Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-27-2021, 10:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 ProStar 205
1997 PS205 Fuel Pump Replacement

I own a 1997 PS205 with the base 275 Indmar engine. It has about 1300 hours on it. Last year I started getting the typical fuel pump issues where it would not always prime for 2 seconds on the key. A tap on the side of the pump and it would spring to life. Never left me stranded.
This year, boat fires up first turn of the key. Cruise down the lake to some neighbors house, shut it off and doesn’t restart. After a car ride home, some starting fluid, and some angers feelings, fires up and I get it back home.
I then read about 101 pages of fuel pump 101. Since the boat has been mostly maintenance free, I decided to purchase the pump kit, to the tune of $400. Short version: works great, not plug and play, not worth it for this boat.
This pump comes with a single inlet, not the double of the stock pump. Also, it has a barb connector, not a threaded fitting. That was the biggest hurdle, trying to find a connector that would fit. The bracket did not work and I reused the original one. The electric connector did not fit and I had to cut that. In the end, I cut the threaded connector from the supply line and put it on the pump barb with a clamp. The output to the throttle body was un changed. The return from the Throttle body to the fuel pump was mostly unchanged. There was a small pipe from the “ other” inlet that ( I suppose) makes a Venturi to return fuel to the tank. I simply removed that pipe and plugged it with a brass compression type plug.
The original pump was clearly stamped 25psi, the new one is rate for more like 55 psi. The pump fires up and runs great. It seems louder to me, who knows.

One last thing, it would be great if the Fuel Pump 101 could be broken into categories. It was hard to follow who had what type pump throughout the thread. In tank pumps vs the external one like I have. The thread was a wealth of information.

Now my Lake Martin 4th trips is looking ship shape.
Old 06-28-2021, 06:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 PS205, x-14 someday
Glad you got it fixed. I have the same boat, and replaced my pump a few years back. I'm currently trying to decide if I should do a total restore of my boat, or bite the bullet and get into a new ski boat with a second surf boat. The lack of an easily replaceable fuel pump is one of the things I have been thinking about.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:29 PM
MC Fanatic

I put a few hours on it and it’s running great.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorguy View Post
Glad you got it fixed. I have the same boat, and replaced my pump a few years back. I'm currently trying to decide if I should do a total restore of my boat, or bite the bullet and get into a new ski boat with a second surf boat. The lack of an easily replaceable fuel pump is one of the things I have been thinking about.
Now that I know, I would just order one of the other pumps listed in the thread and deal with. It couldn’t be more difficult than what I had to do.

I had a 99 SportStar Open Bow. I liked the boat, but want perfect pass, a tower, and a new trailer. I thought it would be better sell and buy a “better” boat. I truly regret ever selling that boat. It was perfect sized, lots of power, simple, and looked great. The 205 is great, but mine has been rode hard and put away wet. Don’t know if that speaks to you and your situation.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Pictures of the old and new pump. If anyone needs the "new" bracket, PM me as I'm not going to use it.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2021, 09:06 PM
MC Fanatic

We had a great time on the 4th weekend. Fuel pump works great, probably over 15 hours since install.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 205 Prostar 275hp.
I have the same boat.

I put new cap, rotor, wires, plugs in last year.
needed a fuel pump--was able to find a used one from a friend of a friend--seems to working fine
Then last weekend the boat Motor wont go above 3600 rpm/ 38 mph.

thoughts