Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 11:53 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADP43619 View Post
I Agree with you when I first started at 275 i was looking for any and all "Magick Pills" and would spend $1000 a year at the supplement store and found most products do very little - nothing. now the only thing I use Is a thermogenic (high Caffeine) in the am instead of coffee
and a pre workout on days I lift heavy, and protein powder if I am short on protein for the day. but things like weight loss pills And BCAAs are some of the biggest scams.

just my opinion
Before you strike out on BCAA's maybe read this. there are some great points, pros and cons.
http://main.poliquingroup.com/Articl...pplements.aspx

Are you cycle loading on your thermo's?

And you must not be using much supplements if only spending $1000 a year lol.(My list is each day (and I lift 5 days a week)Multivitimans, Joint support pills, protein powder, preworkout, BCAA's, Thermo during the day, a natural sleep aid.)

I am into rec power lifting/strongman and I wish I was only spending $1000 a year on supps.

Not sure if you ever heard of Charles Poliquin ( I believe he is from Canada) but the man is a legend when it came to building muscle and Olympic athletes. I have read so many articles and listened to many podcasts and the guy is a genius. I am now using his systems for the past 2 years and have gained more then ever since I have been training since the early 2000's
So many other people use his processes now a days when back in the late 80's early 90's people laughed at his processes and now most weight training programs are built using his methods, Why??? Because they work.

Reading all the comments about "Don't eat carbs!, dont eat this, dont eat that" F$%K that!!! You need these fuels for the body to work properly to ensure the nutrients are being burned at proper ratios and fuel is being used at the right times.
Sure if you cut out carbs and all that you will lose weight, but you also lose huge amounts of fuel which the body needs to be able to help with the energy system to keep it up for you.
One thing I have learned in all the years, there is no easy way to get in shape, but sure is easy to put on the weight. and there lies the issue, all these people doing these odd diets (Keto, vegan, paleo and every other stupid garbage social media driven crap out there) is unless you understand how food in the body works you will fail or the moment you come off the diet you put double the weight you lost because your body is looking for the nutrients you starved them of.
Anytime I hear the word "Cheat" that tells me they are depriving themselves from something, you should never have to cheat instead eat but moderate (unless you are some pro bodybuilder then yeah ok )
And the ultimate is portion sizing and quality of food purchased at the store not boxed garbage.

Anyways just my.02 and such a great thread!!!
Old 12-06-2018, 02:53 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2018 NXT 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guestuser123 View Post
Before you strike out on BCAA's maybe read this. there are some great points, pros and cons.
http://main.poliquingroup.com/Articl...pplements.aspx

Are you cycle loading on your thermo's?

And you must not be using much supplements if only spending $1000 a year lol.(My list is each day (and I lift 5 days a week)Multivitimans, Joint support pills, protein powder, preworkout, BCAA's, Thermo during the day, a natural sleep aid.)

I am into rec power lifting/strongman and I wish I was only spending $1000 a year on supps.

Not sure if you ever heard of Charles Poliquin ( I believe he is from Canada) but the man is a legend when it came to building muscle and Olympic athletes. I have read so many articles and listened to many podcasts and the guy is a genius. I am now using his systems for the past 2 years and have gained more then ever since I have been training since the early 2000's
So many other people use his processes now a days when back in the late 80's early 90's people laughed at his processes and now most weight training programs are built using his methods, Why??? Because they work.

Reading all the comments about "Don't eat carbs!, dont eat this, dont eat that" F$%K that!!! You need these fuels for the body to work properly to ensure the nutrients are being burned at proper ratios and fuel is being used at the right times.
Sure if you cut out carbs and all that you will lose weight, but you also lose huge amounts of fuel which the body needs to be able to help with the energy system to keep it up for you.
One thing I have learned in all the years, there is no easy way to get in shape, but sure is easy to put on the weight. and there lies the issue, all these people doing these odd diets (Keto, vegan, paleo and every other stupid garbage social media driven crap out there) is unless you understand how food in the body works you will fail or the moment you come off the diet you put double the weight you lost because your body is looking for the nutrients you starved them of.
Anytime I hear the word "Cheat" that tells me they are depriving themselves from something, you should never have to cheat instead eat but moderate (unless you are some pro bodybuilder then yeah ok )
And the ultimate is portion sizing and quality of food purchased at the store not boxed garbage.

Anyways just my.02 and such a great thread!!!
LOL Sorry it was supposed to say 1000's. I definitely sent more then a 1000 a year.
I do try to cycle off my thermo taking a month off to detox a few times a year I know its not good for me but hay something has to kill us and I don't drink coffee or smoke cigarettes, or even drink more than 1-2 pops a month .

