• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cbryan70
    MC Maniac
    • Jul 2006

1989 starting problems

Intermittent crank, figured out that it is the ground cable on the battery. Was able to get good connection for testing.(he is ordering new cables). do you know the length he will needd for a positive an negative on an 89 prostar with the battery cable?

Now for the odd part, when i crank the boat will start. AS soon as i release from start it kills everything. Only time the fuel gauge works is when cranking, not when on the on position. Vollt meter never moved cranking or not.

I replaced the ignition with a brand new one(wired the same as old switch) and still the same. My thought is either the old ignition switch pulled a wire at the on position when i removed the old one and i never reconnected or I dont have a clue.

If I pulled an ignition switch wire what color would it be that should be on the "on" position andd not the "start" position?

sorry for the crap spelling, keyboard is going on my cpu
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hoosier Bob
    She always misses me and when I turn her on it is hard to turn her off! She is MC and she completes me! She is the first ride that wants it as much as I do!
  • waterlogged882
    MC Master Poster
    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by cbryan70 View Post
    Intermittent crank, figured out that it is the ground cable on the battery. Was able to get good connection for testing.(he is ordering new cables). do you know the length he will needd for a positive an negative on an 89 prostar with the battery cable?

Now for the odd part, when i crank the boat will start. AS soon as i release from start it kills everything. Only time the fuel gauge works is when cranking, not when on the on position. Vollt meter never moved cranking or not.

I replaced the ignition with a brand new one(wired the same as old switch) and still the same. My thought is either the old ignition switch pulled a wire at the on position when i removed the old one and i never reconnected or I dont have a clue.

If I pulled an ignition switch wire what color would it be that should be on the "on" position andd not the "start" position?

sorry for the crap spelling, keyboard is going on my cpu
    posted
    93 190
    (safe click)
    John 14:6
    (safe click)

Comment

• mastercraftka
      MC Devotee
      • Jul 2017

I had this issue on my old jeep and it was a wiring issue at the coil. basically you are losing power to the coil as soon as you let go of the key. When cranking it is getting power from the battery and when you let go it should get it from the alternator.

check all the wires make sure they are all together and not grounded or loose.
      2017 XT23

Comment

• ahhudgins
        MC Maniac
        • Jun 2009

Normally, the wires on the "I" terminal are purple. With the key in the RUN position, you should have 12V DC out on the "I" terminal. This supplies 12V to the ignition circuit, the electric choke, and the gauges. I've also seen them wired with a purple wire for the ignition circuit, and a small red wire for the gauges.

Any chance that you have the wires mixed up on the ignition switch? This would explain why the gauge comes on when you are cranking but not on when the key is in the RUN position.
        Normally, the only wire on the "S" terminal is the Yellow wire with red trace.

I'm getting ready to replace a dash in a friend's 88 Prostar but he hasn't dropped it off yet.
        Last edited by ahhudgins; 03-24-2018, 10:55 AM.
        “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

• ahhudgins
          MC Maniac
          • Jun 2009

Forgot this....
          Attached Files
          “You realize your odds of winning the lottery are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day”….E-Trade Baby.

Comment

Working...
          X