• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tex
    MC Platinum
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I would prefer they just enforce existing rules....noise restrictions and responsibility for damage done by your wake and distance from docks, other boats

I don't mind surfers.

I do mind.....

Blaring stereo (all about me, look at me) at 7am

Running too close to mooring boats/boats not on plane and swamping them

Running to close to my dock and swamping it

If it weren't for a few ***-hats that don't care about anyone else, we wouldn't need legislation....however we don't need more rules

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    Well said!
    2002 Blue Prostar 197, 0 Flex Tower, Perfect Pass, and The Preditor-ADHD Skier

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :

Comment

• osmonet
      TT Regular
      • Mar 2015

MN DNR recently sent out a boating questionnaire. 5 of the questions dealt specifically with surfing, wakes, etc. the way the questions were worded suggested they were targeting a specific response from the public. Looked to be an opportunity for people to vent about nuisance from these activities.

Several of the more popular lakes have already attempted to restrict these activities. Unsuccessful so far, but momentum keeps building. Survey is latest step in this process and likely a precursor for future action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• JohnnyB
        MC Maniac
        • Oct 2004

Lots of people on small lakes (<200 acres) with small fishing boats and kayaks and canoes, pontoons that never get on plane, etc. Worst wave a lake like this sees might be a 3 footer during a severe storm. Now carelessly run through on a calm day with a sacked out surf or wake boat generating something that large or larger and you are gonna cause trouble swamping and tipping stuff over.

The typical boat not on plane going by pulling little kids on a tube might lap water over my dock....somebody being careless surfing with their wake tractor will wash chairs, beachtowels, tables and drinks off my dock....it has happened.

Note I suggest "carelessly' as there are many on this site that do this responsibly but probably as many or more in this world that don't.

Although I really hate the idea of laws against surfing as it opens the doors to similar laws against other water sports, I can see limits based on the size of boat on a body of water being a reality....

Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

• hyman989
          MC Fanatic
          • May 2016

Has anyone seen what's happening in Portland on the river there? Just look one small tin bat group was on happy hitched enough and got the law changed. What defines a boat as a surf boat vs a yacht? Both can do damage but agreed tubes close to shore do the same thing and make it worse

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

• JohnnyB
            MC Maniac
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by hyman989 View Post
            Has anyone seen what's happening in Portland on the river there? Just look one small tin bat group was on happy hitched enough and got the law changed. What defines a boat as a surf boat vs a yacht? Both can do damage but agreed tubes close to shore do the same thing and make it worse

Link?

Everyone Dies, but not everyone lives

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843

Comment

• H2ORidr
              MC Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by osmonet View Post
              MN DNR recently sent out a boating questionnaire. 5 of the questions dealt specifically with surfing, wakes, etc. the way the questions were worded suggested they were targeting a specific response from the public. Looked to be an opportunity for people to vent about nuisance from these activities.

Several of the more popular lakes have already attempted to restrict these activities. Unsuccessful so far, but momentum keeps building. Survey is latest step in this process and likely a precursor for future action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              The lake I am on went from 1 inboard 10 years ago to 13 as of now. And 5 of those are massive wake boats that toss monsterous waves. One clown thinks nothing of runnin ~50 feet from shore at times. Those are the people that will ruin it for everyone else.

Comment

• ValveCoverGasket
                MC Fanatic
                • Aug 2016

Originally posted by hyman989 View Post

seems like that was only a matter of time.... with how some folks would surf behind ross lagoon and by the houseboats, theres almost no way for that kind of carelessness to coexist with people living on the river and getting a blanket ban

when wed take our old prostar out to ski out there, then anchor it in some of the lagoons to chill for a while, you usually couldnt sit for more than 10-20min before nearly getting swamped by a surfer in the idle only zones.

i think the house boat communities make it easier for people to complain since youre not only swamping their dock but their house hah

Originally posted by H2ORidr View Post
                One clown thinks nothing of runnin ~50 feet from shore at times. Those are the people that will ruin it for everyone else.
                bingo. it only takes one jackass annoying the wrong couple of people enough to ruin it for everyone.

Comment

• osmonet
                  TT Regular
                  • Mar 2015

Surfing as a relatively slower, low impact activity also allows for lots of time on the water. This extra time can also add up for those in nearby small boats.

Only people that can stay out longer are kids on tubes!

