Boat overheating issue - possibly solved but question about strainer install...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidF
    MC Devotee
    • Feb 2016

Boat overheating issue - possibly solved but question about strainer install...

I have a 2008 X30 - had overheating issues before, putting the boat into limp mode. I was at least smart enough to watch the guy when he came over last time to see what he did about the issue. First was getting to the pre-tranny cooler - found seaweed. So, I tried that method first, got a lot out. Still overheating. I then replaced the impeller in the water pump - turns out the one I had in looked brand new but replaced it anyway. Still overheating. Had the guy come out this year and he then went to the next cooler after the pre-tranny - found A LOT of seaweed in that one. Took the boat out, temp up to 200 degrees fairly quickly but not as quickly as before removing the seaweed.

He then go back to the water pump and found that the bracket was broken, which he said is actually NOT very common. Suggestion now is to obviously get a new bracket and probably replace the water pump as with a broken bracket, it can cause the pump to vibrate etc. and affect the bearing (not sure what that is honestly), so I told him to do whatever he needs to do.

His main suggestion was to install a strainer under the middle seat area where there's quite a bit of room over the gas tank. Should solve the seaweed issue once and for all. Anyone else have of of these on their boat? I won't install it myself even though I believe it's fairly straightforward.

As a result of all this, no boat this Memorial Day weekend but at least the kid could tube from the Wave Runner!
    08 X30 - deader than dead...and crispy.
  • swatguy
    MC Maniac
    • Mar 2007

A lot of mfg and new meet boats have strainers. Pretty common and a good idea especially of you’re getting that much seaweed in there. Also look at your raw water intake and look into getting a different style with a finer screen.

My strainer is installed on the back wall of the rear bench inside the engine compartment.
    CURRENT: 2008 SANTE 210 w NSS

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
    2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
    2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
    99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
    88 2001 Nautique

Comment

• DavidF
      MC Devotee
      • Feb 2016

Good idea, thanks

Comment

• DavidF
        MC Devotee
        • Feb 2016

Bored so I’ll update y’all. Turns out the inside of the oil cooler was full of seaweed as well. Got it cleaned out by my dealer. New water pump and bracket installed. STILL overheating! Looks like now the additional culprit is possible the thermostat. Dealer took it out and drilled a hole in it so it lets in more water. Took the boat out, ran at 140 degrees after WOT for awhile. He did that so I could at least use the boat this weekend but obviously not a permanent fix. Ordering me a new thermostat. Strainer system didn’t come in yet but once it does, boat should not have any overheating issues. Lots of seaweed in our lake unfortunately.

Comment

• Upnorth07
          MC Devotee
          • May 2013

David, glad to hear you're able to use the boat a bit. But, you've had a hell of a time with yours since you got it.

Here's to more time on the water for you!
          Former: 2007 X15

Comment

Working...
          X