Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-09-2019, 09:06 PM
osmonet's Avatar
osmonet osmonet is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,079
I'm sure both boats are nice and it looks like you did the homework on all the options.

Being a new MC owner and spending $100K, there is a value in buying from the local dealer. The guys from Midwest Watersports do a really nice job making sure you are taken care of. Its nice having that piece of mind / help when you're on the water and have some needs.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-09-2019, 09:48 PM
Maxirat427's Avatar
Maxirat427 Maxirat427 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Boat: '14 X30 6.2L, '96 SkiRay Tournament(sold)
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 305
Your local dealer will do the warranty work even if you buy a boat from another dealer. I doubt they're gonna hold it against you if you opt for a better deal. I bought my boat from out of state and had no issues getting warranty work done.
__________________
There may be better ways to relax than being on a boat...I just haven't found one yet!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-09-2019, 10:44 PM
noelle noelle is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Boat: 2010 Manitau, 175 Susuki
Location: MN
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxirat427 View Post
Your local dealer will do the warranty work even if you buy a boat from another dealer. I doubt they're gonna hold it against you if you opt for a better deal. I bought my boat from out of state and had no issues getting warranty work done.
I was actually just going to follow up with a dealership question. There have been a few comments with regard to the value of buying from a local dealer. After talking with our local dealer, I never have gotten the impression that they would not service or take care of warranty work for us if an issue arose if we ended up not purchasing from them. Being a first time buyer, I guess I don't fully understand all the benefits from buying from a local dealer. If someone could address this point a bit more it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-10-2019, 07:15 AM
JohnE's Avatar
JohnE JohnE is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Boat: XT22
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 12,219
All MC dealers are required to service any MC brought to them in a timely manner. And they will. But many typically go above and beyond for customers that bought boats from them. And it's nice to support the local dealer - you want them to still be around in the years to come. I'm not saying the OP shouldn't buy the demo, it sounds like the right boat for him.
__________________
Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-10-2019, 08:35 AM
Mastercraftdave's Avatar
Mastercraftdave Mastercraftdave is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelle View Post
I was actually just going to follow up with a dealership question. There have been a few comments with regard to the value of buying from a local dealer. After talking with our local dealer, I never have gotten the impression that they would not service or take care of warranty work for us if an issue arose if we ended up not purchasing from them. Being a first time buyer, I guess I don't fully understand all the benefits from buying from a local dealer. If someone could address this point a bit more it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Where you will see the difference is at times when the dealer is busy, he will always service his customers first as they should. I'm sure your local dealer will service the boat, but it may not be a one week turn around...