Comment

• 86Skier
                    MC Fanatic
                    • May 2013

I would like to see some real science behind this, because at least in my experience, the tubers around here circle a lake at least 10-20 times more than I ever do. Sure, their wave is smaller, but they also go waaaaay closer to shore.

If their wave is even half my size... or for that matter likely very comparable while they're doing circles and figure eight upon figure eight... frequency plays a big part in the discussion, not simply magnitude.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• osmonet
                      TT Regular
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by 86Skier View Post
                      I would like to see some real science behind this, because at least in my experience, the tubers around here circle a lake at least 10-20 times more than I ever do. Sure, their wave is smaller, but they also go waaaaay closer to shore.

If their wave is even half my size... or for that matter likely very comparable while they're doing circles and figure eight upon figure eight... frequency plays a big part in the discussion, not simply magnitude.

WISA Published this in 2015

Looks like University of MN launched a study this past fall;
                      ST. PAUL, Minn. -- This fall, University of Minnesota researchers will study how regional lakes are being affected by large waves from recreational boating. ...

I remember seeing these, but not sure if they are credible

PDF | Recreational boat usage and ownership in Australia is at an all-time high. Every vessel that moves through the water generates wake waves. Of... | Find, read and cite all the research you need on ResearchGate

Comment

• 86Skier
                        MC Fanatic
                        • May 2013

Originally posted by osmonet View Post
                        WISA Published this in 2015

Looks like University of MN launched a study this past fall;

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- This fall, University of Minnesota researchers will study how regional lakes are being affected by large waves from recreational boating. ...

I remember seeing these, but not sure if they are credible

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...al_than_Others
                        Thank you.

I sped read a couple, but will read more in depth later tonight. Based on what I did read, they say a wake boat creates about 4x the "devastation".... but nothing I saw so far factors in the number of "laps" or shear number of tube boats on every lake, every saturday vs surf boats.... They're all pass for pass comparisons, which isn't at all realistic. If each tuber does 10x+ the passes, then what?

(Admittedly there's some sarcasm in the above... Distance from shore and other boats remains a factor, and its up to all of us to appreciate... even when tubers, etc, don't.)

Comment

• hyman989
                          MC Fanatic
                          • May 2016

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB1ciS3D...d=uz29d2yufjqb for the laws that are affecting right now. They are trying to turn everything red

Comment

• h_2_o
                            MC Fanatic
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by 86Skier View Post
                            Thank you.

I sped read a couple, but will read more in depth later tonight. Based on what I did read, they say a wake boat creates about 4x the "devastation".... but nothing I saw so far factors in the number of "laps" or shear number of tube boats on every lake, every saturday vs surf boats.... They're all pass for pass comparisons, which isn't at all realistic. If each tuber does 10x+ the passes, then what?

(Admittedly there's some sarcasm in the above... Distance from shore and other boats remains a factor, and its up to all of us to appreciate... even when tubers, etc, don't.)

the first one towards the end kind of addresses this even though it is not as much as i would have liked. https://www.wsia.net/wp-content/uplo...ort_Rev_II.pdf they talk of the persistent wind waves being actually worse for a shoreline than a large boat.

thanks for the links i need to read the rest now

Comment

• blackhawk
                              MC Devotee
                              • Jul 2013

Virginia is looking to add a 200 feet restriction from docks and shore for wakesurfing:

We defy the mafia!

Comment

• 88 PS190
                                MC Addict
                                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by h_2_o View Post
                                the first one towards the end kind of addresses this even though it is not as much as i would have liked. https://www.wsia.net/wp-content/uplo...ort_Rev_II.pdf they talk of the persistent wind waves being actually worse for a shoreline than a large boat.

Problem is it is a post from a pro suf advocacy group with data that doesn't support their own conclusion in re: wave energy - very clear in the data they provided that surf energy is more powerful than wave energy - they're just comparing to frequency.

1 big energy source vs. many smaller energy sources - but kids getting banged into the dock by surf waves being the complaint - those kids don't get thrown into docks by wind activity other than in storms. So the argument - its a nice calm day people want their grandkids to swim and splash and frolic in the water and someone goes by surfing and their kid on the inflatable donut gets tossed into the dock.

Not fun - and they own that dock and pay that lots tax $ so you better believe their opinions are gonna get heard.

Comment

Working...
                                X