Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-20-2021, 02:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X14
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
manufacturing RARE EARTH elements to make batteries is a very dirty business hence there is only one plant that is going to be built in the US to do it...
Our newest product line in my division was launched about 12 years ago and they contained a LOT of rare Earth elements. We got caught with our pants down when China jacked the prices and so we had to do something fast or we were going to go broke selling those products.

So that summer we had an all hands on deck to remove the Rare Earth Oxides from our products by finding working substitutions. The program was called "Speedwagon." Rare Earth Oxides....Speedwagon.....I'll let the old geezers make the connection and explain it to the young folks.

It took us 4 months but we were able to find very workable solutions and were far cheaper, far more plentiful, easier to obtain, and were not subject to the China monopoly. There are workable solutions out there to cut the REs out of batteries but the manufacturers are too busy scaling up what they current make because demand is so big that they don't want to spend time of invest in finding alternatives. They are leaving that to places like where I work and academic labs where there are researchers doing that work for them. That in tern takes time.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ORidr View Post
Our newest product line in my division was launched about 12 years ago and they contained a LOT of rare Earth elements. We got caught with our pants down when China jacked the prices and so we had to do something fast or we were going to go broke selling those products.

So that summer we had an all hands on deck to remove the Rare Earth Oxides from our products by finding working substitutions. The program was called "Speedwagon." Rare Earth Oxides....Speedwagon.....I'll let the old geezers make the connection and explain it to the young folks.

It took us 4 months but we were able to find very workable solutions and were far cheaper, far more plentiful, easier to obtain, and were not subject to the China monopoly. There are workable solutions out there to cut the REs out of batteries but the manufacturers are too busy scaling up what they current make because demand is so big that they don't want to spend time of invest in finding alternatives. They are leaving that to places like where I work and academic labs where there are researchers doing that work for them. That in tern takes time.
Speedwagon.. heard it from a friend

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2021, 01:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
We're going "Green" in Virginia. Cutting down trees and clearing the land to build a solar farm.
Cutting down trees?

This was taken months ago. It's 10X the size now.
Attached Images