As far as Bcaas go it is a touchy subject. I agree they are important however if you are eating properly you should get all the Bcaas you need no need to piss your money right down the drain, Literally. but I will check out that article I love to find out about other thoughts. I have seen some things from Charles. what I have found over the years it respect the classics. the old way is the best way. I found over the summer I put on 20 lbs over a few months from just eating like an ******* and drinking. I just went back to old school work out and eat less. I actually started Following Lazar Angelov meal plan and enjoyed it. in 6 weeks I dropped 15 lbs and 15 inches. Everyone wants to know what my secret is and Like you said its not don't eat this don't eat that. its simply eat in a caloric deficit (Eat Less then you burn per day) If you burn 2200 calories eat 2000 it takes 3500 calorie deficit to loose 1 lb. So if you want to drink beer and eat Ice cream all day you can just stay under you calorie count for the day. you can actually gain weight eating salads all day. at several restaurants the items with the highest calorie count is a salad. check out this article
http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/01/05/...cdonalds-diet/
Old 01-02-2019, 03:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
New year, so what are you guys’ plans/progress for weight loss? I love to hear how things are going. And I need motivation! Not to lose any weight myself, but trying to get stronger. Any time I hear about one of you successfully staying on that grind, helps me grind! And it is definitely a grind. Some days I don’t want to lift, or even work out at all, but each day I don’t is a waste (except rest days).
Old 01-02-2019, 04:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
New year, so what are you guys’ plans/progress for weight loss? I love to hear how things are going. And I need motivation! Not to lose any weight myself, but trying to get stronger. Any time I hear about one of you successfully staying on that grind, helps me grind! And it is definitely a grind. Some days I don’t want to lift, or even work out at all, but each day I don’t is a waste (except rest days).
I started my diet 10/12/17 – 5’10” and 198#… A few folks here said what I was doing was not sustainable… I started with Keto, but ended up with a routine low carb diet. I think I’ve had fast food 3x total since October 2017. Nothing tastes as good as being healthy and being HWP feels…. Not to mention being able to ski at a much higher level, qualifying for regionals for the 1st time ever. I ran two 5ks both non-stop in 29.05 and 30.14.

At 30 days: 179.1 (-18.9)
At 60 days: 175.5 (-22.5)
At 90 Days: 167.9 (-30.1)
At 120 Days: 164 (-34)

I'm now at 447 days and I am down 31. Tonight, I am starting training for spring waterskiing, and getting back to <20 carbs/day until I am at target…

Pushups: 20 reps x2
Situps: 30 reps x2
Dips: 20 reps x2
Jumping Jacks 30 reps x2
Stationary Bike: 10 min/3 miles

It may not sound like much, but daily, this adds up nicely.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:45 PM
MC Devotee

I sent this to another TTer, thought it might help others:

Re Alcohol and dieting, here’s a few websites I’ve used:

Carbs in alcohol:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol

Carbs in beers:
https://www.ruled.me/low-carb-and-ke...-beer-options/
https://lowcarbediem.com/atkins-low-...parison-chart/

One of the things I did at the very beginning was created a menu for the week… That was until I learned what I could and could not eat.

A sample:

Monday:
Bfast: coffee with Splenda and heavy whipping cream
Snack: string cheese
Lunch: Taco salad, do not eat the shell
Snack: 3 cups skinny pop popcorn or similar
Dinner: tbone steaks with riced cauliflower, a salad with bacon bits shredded cheddar and French fried onions. Drink: 5 oz red wine

Tue:
Lunch: leftovers from dinner
Snack: 5-6 parmesan cheese crisps
Dinner: Grilled Chicken marinated in zest Italian dressing, a salad with bacon bits shredded cheddar and French fried onions. Drink: gin and tonic

Wed:
Snack: shelled pistachios or sunflower seeds
Dinner: Grilled bacon cheeseburgers – no bun, a salad with bacon bits shredded cheddar and French fried onions. Drink: Cystal light lemon aid

Thu:
Dinner: BBQ brisket – NO sauce (or 2 tsp limit), a salad with bacon bits shredded cheddar and French fried onions. Drink: low carb beer

Fri:
Snack: 5-6 parmesan cheese crisps
Dinner: Beef Fajitas (no tortillas), a salad with bacon bits shredded cheddar and French fried onions. Drink: crystal light

Sat:
Bfast: coffee with Splenda and heavy whipping cream and a 2 egg omelet with onion, jalapeno, cheddar.
Snack: 3 cups skinny pop popcorn or similar
Dinner: BBQ brisket – NO sauce (or 2 tsp limit), a salad with bacon bits shredded cheddar and French fried onions. Drink: low carb beer

Sun:
Dinner: BBQ brisket – NO sauce (or 2 tsp limit), a salad with bacon bits shredded cheddar and French fried onions. Drink: crystal light

As you can see, there are a few things that will become routine staples and yes, it can get boring… salad has been a great low carb ‘filler…” Some of the items you will like better. It will suck for the 1st two weeks but after the initial shock is over and you start seeing results, you will be thankful you did it.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:04 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
what I see what you did wrong right there.

coffee = black!!!

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 01-02-2019, 06:41 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
what I see what you did wrong right there.

coffee = black!!!
Like your women?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2019, 08:00 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
Like your women?

Toothless mostly. After all it is Alabama.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 01-02-2019, 08:15 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Toothless mostly. After all it is Alabama.
Four molars is my own personal preference!

Old 01-04-2019, 03:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X9, 2004, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
Like your women?

I like my coffee like I like my women.... full of booze.
hahaha...