• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheelin98TJ
    MC Devotee
    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by John Johnson View Post
    Yes, go to Home Depot and buy a siphon that has a brass fitting on the end with a little shaker ball inside that gets the flow going. You just shake it up and down inside the can. Most of us are probably skilled at that. You won't spill a drop on your gel and you don't have the hold the can to pour. Just make sure your can is above the height of the filler cap.
    Thanks, I'll stop there today.

Comment

• slalomjunkie
      MC Maniac
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by tmothy07 View Post
      Woof, that's a pain haha. Honestly, I think it probably gets more oil out than just letting it drain regularly. We use the drain hose and a barbed brass fitting that we shoved into the hand pump's intake tube, that way we just screw the pump onto the drain hose and pump away. Normally we just pump directly into one of those used oil containers you can get at AutoZone. Plus, you won't ever have to fish a drain pan or heavy ladder out of the lake ever again.

Interesting, so the brass fitting is female and screws onto the drain hose, and it sucks from the end of the hose instead of fishing the tube into the motor.

And yeah having a 2nd set of hands would have been nice. Amazing I didnt end up in the lake with it all the same way I fell into the lake fully clothed with a paddle board in March
      The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• tmothy07
        MC Devotee
        • Apr 2017

Originally posted by slalomjunkie View Post
        Interesting, so the brass fitting is female and screws onto the drain hose, and it sucks from the end of the hose instead of fishing the tube into the motor.
        Yup! Easy peasy. Due to having a V-drive, we have to climb down into the one of the engine bay holds and drop the separator wall and fish our pump's "out" tube through the transom drain hole to our container on the ground, so it'll probably be super easy on an inboard where everything's out in the open.
        Tim
        Ohio State Engineering - Go Bucks
        1998 MC MariStar 225VRS
        1995 MC ProStar 205

Comment

• zamboniman
          TT Enthusiast
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
          Thanks, I'll stop there today.
          My buddy uses the shaker ball. I just use the squeeze the tank method with a tube. Both work, but I prefer the squeeze and it's faster.

Tired of breaking your back filling your boat with a Jerry Can and spilling gas in the water? Check out this great hack that will save your back and not spil...

There are other similar videos out there this was just easy to find.

The trick is getting the biggest hose that will fit in both your can and down in the filler tube. Then getting it the right length. I don't mess with the rag method on the video. I made my filler tube then put it through a small nerf ball then wrapped the snot out of it with electrical tape. What I have is a black rubbery ball inline with the hose making it simple as heck to get an airtight seal for no spills on the hands or boat.

Comment

• Wheelin98TJ
            MC Devotee
            • Jul 2015

Originally posted by zamboniman View Post
            My buddy uses the shaker ball. I just use the squeeze the tank method with a tube. Both work, but I prefer the squeeze and it's faster.

Tired of breaking your back filling your boat with a Jerry Can and spilling gas in the water? Check out this great hack that will save your back and not spil...

There are other similar videos out there this was just easy to find.

The trick is getting the biggest hose that will fit in both your can and down in the filler tube. Then getting it the right length. I don't mess with the rag method on the video. I made my filler tube then put it through a small nerf ball then wrapped the snot out of it with electrical tape. What I have is a black rubbery ball inline with the hose making it simple as heck to get an airtight seal for no spills on the hands or boat.
            Thanks for explaining and for providing the YouTube link!

Seems so simple and brilliant. I can't believe I have never seen this before.

Comment

• zamboniman
              TT Enthusiast
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
              Thanks for explaining and for providing the YouTube link!

Seems so simple and brilliant. I can't believe I have never seen this before.
              This will change your life. And make you look like a genius magician to the ladies.

Comment

• moosehead
                MC Maniac
                • May 2015

Gotta say, hauling 5 gal cans down to our dock at peak boat time would make for a helluva fitness regime. 60 lbs total x 65 stone stairs x (3 fillups weekly x 5 trips per fill) is a boatload of calories spent and dollars saved.

Maybe I should actually do so.

Comment

• LDA6339
                  MC Maniac
                  • May 2016

The 5th rule of TeamTalk: All the threads eventually return to oil if given enough time.
                  2020 Table Rock Mastercraft Reunion Poker Run Champion

I lead the fight to ban the swimsuit thread, help me bring it back: https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/sho...58#post1494758

"LDA never saw a thread he couldn't run off the rails"

Comment

• slalomjunkie
                    MC Maniac
                    • Apr 2015

I loved the funnel they had at this tournament I was just at... attached to the dock piling, the put the hose in the boat and poured gas into the funnel.

Not one drop wasted
                    The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• TheLivinIsEasy
                      TT Enthusiast
                      • Feb 2018

I loved the funnel they had at this tournament I was just at... attached to the dock piling, the put the hose in the boat and poured gas into the funnel.

Not one drop wasted
                      Wait, is gas a metaphor for beer and boat a metaphor for your mouth in this scenario?

Comment

• slalomjunkie
                        MC Maniac
                        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by TheLivinIsEasy View Post
                        Wait, is gas a metaphor for beer and boat a metaphor for your mouth in this scenario?
                        LOL not a beer bong sir, looked very much like this:

Comment

• paintpollz
                          MC Devotee
                          • Oct 2014

Not a bad idea, thank you. Do you find it gets all of the oil out?
                          yes

and does using the drain hose work better than the oil dipstick hole?
                          I use the dipstick hole and it works great. If you used the drain hose with this pump you would have to put some sort of fitting on it to make it work. No reason not to go from the dipstick hole.

Another luxury of having something like this is being able to change the oil from your lift or not having to crawl under the boat on a trailer.

Plus it's an electric pump which just makes it that much easier. Takes about 2 minutes to suck out all of the oil, so in turn oil changes take about 5 minutes.

Definitely a luxury item, like a power lift gate on a car or electric folding mirrors. You definitely don't need them, but once you have them it will be hard to be without them.
                          Kevin

Comment

• hunter991
                            MC Fanatic
                            • Jul 2016

I fill it up when i launch the boat in the spring and use 6 gallon cans to keep it topped off. Basically every morning i go out there and dump it in after a day of surfing and boarding. I get 4-5 containers filled every time i go to town.

Comment

• hyman989
                              MC Fanatic
                              • May 2016

Originally posted by paintpollz View Post
                              yes

I use the dipstick hole and it works great. If you used the drain hose with this pump you would have to put some sort of fitting on it to make it work. No reason not to go from the dipstick hole.

Another luxury of having something like this is being able to change the oil from your lift or not having to crawl under the boat on a trailer.

Plus it's an electric pump which just makes it that much easier. Takes about 2 minutes to suck out all of the oil, so in turn oil changes take about 5 minutes.

Definitely a luxury item, like a power lift gate on a car or electric folding mirrors. You definitely don't need them, but once you have them it will be hard to be without them.
                              Got the link for what you made? I change all my oil so making it easier for me would be great

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

• moosehead
                                MC Maniac
                                • May 2015

^Plenty of horror stories about melting a plastic drain tube in the bottom of a hot dipstick tube at the block, or just getting it stuck at the bottom via force and suction. Meanwhile, the smaller diameter of a tube small enough to fit into the dipstick tube either takes a ton of time or a ton of suction, or both. Yea, that’s what she said.

Per below post, the $4 brass barbed hose fitting that attaches to a fluid extractor of any kind allows a larger diameter tube to attach to the block drain tube and do the job sitting comfortably inside your boat in less than 10 minutes with no spill. The block drain also seems to get more oil out of the bottom of your pan. No need to get behind or under the boat. You can shotgun a beer while it is shotgunning your oil.

Last edited by moosehead; 07-13-2018, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X