Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 08-13-2019, 04:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster02 View Post
What I'm saying is that right now EV's really are a fad, the thing that those with disposable income can buy and say "look at me I got the newest toy and I'm saving the environment".
I would agree that those purchasing the Tesla's hopefully have more disposable income than others. However, I believe there are several benefits (already listed) that are more than just a tree hugger and "look at me" approach.

Quote:
Kinda like those that buy those goofy backwards trikes that serve no purpose than attention getters.
Tesla has disrupted the market. There is no question about it. If someone is looking to buy a premium vehicle in the Model 3 price range or higher, I see really no reason to look further than the model 3 right now.

Quote:
When EV's are perfected, and can match in useability, and price, the current offerings from the big three, then I'm in. Until that time it's just an expensive cool toy for well heeled folks.
Battery tech is really the only thing preventing these from becoming more mainstream and there is a race on that front. The prices are just too high for mainstream. I feel it's got to be under 30k. Accord EX going for 27k starting and Toyota 29k for the XLE. So Tesla is getting very very close. However, again the competition is heating up.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharmon203 View Post
I would agree that those purchasing the Tesla's hopefully have more disposable income than others. However, I believe there are several benefits (already listed) that are more than just a tree hugger and "look at me" approach.

Tesla has disrupted the market. There is no question about it. If someone is looking to buy a premium vehicle in the Model 3 price range or higher, I see really no reason to look further than the model 3 right now.

Battery tech is really the only thing preventing these from becoming more mainstream and there is a race on that front. The prices are just too high for mainstream. I feel it's got to be under 30k. Accord EX going for 27k starting and Toyota 29k for the XLE. So Tesla is getting very very close. However, again the competition is heating up.
Anyone that can read knows that it's not all he's saying. I've chosen to ignore him because it's entirely pointless to argue with someone that refuses to acknowledge the facts presented to them.

I can think of multiple reasons why to not look at a Model 3. The primary among them is the poor QA that continues to plague Tesla. In order to get the prices to where they are and vehicles out the door rapidly, shortcuts were taken.

I drove a Model S. Hated the ergonomics and interior design. I know I will hate the even more minimalist Model 3 design more. I'm also not a big fan of electronic nannies (for myself), so if gas vehicles are phased out, I will be taking an older vehicle and converting it to electric.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:06 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X80
Darn it, I'm out of popcorn.... No one post anything till I get back.... I love this place...
Old 08-14-2019, 02:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC,197,2004,350
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP9k...PWY2n2DPvFMNgI

I WANT THIS!!
Old 08-14-2019, 02:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maybe
To post #80.
No, not at all. But I don't worship at the feet of it either. Glad you are amused, I get that way reading a lot of posts on here also.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
85 posts in and no one is talking about the fact that the batteries weigh the same when they are charged and when they are not therefore electricity is a myth.

EECyclone told me

2017 Nissan Maxima SL

Lonestar Masterbash
https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...d.php?t=100065

Texas A&M '21

I lead the fight to ban the swimsuit thread, help me bring it back: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...58#post1494758

2019 Stanley Cup Champions
Old 08-15-2019, 08:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC,197,2004,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDA6339 View Post
85 posts in and no one is talking about the fact that the batteries weigh the same when they are charged and when they are not therefore electricity is a myth.

EECyclone told me
HA! and if a witch weighs the same as a duck, we burn her!
Old 08-15-2019, 08:34 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2018 NXT20
It surprises me that no one points this out...Yes, there may be a lot of free charging stations now, but NOTHING in life is free. The charging stations are subsidized, which wont last. If electric vehicles take off, they wont be free anymore.

Converting Energy is HIGHLY inefficient, and that includes an internal combustion engine, most of the energy ends up being heat. However, burning coal to turn it into electricity to charge your car is 100000000x (approx ) worse. Sure, if those charging stations were powers by solar panels then in theory the only harm to the environment is the batteries, which you can argue are recyclable, but they are recyclable today, so why are there so many in landfills? Of course you wouldnt be able to generate enough power with solar/wind to even think about powering all the cars on the road, let alone all the other power we need, we are so far from that capability if it is even a physically possible thing.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:43 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbrouder View Post
It surprises me that no one points this out...Yes, there may be a lot of free charging stations now, but NOTHING in life is free. The charging stations are subsidized, which wont last. If electric vehicles take off, they wont be free anymore.

Converting Energy is HIGHLY inefficient, and that includes an internal combustion engine, most of the energy ends up being heat. However, burning coal to turn it into electricity to charge your car is 100000000x (approx ) worse. Sure, if those charging stations were powers by solar panels then in theory the only harm to the environment is the batteries, which you can argue are recyclable, but they are recyclable today, so why are there so many in landfills? Of course you wouldnt be able to generate enough power with solar/wind to even think about powering all the cars on the road, let alone all the other power we need, we are so far from that capability if it is even a physically possible thing.
You cant tell people this. They think because it electric, no fossil fuels are used to make the car move. Big misconception.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbrouder View Post

I actually did cover it earlier. In California, the cost of charging an electric vehicle at paid stations is about the same as driving a hybrid. However, charge at home and that cost drops to about 1/4.

Clean coal technology is a thing, and is far cleaner than most diesel engines. Add on the fact that there is a significant number of people that delete diesel emissions equipment. Power stations are also generally more efficient than ICEs due to the fact that they can operate at temperatures that would typically destroy car engines. There is also always the option of going nuclear.

I don't know where you're getting your battery landfill facts from, but in the US, automotive batteries have an extremely high recycling rate. There is a lot of money in recycling car batteries in general, unlike household batteries.

There is enough solar energy hitting the earth to power all of our needs at least 100 times over. The issue is the cost of solar panels and the mining of raw materials for them.