Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2015, 05:27 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
............... use the Harold's method for anything other then shows. It's flat out too dangerous and slippery to use on a daily driver.
Not a truer statement on the board. Tomato Head Harold's method is for shows / parking and looking. even Skidog knows that

Each to their own....

2 Peter 1:3–8
Old 05-25-2015, 07:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I can tell you, from personal experience, you don't want to use the Harold's method for anything other then shows. It's flat out too dangerous and slippery to use on a daily driver.
Thats what i heard.

I did not want to use linseed oil due to the hazard of said liquid.

This seems like its going to work nicely. The oil would have washed off in a week with how we keep out boat docked (platform is usually under water...) or rollers hit it constantly.

Is this going to be slippery when went? Seems like its got a lot of wood feel still, I was expecting more of polyurethane style coating and im kinda glad that is not what im noticing.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:49 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar, 1999, 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theomedic View Post
What I did the past week was power washed then let it dry. Sanded it with 150 to 220 sandpaper, Rinsed it off & let it dry again. Are used a tach cloth to remove any residue. Then I applied linseed oil and mineral spirits at a 75/25 or 80/20 ratio. I waited 24 hours between coats used three coats let try in sun.

Like others have said be careful with the rags - linseed oil is highly flammable. Dispose of properly.
Is there a specific brand linseed oil/mineral spirits you bought?
Old 03-03-2021, 07:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar
Refinishing teak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcmahen5 View Post
Is there a specific brand linseed oil/mineral spirits you bought?

I use whatever they had at Home Depot or Lowe’s and seemed to work fine. I did need to do a 1/2 summer touch up and end of season redo but it keeps it nice.

And the touch up is easy. Really redid the whole thing I guess but didn’t need much.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 MasterCraft ProStar 209, 330 HP Indmar
So i finished up my swimboard and I'm very pleased with the results. I know a lot of people are going with the linseed oil but I prefer the look/finish of teak sealer. I initially cleaned and brightened the swimboard with teak brite products then I sanded with a random orbital sander starting with 80 grit and eventually finishing with 120 grit. I cleaned and brightened a second time in between sanding. The pictures below are how it started, how it looked after cleaner and brightener and then the final product. This was only 1 coat of teak sealer, but I eventually put on a 2nd coat (not pictured). Loving it! can't wait to hit the water this summer.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2021, 02:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 ProStar 190
Slippery when wet.
Old 05-13-2021, 12:26 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft X2 w/Pro Package , 2013, 5.7L
Picking up on this thread as I just bought a 2013 MC X2. Want to freshen up the teak deck and seeing some conflicting info in the thread. What is the best method to make it look good with a deep finish, but not slippery / un-functional to use when on the water? From what I've read through, this seems to be the best approach to achieving these requirements, but just looking for agreement:

"What I did the past week was power washed then let it dry. Sanded it with 150 to 220 sandpaper, Rinsed it off & let it dry again. Are used a tach cloth to remove any residue. Then I applied linseed oil and mineral spirits at a 75/25 or 80/20 ratio. I waited 24 hours between coats used three coats let try in sun"
Old 05-13-2021, 01:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 NXT22 Prior 2002 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnst1 View Post
Picking up on this thread as I just bought a 2013 MC X2. Want to freshen up the teak deck and seeing some conflicting info in the thread. What is the best method to make it look good with a deep finish, but not slippery / un-functional to use when on the water? From what I've read through, this seems to be the best approach to achieving these requirements, but just looking for agreement:

"What I did the past week was power washed then let it dry. Sanded it with 150 to 220 sandpaper, Rinsed it off & let it dry again. Are used a tach cloth to remove any residue. Then I applied linseed oil and mineral spirits at a 75/25 or 80/20 ratio. I waited 24 hours between coats used three coats let try in sun"
If you just want it to look really good for a season then keep it simple.

1. Pressure wash
2. Scrub with stiff bristle brush with dawn
3. Pressure wash and let dry
4. Star brite teak sealer.

This won't be as pretty as some on the thread, but it is a durable finish (for a season) and easy to do for your first time.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:34 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft X2 w/Pro Package , 2013, 5.7L
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Johnson View Post
If you just want it to look really good for a season then keep it simple.

1. Pressure wash
2. Scrub with stiff bristle brush with dawn
3. Pressure wash and let dry
4. Star brite teak sealer.

This won't be as pretty as some on the thread, but it is a durable finish (for a season) and easy to do for your first time.
Great, thanks for the quick reply! I noticed earlier in the thread, some said to NOT use a sealer.....what is the issue with a sealer vs using oils?
Old 05-13-2021, 01:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 NXT22 Prior 2002 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnst1 View Post
Great, thanks for the quick reply! I noticed earlier in the thread, some said to NOT use a sealer.....what is the issue with a sealer vs using oils?
Nothing. The oil creates a better looking finish, but StarBrite also makes a three step oil and sealer. It really just depends on how well you prep the surface and don't over apply whatever you use. Sealer is the easiest in my opinion. I've used Tung Oil from big box and it works fine too. Make sure your platform is completely dry before applying AND between coats, make sure it is in the sun between coats and apply product very lightly.