Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 01-12-2016, 08:59 AM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft pro star 190 corvette LT1 1997
Cool New Carpet and Vinyl for the PS 190

Little early but am wanting to have a plan together for next winter when I dive into this project. I am going to replace the carpet and all vinyl in the boat. I'm looking for advice and help on this topic. I will be having a local upholstery shop doing all the vinyl but the carpet I am going to tackle myself. Questions: Color preferences and brand of carpet to go with boat currently has a tan looking carpet in it right now but am kind of leaning more towards the charcoal or silver any pros and cons? How much carpet do you get for a project like this or I should say how do you go about figuring that out? Onto the vinyl brand, colors, designs, patterns any input on this would be great as well, looking for ideas I would like to veer a little off of the stock pattern just for a personal touch so if you have done something like this please post pictures. thanks in advance. Boat is a 97' PS 190 LT1 Red and white
Old 01-12-2016, 09:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
add a pic of the boat that always helps
Old 01-12-2016, 09:19 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerick View Post
Little early but am wanting to have a plan together for next winter when I dive into this project. I am going to replace the carpet and all vinyl in the boat. I'm looking for advice and help on this topic. I will be having a local upholstery shop doing all the vinyl but the carpet I am going to tackle myself. Questions: Color preferences and brand of carpet to go with boat currently has a tan looking carpet in it right now but am kind of leaning more towards the charcoal or silver any pros and cons? How much carpet do you get for a project like this or I should say how do you go about figuring that out? Onto the vinyl brand, colors, designs, patterns any input on this would be great as well, looking for ideas I would like to veer a little off of the stock pattern just for a personal touch so if you have done something like this please post pictures. thanks in advance. Boat is a 97' PS 190 LT1 Red and white
I replaced the carpet in a boat I don't have anymore. I took out the old carpet very carefully to avoid tearing it. Once you have all the pieces out you can lay it out like it was in the boat and get a measurement for width and length, or number of pieces and sizes. I then used the old carpet pieces as a pattern to cut the new pieces (this made installation a lot easier). Glued in place with waterproof contact cement (applied with a large paint brush) and that was it. Used a paint roller to roll over the carpet to make sure all of the carpet is in contact with the glue. Have to be careful to put just enough glue to get adhesion but not too much so that it wicks up through the carpet. Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:52 PM
TT Regular

here is a pic of the boat.Name:  boat.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  47.5 KB
Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Several threads on carpet replacement. Here's one with a couple posts/pics of mine (from a Tristar 190, around post #21) Prostar will be longer. It illustrates the general ideas, materials, etc.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=53539

The width of the carpet goods purchased will be a big factor, as I've seen it as 6', 8', & 8.5' widths. Basically, you should be able to get 'both halves' from an 8 or 8.5' width, but probably won't get the center panels from it too. Need an extra bit of length for that. 6' goods seems to create more waste.

On mine I switched it from a dark blue carpet throughout to a medium gray (bimini also was gray). Pleased with the change.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
Here's another that also has some vinyl ideas.

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...t=60334&page=3
Old 02-06-2016, 08:00 PM
TT Regular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2016, 08:02 PM
TT Regular

The tear down has begun got everything out gonna start pulling carpet tomorrow ended up going with Malibu 16 oz from overtons will keep this updated with new pictures as I continue this journey

Old 02-07-2016, 09:35 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerick View Post
The tear down has begun got everything out gonna start pulling carpet tomorrow ended up going with Malibu 16 oz from overtons will keep this updated with new pictures as I continue this journey

Sent from my stupid iPhone using handicapped Tapatalk
$0.02 ==> Remove carpet in as much of one-piece (as practical) to use as a template for cutting new carpet pieces. Makes for a much easier job all around. A little time here will save you a lot of time later.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:39 AM
TT Regular

Yeah that's what we're doing. Makes sense how mc did it but I guess I wasn't thinking but I thought the carpet was cut out around all the fiber glass like the observers seat and the rear by the gunnel supports little did I know that they put the carpet in first then drop the top half of the boat in makes it for a little more dificulty but it's not going to bad just taking things slow

Tags
190, carpet, prostar, vinyl