Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 09-16-2021, 09:19 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2016 200 Sport Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertTriv View Post
Thanks for all the info guys! I ended up NOT fogging the engine as you guys suggested. I drained the entire heater and blew it out then filled it with antifreeze and blew it through. I also drained the exhaust on both sides, drained the trans cooler and poured some antifreeze into there. Also drained the block on both sides. Then filled the entire block with antifreeze from the heater feed hose location at the top of the engine. I then ran some antifreeze through the water intake hose with the engine running but it wasn't up to temp to open the T stat. Does that matter that it wasn't up to temp since I filled the block up from the heater hose location at the top? Antifreeze was happily coming out of the prop area and exhausts when running.
IMO you're good.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:29 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2016 200 Sport Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewbacca View Post
Is antifreeze a necessity? I see OP is in Canada, but how about for boats in further south? On my old I/O I'd just drain the block/manifolds and never worried about it.
Holy war item like "what is the best oil to run?". Some say yes, some say no. Some in Texas don't even drain the block in heated storage and got to buy new engines last year after the ice storm.

I use -100 antifreeze mostly because I live in Michigan and store in a non-heated pole barn with a cement floor. A lot of people swear by "dry blocking" and it has worked out wonderful. Whatever spins your prop is good with me.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar
Donít forget, also important if you drive a Ford or Chevy truck to store to get the antifreeze!
Old 09-16-2021, 12:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft x-14 2008 mcx
I installed the Indmar sea strainer which has a garden hose fitting on it. First I dry block by pulling the knock sensors then reinstall.fasten a short piece of garden hose to sea strainer, shut off lake water intake , put hose in antifreeze (20 litres) start the engine . Then dry block again.when I take hoses off engine and manifolds antifreeze always runs out into the hull from every where.