• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smsbrett
    TT Regular
    • Oct 2009

Stand up Paddle Boards

I really want to get one (or 2) of these for this summer. I think it will be a good change of pace from simple kayaking and provide something to do without having to pay for gas especially for when others aren't around to ride, etc.

Anyone have experience? Recommendations for where to get one? They seem pretty expensive so I'd like to find a decent one at a decent price.
  • Justjoe
    MC Fanatic
    • Oct 2008

It's cool. Not like real cool, but....cool.

Get an old Mistral Superlight. Nice paddleboard, and you can sail the bageezus out of it.

Comment

• MCMIKE
      TT Newbie
      • May 2011

I paddleboard. Bought mine last year. It cost $1,200. and that included the paddle.
      It's a great sport very relaxing, you can have a lot of fun on them. SurfTech is a good brand.
      Last edited by MCMIKE; 05-08-2011, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• barefoot
        MC Devotee
        • Jun 2005

I'm in the market for one as well. I've paddled on a few, but haven't made a decision on what kind to buy. It's a great activity to do early morning and sunset. Besides, it's really good for your core.
        Hello, my name Ryan!

Comment

• smsbrett
          TT Regular
          • Oct 2009

anyone have comments about http://www.supatx.com/ ?

I'd rather not spend $1200. unlike my boat where I did see value in paying top dollar for quality, I'm not sure what added benefit I get from buying a top of the line paddleboard. Maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

• Tri4X2
            TT Enthusiast
            • Feb 2011

if you want a good board pay the money. DO NOT BUY SUPATX, unless you want a throw away board. You bought a MC for a reason, take the same attitude into the purchase of a board. Many brands out there will do just fine, but the cheaper you go the more you will pay in the long run. My wife and I have two custom boards that we bought in Hawaii years ago, they are great and have never had a soft spot one. Just beware. It's a great sport and we really enjoy it. My other advice is to get some lessons with someone that has been doing it for years and go from there. PM me if you want more info, and no I don't sell them just enjoy water sports!!!!

Surftech is a global community of surfers, shapers, designers, and craftsmen who are connected through surfing and the pursuit of perfection. For 30+ years we have been pioneering new technologies and introducing them to surfers, SUP'ers, and Prone paddlers around the world.

Buy the most popular paddle boards, used paddle boards, SUP paddles & more for sale delivered right to your door with Free Shipping.

Comment

• johnlanguab
              TT Enthusiast
              • Jul 2010

I just bought one from Appomattox River Company. It's a beginner board that is made of plastic, like a kayak. I figure I can use it for wakesurfing too. It's the Imagine Surf, priced very reasonable.

Comment

• mzimme
                MC Addict
                • Mar 2012

I've seen people doing this while I've been on beach vacations. For the life of me, I have yet to figure out why people would pay money to stand on a surf board and paddle around the ocean. Seems like the biggest waste of time ever.

Can someone explain exactly what would motivate them to go spend 1200 bucks on something that looks so boring?
                -Mike

Comment

• ttu
                  MC Addict
                  • Jun 2005

i might be going out on a limb here but maybe they want to get some exercise!!

Comment

• mzimme
                    MC Addict
                    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by ttu View Post
                    i might be going out on a limb here but maybe they want to get some exercise!!
                    If that's what it is, awesome. The first time I saw people doing this it was kids renting the boards out in the gulf. Surely they weren't in it for the exercise.

I'm genuinely curious... I'm completely ignorant on these things.
                    -Mike

Comment

• johnlanguab
                      TT Enthusiast
                      • Jul 2010

Waste of time? I'm not sure utility is the thing we're looking for in recreation... It's great for your core, and for someone like me who can't sit still, it's a lot of fun.

Comment

• shepherd
                        MC Addict
                        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by mzimme View Post
                        I've seen people doing this while I've been on beach vacations. For the life of me, I have yet to figure out why people would pay money to stand on a surf board and paddle around the ocean. Seems like the biggest waste of time ever.

Can someone explain exactly what would motivate them to go spend 1200 bucks on something that looks so boring?
                        Ha! Exactly what I was thinking. Those things are very popular around my area. They even have free loaners at the rec center marina where I work. I've been thinking about trying them, figured it could at least be pretty good exercise. Despite the exercise benefits, I don't see how anyone can call it "a lot of fun." Maybe I'll change my mind when I try it.
                        / \

Former boats:
                        2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
                        1990 Prostar 190

Comment

• BrooksfamX2
                          MC Devotee
                          • Dec 2011

My SIL makes them out of wook strips.

I have no interest.
                          Currently schlepping on BIL's X46

MISS "B" HAVEN

2007 X2, Indmar 350 MCX (Sold)
                          OJ 522 14.75 x 15.5
                          Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel
                          http://www.crowniehq.net

Comment

• johnlanguab
                            TT Enthusiast
                            • Jul 2010

Comment

• Sodar
                              MC Master Poster
                              • Nov 2004

Getting out on or in the ocean whether boat, board, yourself or any other means is the best thing in the world.

SUP boarding is great. The wife & I do it around the marina all the time and sometimes I get her to venture out into the ocean and into the waves. I'd much rather stand-up paddle board than be in a Kayak, too. I like being a little higher to see around.
                              -Cameron
                              2007 ProStar 197
                              1996 ProStar 190

Comment

Working...
                              X