• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • H2ORidr
    MC Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by MC25 View Post
    Texas’s energy grid failed because of 2 things. Poor management by people who don’t even live in Texas, and it was a literal natural disaster.
    Nope, from my office mate's dad who has designed and built transformer stations in Texas and the South for 35+ years: Texas's electrical system failed due to poor political and deregulation systems that have been slowly put in place over the last 20+ years. And designing and building a system to the lowest price possible with NO, nada, zip consideration to the trending and prevailing weather changes. He said there has been no consideration what so ever about building for changes expected in the weather. He said every model he has seen for 20+ years has predicted bigger and bigger weather extremes from higher heat to lower cold temps and EVERY time he and his company have suggested upgrades to handle these, they were shot down.

Windmills can be designed to work in the cold. The oil in transformer stations can be changed to not gel in the cold and boil in the heat. Transfer stations for natural gas can be insulated to handle the cold. Heck I drive by one of the largest natural gas switching/pumping stations in Minnesota almost daily and I just witnessed several days of -20 degrees F temperatures and the natural gas flowed just fine.

Side not that station is going a "flair test" the last few weeks and OMG they have a burner set connected to something and it is about 8' in diameter and about 60 feet tall and when they fire that sucker off there are flames shooting about 500 feet in the air! That thing becomes a 6' diameter blowtorch! I have no idea why they have to do it but there are signs all over the place warning about it and I can see why.

Comment

• 88 PS190
      MC Addict
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by H2ORidr View Post
      The people that say masks don't work should DEMAND when they have surgery or dental work that their surgeon or dentist not wear a mask because it is infringing on their rights to see the facial expressions of their doctor or dentist when they are being worked on.
      Hold up your entire post was to debate if N95's work then your response is that they work great and that medical professionals shouldn't get to wear them?

Your whole original post was about how you need them fitted?

I mean now you're agreeing with my post - improperly worn N95s are better than raw dogging by orders of magnitude....

Comment

• MC25
        MC Master Poster
        • Nov 2007

Nope, from my office mate's dad who has designed and built transformer stations in Texas and the South for 35+ years: Texas's electrical system failed due to poor political and deregulation systems that have been slowly put in place over the last 20+ years. And designing and building a system to the lowest price possible with NO, nada, zip consideration to the trending and prevailing weather changes. He said there has been no consideration what so ever about building for changes expected in the weather. He said every model he has seen for 20+ years has predicted bigger and bigger weather extremes from higher heat to lower cold temps and EVERY time he and his company have suggested upgrades to handle these, they were shot down.

Windmills can be designed to work in the cold. The oil in transformer stations can be changed to not gel in the cold and boil in the heat. Transfer stations for natural gas can be insulated to handle the cold. Heck I drive by one of the largest natural gas switching/pumping stations in Minnesota almost daily and I just witnessed several days of -20 degrees F temperatures and the natural gas flowed just fine.

Side not that station is going a "flair test" the last few weeks and OMG they have a burner set connected to something and it is about 8' in diameter and about 60 feet tall and when they fire that sucker off there are flames shooting about 500 feet in the air! That thing becomes a 6' diameter blowtorch! I have no idea why they have to do it but there are signs all over the place warning about it and I can see why.
        If it is so poor why is this the only time I’ve experienced rolling blackouts? Not a lot of it adds up. I’ll give you poor management.

But hold the phone... trending and prevailing weather changes? It’s getting colder? Texas should prepare for global cooling???
        Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
        Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
        2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
        For Sale:
        2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• j.mo
          TT Regular
          • Jan 2021

WW 2.0 [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• bturner2
            MC Addict
            • Mar 2008

Wow this thread is all over the board. Isn't anyone going to bring the missile attacks is Syria up? (just kidding on this one)

I do find it interesting that everyone's panties are in a bunch on Texas opening up and not wearing masks but apparently everyone on the left is just fine with Biden's executive order that releases immigrants into the country that have tested positive for covid and drops them off at bus stations to travel freely. I mean shouldn't that deserve to be called a super spreader policy or something?

​More than 100 illegal immigrants who tested positive for the coronavirus — after their arrival in Texas ​​since late January — have been released by the Border Patrol into the Lon…

Apparently you're more interested in forcing people to wear a mask than a real documented known threat. For a president that criticizes Texas about their covid policies please tell me how his policy (yes, this is his policy) of releasing infected immigrants into our country makes any sense? That idiot has absolutely no room to talk about any state's policies while he's ordering the release of known infected covid immigrants into the country and letting them disperse randomly throughout the nation. If Trump had done anything remotely like this the media and dems would have gone wild. But now, not a peep.

If you haven't already started feeling it I'm sure that buyer's remorse should be setting in soon.

Comment

• TheLivinIsEasy
              TT Enthusiast
              • Feb 2018

So can you tell us what part of the Green New Deal that she has supported is in place right now? I am really curious because where I work we employ thousands of people creating technologies for energy saving products and I don't remember any of them being tied to the GND.
              I was being sarcastic. The Texas governor went on Fox the day the power went out and blamed it on the GND. It was obviously a bunch of BS because the GND is not implemented anywhere, and most definitely not in Texas.

Comment

• TheLivinIsEasy
                TT Enthusiast
                • Feb 2018

If it is so poor why is this the only time I’ve experienced rolling blackouts? Not a lot of it adds up. I’ll give you poor management.

But hold the phone... trending and prevailing weather changes? It’s getting colder? Texas should prepare for global cooling???
                I can't speak to your experiences, but Texas had a winter storm in 2011 that also shutdown the grid for millions of people and led to rolling blackouts for the exact same reason (i.e., not having proper winterization in place). In the ten years since that incident, the state did exactly nothing to rectify the problem (because, you know, deregulation is king!). So while this is not a common thing in Texas, it has happened before, and it was certainly predictable that it would happen again with climate change leading to more extreme weather conditions everywhere. Fool me once...

