Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-09-2021, 09:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190
Vent hose on fuel tank plus ground wire

Two questions guys, both fuel cell related

#1 I thought I had read awhile back, maybe it was waterlogged? that the vent line for the fuel tank should have a loop in it to help prevent water from entering. If that's right, I assume it creates a trap of sorts? My vent line is not currently set like that.

#2 I noticed some stray wires by the fuel cell that are not hooked up to anything... Because of their proximity, I am guessing they are supposed to connect to the filler port to serve as ground, then run to/connect where the fuel tank is grounded. Could anyone confirm that's how its supposed to be set up?
Old 05-09-2021, 09:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayR View Post
Two questions guys, both fuel cell related

#1 I thought I had read awhile back, maybe it was waterlogged? that the vent line for the fuel tank should have a loop in it to help prevent water from entering. If that's right, I assume it creates a trap of sorts? My vent line is not currently set like that.

#2 I noticed some stray wires by the fuel cell that are not hooked up to anything... Because of their proximity, I am guessing they are supposed to connect to the filler port to serve as ground, then run to/connect where the fuel tank is grounded. Could anyone confirm that's how its supposed to be set up?
1) The vent should (in theory) have a loop on the top side of the vent path (not a drip type loop on the low side). At least, find a place for a point of attachment and raise part of the vent line higher than the vent (if that is an option...boats vary). A high point along the path of the vent hose is OK. I have never had an issue with water intrusion through my vent. I have a straight hose and never give it much thought. Any form of change in direction to prevent water from getting into the hose is OK.

2) Without a photo, I can guess...there may be a green wire that should connect to the filler flange at the fuel cell. Some folks have removed that specific ground point and moved it to a place away from the fuel cell's confined space.

Other wires could be for the full level indicator to send a signal to the fuel gauge.

There are also wires for the blower (if applicable to that location) as well as the anchor light.

Thing about some of the older boats is that traceability is tedious as MC piggy-backed or spliced hots and grounds in the transom area. Almost more work to do that than to run separate wires.

2 Peter 1:38
Old 05-10-2021, 08:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

waterlogged
Thanks as always for your input.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I don't think you want a "loop" in the vent hose - that would tend to trap water/fuel in the lower part of the loop. I think waterlogged's description is better - you want the vent hose to have a high point as high as possible, so water/fuel doesn't make it up and over the hump.

As far as the ground wire attached to the fuel fill, there was an ECO after the boat was built to disconnect the ground wire from the fill. Apparently, there's a small chance of a spark if the ground is attached. See the attached doc.
Attached Files
File Type: txt FuelGrounding.txt (3.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-13-2021, 11:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Frank
Thanks for the update and document. I will check to see if my fuel fill in plastic or metal. I wonder if its plastic and that's why the wire was there but not hooked up and the previous owner already followed this directive.... though the document does say MC used plastic from 99 on and my boat is an 88.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Guys
I checked my boat this weekend (88 prostar) and it is a metal fuel fill port along with a metal cap. I will be reattaching the ground wire to it.

as stated in the document frank provided
"this directive (to remove bonding wires) applies only to PLAS-TIC fuel fill assemblies with metallic caps and retaining chains; (me:typically used after 1999) the U.S. Coast Guard and ABYC standards still require that any ALL-METALLIC fuel fills continue to be bonded".