• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paintpollz
    MC Devotee
    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by jlane330 View Post
    Next step is to fixture the gauge in my mill or lathe and cut off the cracked lens, to be replaced with the glass lenses I bought. Not quite sure yet what I will use for adhesive, have some ideas and options that need to be tested.
    Where did your get the glass gauges? Did you install them? What did you use for adhesive?

So many questions....
    Kevin

Comment

• jafo9
      MC Devotee
      • Jan 2011

Here is the inside of my engine temp gauge 02 X30. My plan is to replace the stepper motor as the gauge stays pegged off the scale. So I desolder the 5 connectors at the bottom peaking out behind the stepper motor? Then does the board just pull out? Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

• paintpollz
        MC Devotee
        • Oct 2014

Lenses!!! Where do we get replacement lenses!!!!???
        Kevin

Comment

• Wheelin98TJ
          MC Devotee
          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by paintpollz View Post
          Lenses!!! Where do we get replacement lenses!!!!???
          I saved this link awhile ago, but it appears the item is no longer available. Maybe the vendor can still help somehow.

The ultimate aftermarket automotive gauges for any vehicle. Shop our huge selection of high-performance and customizable gauges - backed by a Lifetime Warranty!

Comment

• Fullpass
            MC Devotee
            • Dec 2013

Yes, just desolder…slowly and gently pull, try not to remove the all the solder from the board, will make installing new stepper that much easier…be patient, there is a large amount of solder on each pin makes it a pain let us know how you do and results.

Comment

• Tsumi
              MC Devotee
              • Feb 2012

A cheap solder sucker would get the solder off much easier.

I opted for replacement with Faria gauges and with GPS speedometer. Can easily be done in a weekend. I would fix the Medallion gauges but without a good source for the lenses, it's a moot point.

Comment

• jafo9
                MC Devotee
                • Jan 2011

Sorry for the delay on this post. It took me a while to get back around to putting the gauge back together. I sourced the GM stepper motors off Amazon. Soldering it back together went a lot faster than taking it apart. If I do another gauge, I'll probably try to find a more slender soldering iron. I don't know if they make tiny solder suckers but mine was also too big for this job. I had to use the solder wick tape which was fairly tedious compared to a solder sucker. Here are the pics of the reassembly.

My two questions are:

1: How do I know where to put the sweep/pointer? My first thought was to just plug the gauge in and power the boat and put the sweep at the 80 degree mark. Or should I set it to ambient temperature and just estimate where the sweep should sit?

2: In what environment should I reseal the lens? I'm worried about sealing in water and thus having condensation on the inside of the lens.

Thanks all.
                Attached Files

Comment

• tjrowbot
                  MC Fanatic
                  • Sep 2017

I am not sure the reason behind this thread, if you are trying to fix the gauge for fun or you can't find a replacement, but if you need a replacement, I have a temp gauge off a 2000. You can have it.

Comment

• tph
                    MC Devotee
                    • Jul 2004

Gauges

Originally posted by Skilavender View Post
                    Medallion will still make gauges. I just ordered the set for my 2002 Prostar 197. PM me if anyone is interested in the contact information
                    Will they have MC logos?

Comment

• Fullpass
                      MC Devotee
                      • Dec 2013

maybe a day late, but here is a couple answers:

1. before removing the sweep hand, turn the sweep had to the left and put a piece of tape next to the sweep hand pointer itself on the face of the gauge before removing the sweep hand…this is your zero position.

2. Maybe a day late, but a solution would be to run the boat without the gauge face lens and sweep hand, the temp should come up to the 160 mark ( the stepper itself will have rotated to the 160 position in theory ), or the mark as you remember it….then place the needle back on at the 160 mark….while the engine has completely warmed…as the engine cools overnight the the sweep hand will be in the correct zero position.

As for why to replace the stepper yourself, all your other gauges will fail overtime…like your entire gauge cluster, its not if, just when.

congratulations! on fixing your gauge. Stepper motors are cheap compared to gauges.

Comment

• Skyskiguy
                        MC Devotee
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by Fullpass View Post
                        maybe a day late, but here is a couple answers:

1. before removing the sweep hand, turn the sweep had to the left and put a piece of tape next to the sweep hand pointer itself on the face of the gauge before removing the sweep hand…this is your zero position.

2. Maybe a day late, but a solution would be to run the boat without the gauge face lens and sweep hand, the temp should come up to the 160 mark ( the stepper itself will have rotated to the 160 position in theory ), or the mark as you remember it….then place the needle back on at the 160 mark….while the engine has completely warmed…as the engine cools overnight the the sweep hand will be in the correct zero position.

As for why to replace the stepper yourself, all your other gauges will fail overtime…like your entire gauge cluster, its not if, just when.

congratulations! on fixing your gauge. Stepper motors are cheap compared to gauges.
                        I marked mine before disassembly - that doesn’t help you at this point. I like the idea of running it up to temp then install needle.

Comment

• jafo9
                          MC Devotee
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Skyskiguy View Post
                          I marked mine before disassembly - that doesn’t help you at this point. I like the idea of running it up to temp then install needle.

Part of the problem with the gauge was that the needle was pointing down rather than up so i couldn't make a reference mark. the boat is winterized so i couldn't run the motor. i did power it up and once the gauges went through their startup process, then i put the pointer at the far left position on the dial. I'm hoping this works as I'd like to seal the lens back on when it is cold and dry vs. hot and humid when i summarize the boat.

as far as why repair and not replace. from a time standpoint, it would probably have been cheaper to just buy a replacement but i couldn't find one. i really prefer the factory look so i'd like to hold off making the analog swap if possible. heck, i dissembled the radio in my 97 toyota to replace various light bulbs to retain the factory look.

thanks again for the comments.

Comment

• tjrowbot
                            MC Fanatic
                            • Sep 2017

As I mentioned, you can have the temp gauge if you need it. Just let me know. I already made the change to analog and have the others laying around.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by tjrowbot; 02-21-2020, 11:35 AM. Reason: Additional explanation

Comment

• tjrowbot
                              MC Fanatic
                              • Sep 2017

Just replied to your IM

Comment

• gwozhog
                                MC Devotee
                                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Skilavender View Post
                                Medallion will still make gauges. I just ordered the set for my 2002 Prostar 197. PM me if anyone is interested in the contact information
                                Anyone know if medallion still makes the mmdc that you can buy direct for them? I see people selling them on eBay but I have a feeeling those are very old new stock that was never sold.

Comment

Working...
                                X