Texas is also disconnected from the national grids so that it can remain deregulated (to be connected to the national grid you need to follow rules that Texas didn't want to follow).

Comment

• H2ORidr
                  MC Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by TheLivinIsEasy View Post
                  I was being sarcastic. The Texas governor went on Fox the day the power went out and blamed it on the GND. It was obviously a bunch of BS because the GND is not implemented anywhere, and most definitely not in Texas.
                  I wasn't sure you were serious but the problem is there are a LOT of people that thing the GND is all to blame. Were I work we used to have a whole division of the company dedicated to renewable energies but they broke it up and put it back into all the divisions we already have. It was shocking the number of jobs that have been created in the last ~25 years at my work in so, so many areas.

I am not sure how to post an image so going to give it a try but here is one of the bigger wires that I was talking about in another post. Imagine this stuff being all made in the USA, all strung up US linemen and all of it creating jobs right here in the US that cannot be exported. This wire is literally so big it cannot be transported on spools and so it has to be made woven in the field. It is made from material invented in the 1990s and it carries far more electricity than a regular wire of the same diameter.

Comment

• mastercraftka
                    MC Devotee
                    • Jul 2017

[QUOTE=bturner2;1561037]Wow this thread is all over the board.

True statement!!
                    2017 XT23

Comment

• tex
                      MC Platinum
                      • Aug 2004

[QUOTE=bturner2;1561037]Wow this thread is all over the board. Isn't anyone going to bring the missile attacks is Syria up? (just kidding on this one)
                      Attached Files
                      2002 Blue Prostar 197, 0 Flex Tower, Perfect Pass, and The Preditor-ADHD Skier

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :

Comment

• JP-OH
                        MC Fanatic
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by bturner2 View Post
                        Wow this thread is all over the board. Isn't anyone going to bring the missile attacks is Syria up? (just kidding on this one)

I do find it interesting that everyone's panties are in a bunch on Texas opening up and not wearing masks but apparently everyone on the left is just fine with Biden's executive order that releases immigrants into the country that have tested positive for covid and drops them off at bus stations to travel freely. I mean shouldn't that deserve to be called a super spreader policy or something?

​More than 100 illegal immigrants who tested positive for the coronavirus — after their arrival in Texas ​​since late January — have been released by the Border Patrol into the Lon…

Apparently you're more interested in forcing people to wear a mask than a real documented known threat. For a president that criticizes Texas about their covid policies please tell me how his policy (yes, this is his policy) of releasing infected immigrants into our country makes any sense? That idiot has absolutely no room to talk about any state's policies while he's ordering the release of known infected covid immigrants into the country and letting them disperse randomly throughout the nation. If Trump had done anything remotely like this the media and dems would have gone wild. But now, not a peep.

If you haven't already started feeling it I'm sure that buyer's remorse should be setting in soon.

"Brownsville spokesperson Felipe Romero told Forbes 108 migrants tested positive after being dropped off in his city between Jan. 25 and March 1, or just over three per day, a positivity rate of 6.3% — he told Telemundo these migrants were advised to quarantine.

By comparison, Texas as a whole has reported around 294,000 confirmed coronavirus cases between Jan. 25 and March 1, and in recent days, the state has averaged about 4,800 daily cases at a positivity rate of just under 9%."
                        50.241899, -115.857747

Comment

• DavidF
                          MC Devotee
                          • Feb 2016

wow, this post turned quickly but I think that was the expectation when this was posted...to cause discord among the ranks
                          08 X30 - deader than dead...and crispy.

Comment

• MC25
                            MC Master Poster
                            • Nov 2007

I can't speak to your experiences, but Texas had a winter storm in 2011 that also shutdown the grid for millions of people and led to rolling blackouts for the exact same reason (i.e., not having proper winterization in place). In the ten years since that incident, the state did exactly nothing to rectify the problem (because, you know, deregulation is king!). So while this is not a common thing in Texas, it has happened before, and it was certainly predictable that it would happen again with climate change leading to more extreme weather conditions everywhere. Fool me once...

Texas is also disconnected from the national grids so that it can remain deregulated (to be connected to the national grid you need to follow rules that Texas didn't want to follow).
                            As a lifetime Texas resident, I remember a storm about 1/10th of the magnitude that didn’t shut down millions of peoples power.

Global cooling though? Let’s prepare!!
                            Aric

Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                            2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                            For Sale:

Comment

• TheLivinIsEasy
                              TT Enthusiast
                              • Feb 2018

As a lifetime Texas resident, I remember a storm about 1/10th of the magnitude that didn’t shut down millions of peoples power.

Global cooling though? Let’s prepare!!
                              According to the Houston Chronicle it was over 3 million people impacted in 2011.

I'm not going to explain climate change to you, but you should go research it a bit and you will learn why global warming can actually lead to extreme cold weather events. I do realize it is more difficult to actually research and learn about things than to spout out BS talking points you heard somewhere, but I would recommend you try it. Independent thought is important to a functioning society.

Comment

• MC25
                                MC Master Poster
                                • Nov 2007

According to the Houston Chronicle it was over 3 million people impacted in 2011.

I'm not going to explain climate change to you, but you should go research it a bit and you will learn why global warming can actually lead to extreme cold weather events. I do realize it is more difficult to actually research and learn about things than to spout out BS talking points you heard somewhere, but I would recommend you try it. Independent thought is important to a functioning society.
                                Goalposts for climate change are constantly moving.

Global cooling everyone!!! Get ready! Make sure Al gore has his coat!!
                                Aric

Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                                2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                                For Sale:

Comment

Working...
                                X