• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FourFourty
    MC Maniac
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by maniacmikes View Post
    https://youtu.be/mATJ2bgdxL4

Not the best thought out or choreographed exercise...but I do feel I need to carry the torch a little since 440 doesn’t have a boat.

Not meant to be apples to apples, or scientific comparison to say that one is definitively better than the other....I was just out with some friends and I brought a tape measure. I definitely could have played around with the settings and done some stuff different, but I’m not boardco- I don’t get paid to make videos and sell boats, I want to enjoy my time on the lake.

My point is just that the X boats are in the same realm as the other “best in the world” surf waves...the rest is about setup and personal preference.

Of note, I’m 6’2” ; 210 pounds (thanks covid). I’m way bigger than the boardco guy. He is also much more talented than me...and this was my second run of the season- still rusty- and wearing a full wetsuit, riding my normal 4’7” board (pretty small for a guy my size).

Not really worth watching the video, so if you don’t want to click the link- I can just tell you I was about 30’ back at 12.5mph and could recover from the curl of the wave fairly easily...the rollers coming off the lake were making it challenging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We need a like/love button on this forum. Very nice

Comment

• MC25
      MC Master Poster
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by jewbacca View Post
      Honest question from someone who primarily wakeboards: Does big vs biggest really make a difference for most people here? Most of us are limited by our skillset, not the wave. I see the same thing in wakeboarding. Until you get to the point of throwing pro-level tricks, what does it matter? I'm throwing the same tricks behind my 205V stock wake as I would behind a perfectly tuned latest-gen X-star.
      No. It legitimately doesn’t. I can do my entire bag of tricks behind a direct drive Malibu.
      Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
      Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
      2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
      For Sale:
      2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• maniacmikes
        MC Devotee
        • May 2014

Honest question from someone who primarily wakeboards: Does big vs biggest really make a difference for most people here? Most of us are limited by our skillset, not the wave. I see the same thing in wakeboarding. Until you get to the point of throwing pro-level tricks, what does it matter? I'm throwing the same tricks behind my 205V stock wake as I would behind a perfectly tuned latest-gen X-star.

I 100% agree that at a certain point you need to stop b$&!*ing about the wave and work at being a better surfer.

With that said, when you throw a trick wakesurfing you lose speed...and a more powerful wave (not necessarily just bigger) will help you from losing the wave and recover. This is different than wakeboarding, it can definitely help you progress, but also can be a crutch, also like wakeboarding big wakes.

If you need an M235, or a Centurion, or an Xstar to stay in the wave after trying a 360...you’re doing something wrong...just like if you can only jump the wake on a wakeboard behind a sacked out G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        The question is not whether life exists after death, but whether you were alive before death - Osho

Comment

• jewbacca
          TT Enthusiast
          • Mar 2021

Yeah I mean, the measuring tape tests are pretty cool. I wouldn't have known the pockets were that long. But at the price points of the boats we're discussing, the difference in a couple of feet of pocket length would be towards the bottom of my consideration. Even if I were primarily surfing.

Comment

• gwozhog
            MC Devotee
            • Jul 2013

Yeah I mean, the measuring tape tests are pretty cool. I wouldn't have known the pockets were that long. But at the price points of the boats we're discussing, the difference in a couple of feet of pocket length would be towards the bottom of my consideration. Even if I were primarily surfing.
            This would make a great on going new thread to start.

Comment

• kvw4x4
              MC Fanatic
              • Feb 2015

I think for the average maybe 1 invert it’s not a big deal. But if your looking to progress and learn. It’s makes a huge difference hitting a wake the sends you effortlessly vs a wake where 50 % of your energy is used up trying to get some air. We have progressed through boats. 22 ‘ blue water. 2007 x15 to an Xstar. And it defiantly makes landing tricks easier the bigger the wake is. I don’t know where I would be categorized tho, multiple 180s 360s 5-6 inverts.
              2019 Xstar

Comment

• gwozhog
                MC Devotee
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by FourFourty View Post

Actually, this generation XStar was designed with the primary focus to be- A wakeboard boat that can accommodate, and excell, at providing a great wakeboard wake for ALL skill levels. While also being capable of a top notch surf wave.

It was not designed to be a "G-killer" at all.

They knew the primary focus was surf these days. And that a vast majority of buyers wanted a great pro level wakeboard wake that was also easy for lower speeds, and training beginners....... And everything between.

Past models weren't so great at meeting that goal (Because it wasnt the goal when they were built).

That is coming direct from the MC engineer that does the final validation on hull designs from MC.

This isnt 2013 anymore......... Centurion has been caught in surf performance by several others. At this point Centurion is simply throwing more weight at them, at the cost of 80% of the storage in the boat. Still a great wave, but no longer a standout in a sea full of other great surf boats.
                Just came across this video and reminded me of this thread from earlier this year. When you listen to the video at 1;04 does this not mean its being marketed as A G-killer along with its better than every other manufacturers boat out their too. The man working for mastercraft says best on the planet. I have a buddy that has owned both the g and a new Star and he also agrees too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7IWedprkE4

Comment

Working...
                X