• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brucemac
    MC Maniac
    • Feb 2008

JL Audio M6 & M7 Subwoofer lines...

Am I reading JL's site correctly? There are no M7 series subwoofers that are designed to be used in a custom enclosure?

Or can their IB models also be used in a custom enclosure?

M6 has a couple, but according to JL's site there are no M7 that aren't IB.

I'm also having a tough time tracking down a M6 10in with the lighting. Are they getting ready to launch new products? I thought they just did recently.
    ¡Viva 205V!
    2003 X2 MCX
  • brucemac
    MC Maniac
    • Feb 2008

Disregard, it's not super clear, but according to their documentation, the M7-12IB can be used in ported and sealed enclosures. Does seem odd that they'd mark IB/free air as (preferred) on their marketing as well as have different part#'s on the M6 line.
    ¡Viva 205V!
    2003 X2 MCX

Comment

• Wheelin98TJ
      MC Devotee
      • Jul 2015

Are you finding any of the high end JL stuff available anywhere?

I've been looking for M6 8.8s w/ LEDs all summer.

Comment

• MLA
        MC Devotee
        • May 2012

You can put any woofer in any type of enclosure, but that does not mean it will perform to its potential. The M7 12 IS a true IB and is designed to work in a large air space, i.e. infinite-baffle. In the M6 series, they do have IB and small enclosure woofers, but 8's and 10's. no 12.

If the plan is for a ported enclosure, id go with the 12W6 before I put an M6-12IB in a small enclosure.

Comment

• brucemac
          MC Maniac
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by MLA View Post
          You can put any woofer in any type of enclosure, but that does not mean it will perform to its potential. The M7 12 IS a true IB and is designed to work in a large air space, i.e. infinite-baffle. In the M6 series, they do have IB and small enclosure woofers, but 8's and 10's. no 12.

If the plan is for a ported enclosure, id go with the 12W6 before I put an M6-12IB in a small enclosure.
          Bummer, I was afraid that might be the case. But the lights!!!

Why do they not have a 12in M7 for enclosures? Am I the only one that finds that odd?

So you are of the opinion that a M7-12IB in a ported enclosure per spec would be less ideal as compared to a standard 12W6 setup?
          Last edited by brucemac; 10-08-2021, 05:13 PM.
          ¡Viva 205V!
          2003 X2 MCX

Comment

• waterlogged882
            MC Master Poster
            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post

Check Sonic Electronix and Rock the Boat Marine Stereo dot coms.

93 190
            (safe click)
            John 14:6
            (safe click)

Comment

• brucemac
              MC Maniac
              • Feb 2008

I have not actually had any luck yet. I'm likely going to go with the M3's with lights and call it a day. I don't have the mounting depth for the larger speakers. Boat's in the shop now for vinyl and flooring, but trying to nail down a plan for the sub so they can get that built out before cutting the decadence. Was going to reuse the existing IDQ, but we're pretty sure we can utilize more space and make some more legroom. Since we're essentially starting over, figured it was time to look at options and match up to the inboats. Thought it was going to be easier.
              ¡Viva 205V!
              2003 X2 MCX

Comment

• brucemac
                MC Maniac
                • Feb 2008

What about doing (2) M6-10W-S-GwGw-i-4 in a ported enclosure and powering with channels 5 & 6 from a Syn6 (existing amp, which would do 2 x 200W @ 4-Ohms. Not going to get it done, is it?

/edit, wait that would actually be 305W x 2 with 5&6 I believe

Or would you still go 5&6 bridged and offer 600W to something else?
                Last edited by brucemac; 10-08-2021, 05:36 PM.
                ¡Viva 205V!
                2003 X2 MCX

Comment

• waterlogged882
                  MC Master Poster
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by brucemac View Post
                  I have not actually had any luck yet. I'm likely going to go with the M3's with lights and call it a day. I don't have the mounting depth for the larger speakers. Boat's in the shop now for vinyl and flooring, but trying to nail down a plan for the sub so they can get that built out before cutting the decadence. Was going to reuse the existing IDQ, but we're pretty sure we can utilize more space and make some more legroom. Since we're essentially starting over, figured it was time to look at options and match up to the inboats. Thought it was going to be easier.
                  97 205 I did this summer. LED, etc. Owner and I are pleased. That area will hold a 12".

Attached Files
                  93 190
                  (safe click)
                  John 14:6
                  (safe click)

Comment

• brucemac
                    MC Maniac
                    • Feb 2008

Wow, you weren't kidding. I can't find anything I'm looking for in stock except the M3 in-boats I need.
                    ¡Viva 205V!
                    2003 X2 MCX

Comment

• MLA
                      MC Devotee
                      • May 2012

So you are of the opinion that a M7-12IB in a ported enclosure per spec would be less ideal as compared to a standard 12W6 setup?
                      If the ported enclosure is going to be radiating into the main cabin, then yeah, ill take a 12W6 ported over an M712IB all day long.

What about doing (2) M6-10W-S-GwGw-i-4 in a ported enclosure and powering with channels 5 & 6 from a Syn6 (existing amp, which would do 2 x 200W @ 4-Ohms. Not going to get it done, is it?

/edit, wait that would actually be 305W x 2 with 5&6 I believe

Or would you still go 5&6 bridged and offer 600W to something else?
                      IIRC, those woofers are 4 ohm each. So that would be either a 2 ohm or 8 ohm final load at the amp. That amp will not handle a 2 ohm bridged load, so the best you will get is 150W rms to two 4 ohm 10's

Comment

• brucemac
                        MC Maniac
                        • Feb 2008

Okay, thanks MLA. That's pretty disappointing. They have holes in their lineup then, IMO. Really wanted to be able to reuse the Syn6, but it's not really sufficient to power the in-boats off of 1-4, which are currently on a Syn4. Really had my heart set on JL this time around, but may either have to live with the aesthetics mis-match for the sub, or come up with another idea, which is going to be tough, because I'm a picky.
                        ¡Viva 205V!
                        2003 X2 MCX

Comment

• brucemac
                          MC Maniac
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by MLA View Post
                          If the ported enclosure is going to be radiating into the main cabin, then yeah, ill take a 12W6 ported over an M712IB all day long.

IIRC, those woofers are 4 ohm each. So that would be either a 2 ohm or 8 ohm final load at the amp. That amp will not handle a 2 ohm bridged load, so the best you will get is 150W rms to two 4 ohm 10's
                          Thinking this through, am i unable to run the 12W6v3 off the Syn6 in bridged mode then because it’s also 4ohm? I always get confused whether the fact it’s DVC helps account for this or not. I thought the Syn6 supported 2-Ohm loads on 5/6.
                          ¡Viva 205V!
                          2003 X2 MCX

Comment

• MLA
                            MC Devotee
                            • May 2012

You would not be able to wire the coils in parallel (2 ohm) and run it bridged. You can wire it series (8 ohm), but its only 300W to the woofer.

So, keep the amp and go with the different woofer that will present a 4 ohm load at the amp in order to safely get its 600W rms or get a new mono amp.

Comment

• brucemac
                              MC Maniac
                              • Feb 2008

Thanks MLA. I re-learned it today. Kundundrem.

Not sure what to do. Really want to keep JL. No inventory.
                              ¡Viva 205V!
                              2003 X2 MCX

Comment

Working...
                              X