Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakesurfing

Old 08-18-2021, 08:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X2 (1986 MC Skier - SOLD)
Advice on position (kid)?

A previous post made me think to ask this.

Please help critique my advice while I'm sitting with my 9 year old midget (said jokingly... she's in the 5th percentile) watching Austin Keen videos at her request....

I showed her this pic and said: you need to square up your front foot so its perpendicular to the wave, and then do the same with your hips and shoulders. Also, watch forward, not down. And since you weigh next to nothing, a little more toe side will help you stay in it.

Am I right? Help me help her. She's absolutely in love with this, and will go until I stop every night... after finally nutting up and climbing on board 6 weeks ago, she has advanced quickly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2021, 08:48 PM
MC Addict

Boat: none
Definitely more toe pressure and squaring up.

Look up is a good cue. I usually pat my chest tell them chest up and look up. Then relax. Amazing how much it makes a difference.

But don’t over critique and stress her out.

She’s young. Let her enjoy it and ride!
Old 08-18-2021, 09:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post

Thanks. Appreciate the tips.

And don't worry, I wont push too hard, we're out to have fun... just dear old dad who grew up slalom sking everyday and only entered the wakesurf world a couple seasons ago trying to help a crazy eager yungin' who thinks I know what I'm talking about. Hahaha

Old 08-18-2021, 09:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
Her foot looks fine to me. She’s laying back. The easiest way to fix is to make them squat up and down. You can’t lay on your rear foot when squatting you will even out.

My teaching method.
1. I have to see the bottom of the board before we take off ( no exceptions)
2. Go a far away from the boat when you start, once there move your front foot to the center of the board.
3. Once the foot has been moved over slowly come back to the wave
4. Look for bubbles to the side of the boat. Tell them you can’t surf in the bubbles, stay out of the bubbles. This will keep them in the sweet spot
5. If they’re leaning back and most do tell them to squat down and back up while they have the rope this will automatically put same pressure on front and rear foot.

I find most problems are the front foot is not over far enough, if the foot is in the right spot it’s hard not to surf because it keep keeps pushing them towards the wave.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 x30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Skier View Post
A previous post made me think to ask this.

Please help critique my advice while I'm sitting with my 9 year old midget (said jokingly... she's in the 5th percentile) watching Austin Keen videos at her request....

I showed her this pic and said: you need to square up your front foot so its perpendicular to the wave, and then do the same with your hips and shoulders. Also, watch forward, not down. And since you weigh next to nothing, a little more toe side will help you stay in it.

Am I right? Help me help her. She's absolutely in love with this, and will go until I stop every night... after finally nutting up and climbing on board 6 weeks ago, she has advanced quickly.

I think your advice is perfectly spot on, what problems is she trying to work on, specifically?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2021, 10:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_S View Post
I think your advice is perfectly spot on, what problems is she trying to work on, specifically?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
No real problem. She just wants to get better.

She reminds me of me, especially when I was younger: getting up is cool for 5 seconds, now how do I get great, dad?

Her enthusiasm and excitement is amazing. Just trying to help her achieve her goal at something I'm only decent at... Hahaha

Old 08-18-2021, 10:36 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
Definitely more toe pressure and squaring up.

Look up is a good cue. I usually pat my chest tell them chest up and look up. Then relax. Amazing how much it makes a difference.

^^^ for that age she is killing it. keep it up!
Old 08-19-2021, 10:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: ‘20 X22 6.2L GDI, '15 X10 6.0L
86 your counsel is spot on. Once she moves her front foot a bit more toe side and squares it up she’ll stop trying to grip with her front toes and it all gets pretty easy.

She’s already looking good man, well done.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:18 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '14 Prostar
If she's that bonkers for it, the ideal position is about 60ft back, with a rope and a pair of skis, she'll be in one (trick or slalom) in 2-3 weeks
Old 08-23-2021, 11:49 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X80
She's just fine! The more comfortable she gets the more toe side she will ride.. IF anything, I would say watch the wave not the front of the board, that way she won't drift off and bleed off the energy... My niece was the same way at first. Then we worked her to ride more toe side to keep the energy off the wave. She'll get it real soon, the more toe pressure the less chance of riding off the wave perpendicular and losing the energy. Always told my niece if her toes are white then she's riding hard...