I learned this first hand, the deal was better than my local dealer, but service wasn't necessarily the quickest. When it was time for an upgrade, the local dealer was still a few K higher than out of state, but given all the electronics, I wanted to have pristine service. Since I purchased my boat from the local dealer, if I have a problem on the weekend, I'm almost guaranteed to have my boat ready to go for the next weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-10-2019, 01:03 PM
SaltwaterMC's Avatar
SaltwaterMC SaltwaterMC is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Boat: 2008 40th Anniversary X-Star Saltwater Series
Location: Southeast
Posts: 360
That's a tough one. I, too, see the value of supporting your local dealer. However, if the 2018 is a better option for you, then I wouldn't not buy the boat that best fit your needs/budget just to support your local dealer in hopes for better service if and when that situation arises. It seems as though the dealer with the leftover 2018 is pretty motivated to move that boat. Have you given any thought to closing the deal on the 2018 contingent upon the dealer upgrading you to the 7" touchscreen? I mean, if it's already a well priced option, with a superior engine, and the dealer has already come off of his price once, it may not be unreasonable to think that you could get that boat with the upgraded dealer installed 7" touchscreen at a significant enough of a savings to make that the clear option. Maybe I'm way off, but I'd definitely get what I wanted (or at least try) as it seems like the dealer is eager to get that boat off of his lot. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-10-2019, 01:11 PM
noelle noelle is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Boat: 2010 Manitau, 175 Susuki
Location: MN
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterMC View Post
That's a tough one. I, too, see the value of supporting your local dealer. However, if the 2018 is a better option for you, then I wouldn't not buy the boat that best fit your needs/budget just to support your local dealer in hopes for better service if and when that situation arises. It seems as though the dealer with the leftover 2018 is pretty motivated to move that boat. Have you given any thought to closing the deal on the 2018 contingent upon the dealer upgrading you to the 7" touchscreen? I mean, if it's already a well priced option, with a superior engine, and the dealer has already come off of his price once, it may not be unreasonable to think that you could get that boat with the upgraded dealer installed 7" touchscreen at a significant enough of a savings to make that the clear option. Maybe I'm way off, but I'd definitely get what I wanted (or at least try) as it seems like the dealer is eager to get that boat off of his lot. Good luck!
I did ask the dealer with the 2018 if there was an option of updating the current dash to the 7" screen (we would be willing to pay a little more to make the 2018 perfect), and he said that it could not be done. Has anyone had any experience with changing out the dash screens on the XT23? After asking the dealer, I just assumed that it was something that was just not feasible.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-10-2019, 02:21 PM
SaltwaterMC's Avatar
SaltwaterMC SaltwaterMC is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Boat: 2008 40th Anniversary X-Star Saltwater Series
Location: Southeast
Posts: 360
Now that you say that, I'm thinking the options may have been either the dual screen dash or the 4.3" non-touchscreen for 2018 and they reintroduced the 7" touchscreen as an in between option in 2019. I'm sure someone else can confirm, but if that is the case, then I guess that makes the decision a little more difficult.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:21 PM
SteveO's Avatar
SteveO SteveO is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Boat: 2019 XT22
Location: Center Hill Lake
Posts: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelle View Post
I did ask the dealer with the 2018 if there was an option of updating the current dash to the 7" screen (we would be willing to pay a little more to make the 2018 perfect), and he said that it could not be done. Has anyone had any experience with changing out the dash screens on the XT23? After asking the dealer, I just assumed that it was something that was just not feasible.
The upgrade is simply not feasible. In the 4.3 setup, the radio and electronics are separate. I suppose they "could" replace the entire dash to get you to the 7 screen, but other electronics and likely the main computers are involved. In 2018 you had 2 dash options: Dual screen and 4.3. In 2019 you had 3 options: Dual Screen, 4.3 and 7.
__________________
2017 NXT22, 2015 NXT20, 2007 X2, 2002 209
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-20-2019, 06:07 PM
jthom22's Avatar
jthom22 jthom22 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Boat: 2017 XT23
Location: Midwest
Posts: 160
Hey noelle, I'm on White Bear Lake as well and went through a very similar experience this past winter. I was considering two closeout '18 XT23s at Midwest Water Sports vs. a 12hr demo '17 XT23 from a dealer in Wisconsin.

In a nutshell, the '17 was very well optioned, and priced significantly lower than the lesser equipped '18s at MWS. I struggled with the decision not to buy from MWS but ultimately made the call on the closeout '17. The deal was just too good to pass up. What I can say on behalf of Midwest Water Sports...they were nothing but professional when I shared my decision, and have been more than willing and helpful as I've called on them to schedule service. They'll take good care of you even if you buy the demo.

As far as the boat, there are a few things that have stood out to me after the first 35 hours or so:

The 5500GDI has been a pleasant surprise. As compared to the 5.7, there's a noticeable difference with a full crew and ballast. And, the fuel savings has been significant. Our gph appears to be markedly better than the 5000 motor. To be clear, this is all just running stock. I can't speak to changing props, etc. In the end - the 5500 motor has probably been the biggest surprise to me. Going into the whole process, I was very "meh" about the 5.3. I'm not any more.

I was down on Dockstar early on (by early on, I mean like 3 weeks ago)...even ripped it a bit on this forum. I expected the boat to handle like an I/O or an outboard with it rather than my experiences over the years with inboards. It doesn't. At all. That said, once you come up the learning curve, and get a feel for how Dockstar responds, you can actually get the boat to do just about anything you want. I've tucked into a few tight port-side parking spots at Tally's recently that just wouldn't be an option without it. Even got a few "how'd you do thats?" It's not intuitive, but it's slowly growing on me. If you need to get into tight spaces regularly...especially backing to port, you'll appreciate it.

I've enjoyed the 7" touch screen. We've used the stock profiles, and we've set up at least 5 other profiles for my four teenage girls. It's amazing how much a small change can impact the wave. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me at this point, but it has been at the top of the nice to have list.

The thread from my experience is further down in this What is This Boat Worth section. Happy to connect if at all helpful. Good luck and looking forward to adding another MC to White Bear Lake!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 PM.


2018