It's pretty late in the season to upgrade the boat with tower etc and then try to flip. I'd buy a suckgate and some ballast bags with tsunami pump and start surfing it. You don't need a tower or perfect pass to surf. Put it up as is for a price you'd be happy letting it go with. Wait until spring to see if this market is still hot. Or go at it hard and upgrade it asap to try for a quick sell. With a boat that nice, I don't know if you'd get your money out of your upgrades, but it would definitely help sell it faster. Most people wanting a v drive want the tower also.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2020, 09:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X20 (my 9th MC)
Nice work! I also work hard to flip my boats.

I started in 2011 with a 1989 ProStar for $5,700 and now have a 2015 X20. The X20 is my ninth MasterCraft. Though I haven't yet made it to the point of having a "free boat", I estimate that I've acquired about $25k of equity from flipping and rolling up to a nicer boat on the next purchase. Of my eight previous sales, one was a breakeven sale and one was a $3,500 loss..otherwise, all the others gave a minimum $1,000 increase and that's AFTER my time using it. For example, I've owned the X20 for about 14-15 months and if I sold it, I'd probably profit about $10k.

My goal is to never have zero boats and never have two boats. I've been mostly successful at that goal. :-)
Old 08-27-2020, 10:09 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 maristar 210
I should clarify. Perfect pass is not necessary. I didn't have it for 2 summers on my boat. What it does add is that you get a good pull. I could hold speed easy enough. My wife on the other hand would watch were she was going and forget to look at the speedometer.

I think the $1200 for perfect pass would be a huge selling point if you try to flip the boat at some point in the future. I can have friends who have very little boat experience give me a good pull. On a test drive with future buyer who has never experienced cruise control, or who has used Scarab's complicated cruise contol, it would be a huge selling point how easy it is to drive someone at a certain speed.

If you are going to enjoy it for a while, (my suggestion) is that you should add perfect pass, 2- 750 lb sacks for the rear, 1-400 lb sack for the front walkway, 2 throw over the side pumps, and enjoy the boat.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2019 X22, '18 NXT22, '06 X30
I would keep flipping. From my experience you will want to trade up on the boats if you want to surf. In the end you may end up putting more money in this one than you can recoup.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1998 22.5
Thanks everyone!! So, I think the Maristar will be getting some upgrades from wakemakers and many others. Just can’t resist, despite some solid advice! Good winter project.
Budget:
Wakemakers $1,400
Monster Tower $2,800
Perfect Pass $1.200
New tunes if the budget allows.
If anyone has any leads on parts and pieces or suggestions. please let me know

Thanks again!
Old 08-28-2020, 02:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Centurion Typhoon
my advice is that if you're doing this as a winter project anyway and want to keep costs down, try to find most stuff used or secondary market. for instance, i found brand new wakemakers bags for my centurion on the MB forum and the dimensions happened to fit my rear lockers perfectly. $200 total for two bags that were still in the original box and cost the seller $450 originally. added thru-hulls and a two 1600gph Rule pumps that are marketed as bilge pumps instead of ballast pumps and they fill the 1280lb bags in 6 minutes flat.

shop around for the individual components and you'll likely find deals if you're patient. i've seen lightly-used PP Stargazers go for $6-700, nice amps and speakers go for half of the original cost. it's generally easy to tell who takes care of their stuff and would be good to buy from versus someone just unloading old equipment.

good luck! that boat looks like it is in great shape and would be a nice rig once you're done with it.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
Buddy of mine flipped fishing boats and motors until he eventually had a killer center console. He'd pull things out of kudzu and make 'em like new again. Wish I had his (and your) talents!