• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oz5ks
    TT Newbie
    • Mar 2014

Prop Refurb

I am looking to buy a 2009 X-15. One of the 4 blades on the prop is bent. Can the prop be reconditioned and if so, what might I expect it to cost?

Secondly, since it is bent, what other issues should I look for (bent shaft, etc.) during my dry inspection and test drive of the boat? Appears the blade is bent towards the bow!

Thxs

Larry
    Attached Files
  • wheelerd
    MC Devotee
    • Dec 2007

Short answer, yes, it can be fixed. Hard to tell from the pic but it doesn't look that bad. Cost, likely in the $150 - 200 range, depending on the extent.

If the blade is bent forward it may have happened while in reverse, so the speed would not have been that great.

During the water test check for vibration at various speeds. You can do a visual check for a bent shaft by rotating it slowly although a run-out gauge would be more accurate. Also check for trueness of the strut and the condition of the cutlass bearing. The prop shaft should be centered at both ends.

The extent of any damage would also depend on how long the prop ran after the accident and at what speed. A slow idle to get back the dock wouldn't do any damage.
    2005 X2, Viper Red, MCX, Acme 1285, PPass, rear 750 sacs, KBS, IBS, Bennett Wake Plate
    (previous) 2001 X5, 1991 TriStar 190

Comment

• mikeg205
      MC Master Poster
      • Aug 2011

I would also take a look at the strut hull union... look for any spider cracks. these props are fairly soft to absorb most impacts -

I agree with wheelerd
      sigpic...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....

Comment

• CruisinGA
        MC Maniac
        • Jun 2009

If I was buying a boat and the prop had problems, I would factor the cost of a new prop. I would also be concerned about the shaft and strut, depending on how bad the prop was damaged.
        Bailey
        '02 X-9
        Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

• wheelerd
          MC Devotee
          • Dec 2007

My guess is your strut and shaft will be OK. I hit something once at skiing speed, mangled the prop and bent the strut. I figured I would have to replace the shaft but it actually was OK. Given it's length and relative thickness (thinness?) it has some flex to it.
          2005 X2, Viper Red, MCX, Acme 1285, PPass, rear 750 sacs, KBS, IBS, Bennett Wake Plate
          (previous) 2001 X5, 1991 TriStar 190

Comment

• east tx skier
            MC Hero
            • Jul 2004

If you have a feeler gauge, you can check the shaft run out in a matter of minutes. Reconditioning that prop should cost around $120 plus shipping (both ways). Don't test drive until there's a true prop on there so you can check for other things.
            Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.

Comment

• oz5ks
              TT Newbie
              • Mar 2014

Prop Refurb

Thxs for all your insight and recommendations on what to look for. I totally agree to not water test it with a bad prop!

Larry

Comment

Working...
              X