Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 05-11-2021, 07:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft x14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post
You can make anything stiff with the right shocks, that doesn't say anything about their strength...
You can bag it and make it as stiff as you would like as the case is for most things if you are willing to spend a dime. Just remember that if a frog had wings it wouldn't hit its a** on the ground every time it jumped. Some stuff will always be compromised in one way or another.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonvp View Post
You can bag it and make it as stiff as you would like as the case is for most things if you are willing to spend a dime. Just remember that if a frog had wings it wouldn't hit its a** on the ground every time it jumped. Some stuff will always be compromised in one way or another.
Huh? I feel like you just missed the point entirely.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:51 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Huh? I feel like you just missed the point entirely.
I might have and I am sorry if I did. I was coming from the standpoint of that certain things will always be compromised is one way or another. For example lets talk surfing because that is what a lot of people like to do now! The x24 is going to be a more superior platform for surfing than lets say the nxt 24. Conversely you are going to get a much more manageable ski wake out of the nxt. Now you can put as much ballast as you would like in the nxt and get it to perform close to how the x24 performs but it will never be a x24. The bottom line is that you can only alter a certain platform so much from its intended use. The same can be said for tow vehicles. A unibody vehicle like the grand Cherokee is always going to have its limitations in one way or another because it just wasn't designed to be a tow haus. That is not to say that it can't be modified to do the job better than in its stock form. Everything will always have its trade offs, smaller tow vehicles are going to have their certain draw backs just as large tow vehicles have theirs. Everyone has different wants and needs out of their vehicles and I was just offering my opinion on how I felt the platform handled while towing to better inform others.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonvp View Post
I might have and I am sorry if I did. I was coming from the standpoint of that certain things will always be compromised is one way or another. For example lets talk surfing because that is what a lot of people like to do now! The x24 is going to be a more superior platform for surfing than lets say the nxt 24. Conversely you are going to get a much more manageable ski wake out of the nxt. Now you can put as much ballast as you would like in the nxt and get it to perform close to how the x24 performs but it will never be a x24. The bottom line is that you can only alter a certain platform so much from its intended use. The same can be said for tow vehicles. A unibody vehicle like the grand Cherokee is always going to have its limitations in one way or another because it just wasn't designed to be a tow haus. That is not to say that it can't be modified to do the job better than in its stock form. Everything will always have its trade offs, smaller tow vehicles are going to have their certain draw backs just as large tow vehicles have theirs. Everyone has different wants and needs out of their vehicles and I was just offering my opinion on how I felt the platform handled while towing to better inform others.
You still completely missed the point.

You said a stiffer ride is an indication of strength to you. I say stiffness has little bearing on strength, otherwise sports cars would be very strong tow vehicles by that logic.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:35 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
You still completely missed the point.

You said a stiffer ride is an indication of strength to you. I say stiffness has little bearing on strength, otherwise sports cars would be very strong tow vehicles by that logic.
I would 100% agree with you that stiffness of a suspension does not directly correlate with its load bearing capabilities. My $.02 was that I do not feel that the Grand Cherokee platform is built with beefiness in mind and I am sorry if my lingo of soft is confusing. My butt would be puckered pulling a 5000 pound load at 75 down the interstate.