Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 10:09 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2021 Mastercraft XT21 Ilmor 6.0, Formerly 2004 Maristar 230/X30 and 2001 Maristar 230
I just ordered a 2021 XT21 a few months ago to replace my 2004 Maristar 230 since I loved my 230 and wanted something similar. The other boats are so heavy and massive and I still like to ski, and this boat is sized just right. I also noticed the lack of attention paid to the XT21 so I spent a lot of time on other threads trying to figure out the options. I ended up adding a lot of bells and whistles since it is already a big investment so I just went for it (easier to ask forgiveness than permission from my boss!) Added the dockstar, since I have plenty of experience with a V-drive but there are always those occasions where reverse control would be very useful. For us I felt deckadence is a better choice than seadek. Also staying with the wraparound windshield (prefer the look as well as the wind and spray protection from the sides). Definitely the heater and heated seats since I'm in the midwest and we had the heater running just this week. Fiberglass platform, XFT4 tower with wake/surf racks, convertible flip rear seat, odessa vinyl rather than coolfeel since the heat is not as big an issue and I have some concerns about cleaning and longevity of coolfeel. Fastfill ballasts. Hydraulic seat. I did not go with sunpad flip seating since people seem to have mixed feelings about it and didn't feel it was needed. Probably the biggest dilemma was the audio, since the Klipsch system sure doesn't seem to get much love around here. I'm nervously hoping they have worked out some of the bugs and ended up going with the premium dual screen system with 2 tower S80 cans. I am a little nervous having everything so tied into a comprehensive electrical system since it seems like a lot of technology that can go wrong. But that's the risk we are all taking with these boats regardless....
Old 09-18-2020, 10:34 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 20 X22 6.2L GDI, '15 X10 6.0L

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-18-2020, 10:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2019 X22
I have no direct experience with the XT21 but I had a 2015 X10 which should be very similar. It was a great boat. I'm likely in the minority here, but I prefer the X10 over my X22. It just a great all around boat and handles extremely well compared to my current dump truck. Its not too big and not too small. If you can do the bag upgrades in the XT21 similar to the X10, it will produce a great wave. Its also very comfortable towing with an SUV which is what I use. I really don't think you can go wrong with the XT21 if it fits your budget. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:05 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2012 X15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutschm View Post
Must have options for me:
7" screen (Keeps the old school gauges while having lots of tech too);
Fast Fill (standard ballast pumps take about 10 mins to fill/drain, I've heard fast fill is around 3);
Sun-pad flip seats (for hanging out on transom, but some people don't like the hinges);
Advanced audio without tower speakers, then get the adapters from eecyclone to add your own tower speakers (saves some money for other stuff);
Keep the base engine and get a high-altitude prop for heavily weighted days (saves money for other stuff, and gives you an essential backup prop);
Underwater lights (they're just cool)
7" screen is a must and the boss wants the sun pad flip seats and the convertible seat as well. Being in Texas the base 6.0 should be more than enough, especially on a 21' boat. The fast fill is one that I have a hard time justifying the almost $3k to save a few minutes. Definitely not going to get any tower speakers as I plan to add 4 Rev10's to whatever we get (Gotta keep up with Aric and Luke).

Quote:
Originally Posted by csherbo View Post
Bowen, the XT21 has a lot of functionality in a convenient package. I think there is a reason MC hasn't changed it much over the years. The leap from X10 to XT21 was minimal. I had a '14 X10 and it was a great boat, it surfed great, wakeboarded great, and based on others feedback skis well.

Definitely do BTS, makes it possible to enter this boat forward of the tower.
Reversible T/S
If fast fill is available, do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG2004 View Post
I just ordered a 2021 XT21 a few months ago to replace my 2004 Maristar 230 since I loved my 230 and wanted something similar. The other boats are so heavy and massive and I still like to ski, and this boat is sized just right. I also noticed the lack of attention paid to the XT21 so I spent a lot of time on other threads trying to figure out the options. I ended up adding a lot of bells and whistles since it is already a big investment so I just went for it (easier to ask forgiveness than permission from my boss!) Added the dockstar, since I have plenty of experience with a V-drive but there are always those occasions where reverse control would be very useful. For us I felt deckadence is a better choice than seadek. Also staying with the wraparound windshield (prefer the look as well as the wind and spray protection from the sides). Definitely the heater and heated seats since I'm in the midwest and we had the heater running just this week. Fiberglass platform, XFT4 tower with wake/surf racks, convertible flip rear seat, odessa vinyl rather than coolfeel since the heat is not as big an issue and I have some concerns about cleaning and longevity of coolfeel. Fastfill ballasts. Hydraulic seat. I did not go with sunpad flip seating since people seem to have mixed feelings about it and didn't feel it was needed. Probably the biggest dilemma was the audio, since the Klipsch system sure doesn't seem to get much love around here. I'm nervously hoping they have worked out some of the bugs and ended up going with the premium dual screen system with 2 tower S80 cans. I am a little nervous having everything so tied into a comprehensive electrical system since it seems like a lot of technology that can go wrong. But that's the risk we are all taking with these boats regardless....
Thanks for the insight guys, definitely going with the ZFT4 and most likely the convertible rear seat. Don't have a need for dockstar since I've been driving inboards since high school. Would like to do cool feel because it can get really hot down here during the summer, but otherwise would do an all white interior to keep temps down.

