X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tookeymonster
    MC Devotee
    • Sep 2017

FYI max towing capacities are for sea level, flat land, and one 185 lb passenger in the vehicle and nothing else in the vehicle. Also if it comes with a hitch most hitches are rated for less than towing capacity, your only as strong as your weakest link. Also if you add one 200 lb person it actually subtracts more than 200 lbs of tow capacity, I cant remember the ratio (pay load is different than towing).

Also always check the ball mount that goes into the hitch most are under rated and when you flip them over like in Arks pick it reduces the load capacity. How, I don't know.

Comment

• Tsumi
      MC Devotee
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Tookeymonster View Post
      FYI max towing capacities are for sea level, flat land, and one 185 lb passenger in the vehicle and nothing else in the vehicle. Also if it comes with a hitch most hitches are rated for less than towing capacity, your only as strong as your weakest link. Also if you add one 200 lb person it actually subtracts more than 200 lbs of tow capacity, I cant remember the ratio (pay load is different than towing).

Also always check the ball mount that goes into the hitch most are under rated and when you flip them over like in Arks pick it reduces the load capacity. How, I don't know.
      That might be how trucks are rated, at least the ones with max towing packages, but not German SUVs.

It all comes down to the payload. If you have a 1500 lbs payload and 13,000 lbs tow rating with 10% on the hitch, that leaves you with 200 lbs payload, which is enough for just the driver. If your total weight in the car is 300 lbs, that leaves you with 1200 lbs left for the tongue, leaving you with a 12,000 lbs max tow rating. 4 people weighing a total of 500 lbs, you're down to 10,000 lbs towing. And so on.

A BMW X7 has a payload rating of approximately 1200 lbs. If towing at the max with 750 lbs on the tongue, it leaves 450 lbs left for people and things inside the SUV. If used for short trips that don't approach highway speeds, you can safely (briefly) go over rated capacities, within reason. The forces encountered at low speeds are much lower than at high speeds.

Comment

• wetwillyskate
        TT Enthusiast
        • Jul 2014

If it was the diesel id say pull everything all day! i used to pull our horse trailer, Maristar, and the occasional hay trailer ~7k lbs with no worries. For quick trips like your described the X7 is more than enough tow vehicle.

Comment

• justincredible
          TT Regular
          • Feb 2021

I have a 2019 X5 40i and I pull my 2013 X10. It's a little smaller than what you are looking at, but not my much. Weight is not a problem pulling it, the car has more than enough power to pull it at whatever speed you desire. I towed it back from Illinois to North Carolina at 75mph a few months back and had no issues. it has enough tongue weight to make me feel comfortable the car won't fishtail, but it doesn't smash it by any means. I pull the boat almost every weekend about 10 miles to and from the lake with no issues, besides really narrow lake roads. My biggest fear, to this day, is backing it down a steep ramp and having it drag me, but I haven't experienced that yet at any of the 5 different boat ramps I have been on. You will need to get a large drop receiver though to get the trailer level. I have a 6" rise on mine.

Overall, I would say you definitely don't want to be dragging a 22-24' boat around the country with it, but it does fine for the weekend trips.
          2022 X22
          2013 X10

Comment

• LDA6339
            MC Maniac
            • May 2016

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
            X23 weighs about 1000lb more than the X25. I think the X7 can handle either. But stay tuned, up next is the nothing less than a 3/4 ton diesel crowd. Makes me miss the oil and filter discussions of yesteryear.
            Shot

Chaser
            2020 Table Rock Mastercraft Reunion Poker Run Champion

I lead the fight to ban the swimsuit thread, help me bring it back: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...58#post1494758

"LDA never saw a thread he couldn't run off the rails"

Comment

• Tookeymonster
              MC Devotee
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by LDA6339 View Post
              Shot

Chaser
              Well buddy just weighed his boat and trailer fully loaded (speck dry weight of boat s 5,800 lbs) and it came in at 10,550 lbs.

I have seen hitches break because people don't know what they have and are only concerned about what the vehicle can tow (max tow rating is with WD hitch) while towing without a WD hitch. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Comment

• Tookeymonster
                MC Devotee
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by LDA6339 View Post
                Shot

Chaser
                FYI my wife's Range Rover Sport towed our NXT22 like a champ and could stop on a dime. I made sure the hitch (ball mount part was well over rated). Our old Land rover LR3 ball mount broke with the same boat. We left the RV and towed the boat home with my truck.

