• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kogs
    TT Newbie
    • Jan 2018

Horrible warranty service experience happening

Hey all,

Over the last month I have gone from one of the biggest Mastercraft advocates to properly one of the worst critics. It is so unfortunate honestly, but its the most pathetic service I have ever had in my life. I expect at least an even average service when you buy a 100-200,000 boat- or anything for that matter.

Background: My 2015 x30 has been perfectly cared for and maintained though the history since I bought it from the dealer 4 years ago. It ran perfectly last summer and every year before it. It ran so perfect I honestly was so pumped to buy another. I was going to buy an X24 this year and had already been looking at the dealership.
    The first time taking it out this year I noticed a noise that has never been there. only at 1200 rpm metal on metal sound- not a pleasant sound. Immediately, took it to the dealer. Within hours the tell me v drive is bad and they will have to order one. No problem I thought...Well was I in for a big surprise into the workings of Mastercraft as a business.

Still under warranty, I expect, like literally any other manufacturer, to order a part and be done with it. 1-2 weeks I am thinking. Well 4 weeks later - going on week 5 now, I still do not have my boat back.

Mastercraft tried to get out of the warranty initially as I do my work myself. I had all receipts and proof. They still made the mechanic take oil samples, check shaft play, check literally everything that would have been my fault, even take a magnet to check the oil-pan for metals. Everything came back perfect. Had it not, MC would have voided my warranty- thanks for telling me this MC when I bought the boat, you told me it was fine for me to do my own work! Apparently thats sketchy as hell. FYI. Okay learned my lesson there- even if I did it right- they aren't very apt to wanting to honor a warranty. The mechanic even told me they just denied a guy a 2019 engine because of the same thing. Different case, I know, but it clearly does happen. It was not a good feeling knowing they were not just honouring it- but okay I thought, fine, I understand...Then...

Fastforward 3 weeks, Mastercraft told the mechanic to literally take the v-drive apart to 'see' what the issue was. Like why not order the part that takes a week to come in and then dissect the issue? Why make your customer wait. And trust me, summers are SHORT in Canada, so every day counts. Still had not ordered that good old v drive.

Next, after that took 3 weeks, Mastercraft then contacted Ilmor as they did not want to pay for it! Awesome! And apparently they are bickering back and forth- they even then tried to get another third party player in the v drive to pay for it. ... Still waiting to hear!

Yay for your client who was about to drop cash on a brand new boat! So I call the manager at this point, and he tells me and I QUOTE: "ya, that sounds like MC and Ilmor!"...haha, oh does it now?! lol. Awesome. Glad MC and Ilmor care to bicker over an 8k v drive.

The manager then tells me he'll call me back and he doesn't. He gets his mechanic to call me instead (who honestly was the only reasonable guy there who even seemed remotely interested in helping me. F me, is this the kind of service we should come to expect. It is embarrassing for Ilmor and Mastercraft. It's the most pathetic experience I could have imagined. It's a shame and certainly will take a lot for them to get me to buy another now.
  • epnault
    MC Devotee
    • May 2010

Hi Kogs. Sorry to hear about your experience. My experience with the warranty has exceeded my expectations but I know this has more to do with the dealer than the factory/OEM. Could be any of the brands, the dealer matters. Dealers are supposed to be the face of the brand and they shouldn't be dragging you through the drama behind the scenes. They should have just gotten you back on the water and sorted out the crap later. I hope this works out for you. If you are still not satisfied I would contact MasterCraft on your own and share your experience.

Comment

• FourFourty
      MC Maniac
      • Nov 2010

For what it’s worth....... sometimes it’s the dealer. They tell a good story, and they pass blame.

Either way, hopefully this gets fixed for you ASAP!

A brand new ZF-68IV vdrive transmission is only $3,500 retail. You wouldn’t think they’d have such an issue swapping it.

Comment

• JohnE
        Super Moderator
        • Jan 2006

I was also going to say that the story you get from some dealers is not always accurate. Sorry to hear about your situation.
        Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.

Comment

• tex
          MC Platinum
          • Aug 2004

Love Texas Mastercraft! Good luck my friend!
          2002 Blue Prostar 197, 0 Flex Tower, Perfect Pass, and The Preditor-ADHD Skier

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :

Comment

• JimN
            MC Master Poster
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by kogs View Post
            Hey all,

Over the last month I have gone from one of the biggest Mastercraft advocates to properly one of the worst critics. It is so unfortunate honestly, but its the most pathetic service I have ever had in my life. I expect at least an even average service when you buy a 100-200,000 boat- or anything for that matter.
            Did you call corporate? Do that and make sure you have all documents that might pertain.

WRT "It's OK to do your own work"- that needs to be in writing, but you also need to realize that they have seen so many claims that the work was done correctly when it wasn't, that they all have to draw a line, somewhere. The fact is, most boat owners DON'T know how to service their boats and if you read what people are doing when they "troubleshoot", logic doesn't seem to enter the picture.

Don't get me wrong- if you search my comments about dealer competence, you'll see that I have been very harsh but it's not out of hatred for dealers, it comes from having been a MC trained service tech. A large part of my problems with dealers is in how they manage their service departments and how they communicate, or don't. The service manager may have been legitimately busy and if the mechanic knows what he's talking about, it may be that he's the next in line in the department- much better than having shmendrick call people and not know what he's talking about.

WRT an $8K V-drive: the transmission is separate from the V- there's no reason the whole assembly should need to be replaced. Granted, working on some boat transmissions is a royal PITA, but yours should be accessible from the front, anyway.

You don't buy parts before knowing the problem.

I think you need to look into something- you wrote that you have a 2015 X-30 and that you bought it 4 years ago- if it has a 7 year powertrain warranty, have them scan the ECM and look for evidence of overheating- if it has overheated, does this void the warranty? If it hasn't overheated, I think they're shooting themselves in the foot by taking so long and trying to get out of covering the repairs, but then, I'm an outsider.

DO NOT call MC and yell at them.

Comment

• FourFourty
              MC Maniac
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JimN View Post
              WRT an $8K V-drive: the transmission is separate from the V- there's no reason the whole assembly should need to be replaced. Granted, working on some boat transmissions is a royal PITA, but yours should be accessible.
              This has changed on the newer MCs. Some time around 10 years ago, they switched to the ZF 63IV, which was superseded by the 68IV. Both are a trans and vdrive in one unit.

Comment

Working...
              X