Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2021, 08:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
Shoremaster 40966 Boat Lift

Hi, does anyone have any experience with a shoremaster 40966 boat lift ? I have a 2007 X2 that I have been using on this lift for about 10 years. I replaced the worn out winch box with a heavy dutier one last year. I also have an electric motor on it. I have 2 issues. When raising the front of the lift creaks. I have lubed everything I can see with no change. The thing that really throws me is the front of the lift will not lower unless there is some weight on it? I cannot remember if it always did that. I am not sure how to correct it. The lift has been good to me for a long time. I want to make it good again but am not sure what direction to take.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 195
We have the same lift you have. The lift was purchased in 2008. We just replaced the winch cable which broke. The cable broke because it had been kinked by a family member. When he replaced the cable he sprayed it all with WD40 and every thing was perfectly quiet for about 2 weeks. Back to lots of groaning sounds again. Our lift does go down when empty. It has been noisy for the last couple of years.
Old 09-09-2021, 07:56 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2016 200 Sport Nautique
Mine lowers with or without the boat on it. Sounds to me like you have a pulley binding or frozen. It's rare but it does happen. The other thing we do is level the lift then make sure all the crossbars are at the correct mounting locations and even. Lastly I spray winch and winch cable down with a liberal coating of white lithium grease every spring before putting the lift in the water.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2020 XT22
My 50108 ShoreStation, even with an 1,800 fishing boat on it, creaks and moans sometimes.

I think it is because of the style (cable winding up and down from a winch)-

I was always told NOT to lube the cable as it then attracts sand/grime/junk from the water and can cause premature wear.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS197
How have you lubed things up? to really lube up those pulleys shoremaster (or my local dealer) recommends removing the pulley and putting antiseize between it and the bolt that holds it in place.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 PS197
Man you guys got me wanting to check my 20yr old Shorestation now. We are fortunate that our lake bed next to the pier allows me to get the thing VERY level most years. The only real noise we get is from the winch assy (I am not referring to the expected wheel stop clanking which has now been replaced by a LiftTech motor).
Old 09-19-2021, 09:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
How have you lubed things up? to really lube up those pulleys shoremaster (or my local dealer) recommends removing the pulley and putting antiseize between it and the bolt that holds it in place.
Right. The older models used brass sheaves and ss bushings. At t eh factory they would have used this:
Attached Images