Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 06-16-2020, 01:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '85 Stars & Stripes
Steady Pass review - Alternative to Perfect Pass

I wanted to write a little review on my experience with Steady Pass GPS speed control system.

First I will start with the install (will add some pictures later). For someone that has never messed with ANY type of speed control system, I could see how the initial instructions are slightly confusing if you don't actually understand how these products work. Basically you get the bezel/gauge that has wire leads to your servo. On this system, the servo cable installs in parallel with the existing throttle cable. Servo connects to carb, existing throttle cable connects to servo via linkage. You pull the throttle as normal, but when speed is reached, the servo motor actuates outward (rather than inward like Perfect Pass) to create slack and reduce RPMs until target speed is reached. Simple.

-First thing I did was take apart my dash to remove the OE gauge that was broken already. To install it into place, I did have to sand down the outside of the Steady Pass module. No big deal, it was just too tight of fit at first. Connections were simple, one wire to tach, one to hot, one to ground, done.

-Wire in GPS puck and air temp thermometer. I chose to drill holes in my dash and run the puck just in front of the the instrument cluster and expose it to the outside. Apparently this isn't always necessary, but I wanted the connection to satellite to happen as fast as possible. So drill a small hole, hold down puck with hook and loop. Easy.

-Run servo wires from GPS gauge to engine. The way the kits come, the servo wires are extremely thin and no shielding or protection is provided of any kind. I chose to purchase some 1/2" flexible conduit the run the wires inside of.

-Install servo motor. This is going to give the common Teamtalker the most heartache. The servo assembly is essentially a PVC tube with wire on one end and cable coming out of the other. Packaging is decision to be made by the installer, I chose to utilize the coil bracketry. Is this the best place for the servo tube? I'm not sure, I'm not 100% comfortable with the placement as I am not privy to the NVH of this area under normal load. Basically am I risking damage to the coil itself or just the little bracket? Not sure. Anyway, I did modify the wire end of PVC tube to accept my 1/2" conduit. The stock provided end posed as a chaffing/cut risk to the servo wires.

-Install servo cable to carb. I moved the existing throttle linkage as far back as possible, but still had to make my own L-bracket to attach the servo to the OE throttle cable.

Review of actual system while running.

Overall, I am pleased with the performance & so is my wife. I'm not a tournament level skiier, but depending on roughness of water, this thing will hold speed +/- 0.5-1mph all day and this is JUST fine for me. She is able to hammer down, and not even look at the speed. I wanted to be critical of this system and really tell the pros and cons, but honestly, what are the cons? It does exactly what I expect it to do and I recommend it to anyone that doesn't want to drop $12-1500 on Stargazer. To me, I did not feel that spending more than half the cost of my entire S&S just to get a speed control system was worth it. $400 on this system, its a steal in my opinion.

Additionally, the support from their team is nice. They are there to answer any questions & provide free software updates whenever they come out with one. I felt like I went into this similar to how an investor gives money to a tech start-up company - taking a chance on something relatively unproven. The steadypass people are aware of their current packaging 'shortcomings' if you even want to call them that, and seem to be continually improving the product. Like I said, if you are on the fence about speed control because of price/don't think the ol' S&S is worthy of Stargazer, are not a tournament level skier, give this a serious look. As long as the system reasonably holds up to use, I think I will be very pleased in the long run on this product.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 ProStar 205 LTR330
Hucklefin thanks for the summary! How is this system working now that you have had it for the summer? Was there much needed to set up the system software once installed? What is it like to opperate in practice on the water?

I want it mainly for knee/wakeboarding and surfing for the kids as it is challenging to maintain these low speeds accuratley. Would be great if it was accurate enough for slalom, but as my wife is an exceptional driver and has driven me through the course for many years with and with out PP/ZO, and as I get less competitive ( actually just getting older...) I dont "need" a laser accurate speed control.

Keen to hear your thoughts..

Mark

'99 Mastercraft ProStar 205 330-LTR
Old 10-14-2020, 01:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark rsa2au View Post
Hucklefin thanks for the summary! How is this system working now that you have had it for the summer? Was there much needed to set up the system software once installed? What is it like to opperate in practice on the water?