Lets see some pictures of y'all's boats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:07 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjr View Post
I have no direct experience with the XT21 but I had a 2015 X10 which should be very similar. It was a great boat. I'm likely in the minority here, but I prefer the X10 over my X22. It just a great all around boat and handles extremely well compared to my current dump truck. Its not too big and not too small. If you can do the bag upgrades in the XT21 similar to the X10, it will produce a great wave. Its also very comfortable towing with an SUV which is what I use. I really don't think you can go wrong with the XT21 if it fits your budget. Good luck.
The towing capacity and the price has really made me zero in on an XT21. We'll probably end up towing with an Audi Q8 or something similar for short trips. I do have access to a Denali HD that I can use for longer trips if needed.

Quote:
Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
The towing capacity and the price has really made me zero in on an XT21. We'll probably end up towing with an Audi Q8 or something similar for short trips. I do have access to a Denali HD that I can use for longer trips if needed.
I towed my X10 for 3 years with a 5.3 liter in my Tahoe. Nearly all of that was local except service trips to my dealer 1.5 hours away, but it was very comfortable to me.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

ZFT4 tower is the single most important upgrade IMO, both in terms of functional reasons and resale. If you trailer your boat each trip, its nice to be able to lower the tower, otherwise you will have bugs all over your speakers and bimini boot. Other stuff is personal preference to me based on your needs. The cool feel only helps if you want to go with darker colors on the interior. I am in GA and have black in mine. No way I could do that without cool feel. It does not get any hotter than the gray vinyl in my old X10.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:42 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjr View Post
ZFT4 tower is the single most important upgrade IMO, both in terms of functional reasons and resale. If you trailer your boat each trip, its nice to be able to lower the tower, otherwise you will have bugs all over your speakers and bimini boot. Other stuff is personal preference to me based on your needs. The cool feel only helps if you want to go with darker colors on the interior. I am in GA and have black in mine. No way I could do that without cool feel. It does not get any hotter than the gray vinyl in my old X10.
Yeah, from lurking on for sale posts on the forum it seems like 7" screen and ZFT4 is what everyone is looking for when it comes to resale value. If we do a custom order we'll probably do an accent color (coolfeel) and I'd like to not mix the cool feel and regular vinyl.

Quote:
Old 09-18-2020, 12:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2019 XT21
ZFT4 tower for sure. Cool feel is great. X-stitching is problematic-We have had corners pull out someone each of the last two years. Hopefully MC covers and fixes again this fall when we winterize.
7" screen is great and advanced sound package is nice to have. Seadek gets so dirty so fast; kind of wish ours had decadence instead.
Get the comfort and convenience package. We like our BTS windshield and removable ski pylon
Convertible rear seat is great. Glad we don't have the flip up rears-we do just fine laying or sitting on the rear deck if people not sitting in the rear bench converted.
We do love our XT21. It does everything well. Slalom wake is about as good as can be expected, but nothing like our Prostar. We only ski behind ours if no friends are around with a DD or smaller-type ski boat.
Name:  6B66EB6B-032B-4165-A958-2F07C73424FB.jpeg
Views: 385
Size:  112.4 KB
Name:  3E557F08-D0E9-44BC-8971-95509BB36A85.jpeg
Views: 383
Size:  113.3 KB
Name:  6B4F878C-5D8D-48A1-8490-929CB154599C.jpeg
Views: 387
Size:  120.7 KB
Name:  036CCA42-A8D1-41BF-861E-C3B11B5B7575.jpeg
Views: 395
Size:  104.9 KB
Old 09-18-2020, 12:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmccul View Post
If we do a custom order we'll probably do an accent color (coolfeel) and I'd like to not mix the cool feel and regular vinyl.
Good call on not mixing vinyl and cool feel. The pic below is not my boat but one I was looking at before I bought mine. The blue is cool feel with the rest being vinyl. There is a noticeable differece in the texture of the fabric. I personally do not like the mixture.
Attached Images