Comment

• WolverineFW
                  TT Enthusiast
                  • Mar 2020

Well buddy just weighed his boat and trailer fully loaded (speck dry weight of boat s 5,800 lbs) and it came in at 10,550 lbs.

I have seen hitches break because people don't know what they have and are only concerned about what the vehicle can tow (max tow rating is with WD hitch) while towing without a WD hitch. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.
                  If that is the case...his trailer is likely overloaded.....why so much extra weight? His trailer probably only weighs 1500-1800 lbs.

Here is MC chart.

GCVW for the heaviest trailer boat combo is around 9600 lbs. Beefiest trailers have a GVWR of 10,000 lbs....he is 550 lbs over.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by WolverineFW; 07-02-2021, 11:54 PM.

Comment

• MC25
                    MC Master Poster
                    • Nov 2007

XT22 dry weight is what, 5,000? I’m 7500ish on the trailer full of fuel.
                    Aric

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2022
                    Register Here

2019 XT22 - Ear Bleeder
                    2022 Sea Hunt BX22 CC
                    For Sale:
                    2020 Crest 240 SLC Tri Toon

Comment

• TolCarMan
                      MC Fanatic
                      • Sep 2018

I've pulled a boat that may or may not have weighed over 7500 lbs with the X5 550i and it kicked buns. It was a 400 mile trip. Twice. Tons of pulling power and plenty of stopping power. Triple axle trailer is definitely in your best interest if you like to go fast.
                      -Tolman
                      '22 XT23 "Big Kahuna"
                      '06 X30 (Sold)

"Sometimes my genius, it's almost frightening" -JC

Comment

• Tookeymonster
                        MC Devotee
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by WolverineFW View Post
                        If that is the case...his trailer is likely overloaded.....why so much extra weight? His trailer probably only weighs 1500-1800 lbs.

Here is MC chart.

GCVW for the heaviest trailer boat combo is around 9600 lbs. Beefiest trailers have a GVWR of 10,000 lbs....he is 550 lbs over.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
                        Originally posted by MC25 View Post
                        XT22 dry weight is what, 5,000? I’m 7500ish on the trailer full of fuel.
                        Well he has a Supra SL and they have to carry at least 1,500+ lbs of steel bags, not sure what all other gear added up to that. Boat and trailer spec out at 7200 lbs on website (he went with triple axle upgrade). 78 gallon fuel tank. He weighed his boat unhitched at a truck weigh station. Not sure what Supra rates their trailers at but they put a triple axle on any boat bigger than 22'. I don't like caring steel/led bags around thats why I went up to the X22, I did demo a SA450 with 750 lbs of led/steel bags and it did not have the push as a bone stock x22. Also fit/finish/build quality.

Comment

• Tsumi
                          MC Devotee
                          • Feb 2012

Well he has a Supra SL and they have to carry at least 1,500+ lbs of steel bags, not sure what all other gear added up to that. Boat and trailer spec out at 7200 lbs on website (he went with triple axle upgrade). 78 gallon fuel tank. He weighed his boat unhitched at a truck weigh station. Not sure what Supra rates their trailers at but they put a triple axle on any boat bigger than 22'. I don't like caring steel/led bags around thats why I went up to the X22, I did demo a SA450 with 750 lbs of led/steel bags and it did not have the push as a bone stock x22. Also fit/finish/build quality.
                          Boatmate rates their triple axle trailers for the Supra SL at 8400 lbs, so he is 2100 lbs over weight if using the Boatmate. The triple axle trailer actually has less capacity than the tandem, as both are rated for 8400 lbs but the third axle detracts from the capacity.

Comment

• LDA6339
                            MC Maniac
                            • May 2016

I was 6990 last summer going to Missouri. Fuel was maybe 3/8 and 400lbs of lead in the boat over the axles.
                            2020 Table Rock Mastercraft Reunion Poker Run Champion

I lead the fight to ban the swimsuit thread, help me bring it back: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...58#post1494758

"LDA never saw a thread he couldn't run off the rails"

Comment

Working...
                            X