I want it mainly for knee/wakeboarding and surfing for the kids as it is challenging to maintain these low speeds accuratley. Would be great if it was accurate enough for slalom, but as my wife is an exceptional driver and has driven me through the course for many years with and with out PP/ZO, and as I get less competitive ( actually just getting older...) I dont "need" a laser accurate speed control.

Keen to hear your thoughts..
The system has operated as intended for the entire summer. The only issue I can report is that two times under operation, the speed indicated something wonky like 45 mph, and the result was the boat slowing down to idle. I'm not sure why these instances occurred. For set up once installed, you are able to tune the PID controller, but I didn't touch mine. Every once and awhile you get an email from the manufacturer saying to try this or that for better response. Operation on the water is simple, it remembers the previous set speed and you can just turn the rotary knob to pick a different speed. There are no other settings for the type of pull you receive like PP.

For us the accuracy has been fine and very helpful to my wife who previously had 0 experience driving the boat. I'd rather her pay attention to what she's doing rather than speed tolerance of the boat. I pulled some fairly strong skiers this year and while they did not complain about the pull being too soft or inconsistent or anything, I doubt this is what a tournament level skier would want given how complicated ZO or PP is - I'm sure they would feel the difference. Also I did not notice the boat slowing too badly or the speed varying too much with the strong skiers. Overall I'm pleased with the performance of the speed control.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Prostar 205 5.7L
Excellent, thanks for the review. I will likely go down this path this winter. I'm in the same situation as you. Not a tournament skier but need whoever is driving to pay attention to driving and not speed.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks Hucklefin! Appreciate your thoughts on this.

I ordered a kit last week (although they have not sent it yet...) and looking forward to getting it installed on my boat for our summer Downunder.

My course sking days were with manual controll via the driver and then with the early perfect pass units - yes it was a while ago.... While I appreciate the newer PP and ZO units and can see their benefits, I like yourself am just looking for a simple speed controller to make leisure skiing/wake&kneeboarding/surfing a little easier for the driver so that we can all enjoy.

Mark

Old 10-14-2020, 06:46 PM
MC Addict

Boat: none
Is this a company or homemade?
Old 10-14-2020, 07:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark rsa2au View Post
Thanks Hucklefin! Appreciate your thoughts on this.

I ordered a kit last week (although they have not sent it yet...) and looking forward to getting it installed on my boat for our summer Downunder.

My course sking days were with manual controll via the driver and then with the early perfect pass units - yes it was a while ago.... While I appreciate the newer PP and ZO units and can see their benefits, I like yourself am just looking for a simple speed controller to make leisure skiing/wake&kneeboarding/surfing a little easier for the driver so that we can all enjoy.

Yeah thatís pretty much the perfect attitude to have for this kind of product. When you receive it, youíre going to understand why itís price point for sure, but you can do things like I did to protect the cables, other things to make the install a little nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post

Company, Iím not affiliated at all, I just think Im the only one to have really written anything on the forums and Iím sure people are curious if they heard about it at all.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
http://steadypass.com

They are a company developing this as an alternative to the existing Perfect Pass or Zero Off. Aimed at those of use who have simpler less demanding needs of a speed controller - and who would rather pay $400 than $1200 for that simpler set up.

Their product is in constant development and I like that they listen to the customer. The kit looks great and by all accounts is pretty easy to install - no more challanging then any other device, but as Hucklefin already pointed out may need further refinements once installed.

I have ordered a kit and hopefully will have similar feedback to Hucklefin once installed.

Mark

Old 10-15-2020, 09:01 AM
MC Addict

Boat: none
I just ask because of the engine servo that’s in a PCV pipe bomb. As a customer that could use refinement.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Quote:
I just ask because of the engine servo thatís in a PCV pipe bomb. As a customer that could use refinement.
It would look cool to make one from some stainless tube, weld some caps on it and machine a nice surface.

Anyone know what size (OD and ID) that pipe is?