Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 09-14-2021, 11:56 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 ProStar 190 351 PowerSlot
1989 MC PS190 trailer axle needed

That pretty much says it all. If anyone has one, used or new,
let me know.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 09-14-2021, 03:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
If I needed a new axle I would order it from Champion Trailers in Louisiana, they will fabricate one to your specifications.

https://www.championtrailers.com/axles-painted-utility/

Last edited by Miss Rita; 09-14-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 04:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Maristar 210
The axle on my 99 single axle trailer is pretty non-standard as axles go. Not sure about your 1989 which is 10 years older.

You'll need to list some of the details so you can get a good referral. For example my 99 is:
- 5200 lb capacity
- Painted
- Rectangular 2" x 3"
- Leaf spring (not torsion)
- 4" drop

After this you'll need the axle face to face dimension which requires a measuring tape.

As replacement axles go my 99 is pretty much a unicorn. I can't find any off the shelf that matches is exactly. Dexter comes pretty close with a 5200lb 2 inch drop leaf spring. You can get a 3500 lb, no drop, leaf spring axle of nearly any type by comparison.

I think the recommendation of getting one custom made is a good idea. If you are in a pinch, you might be able to get someone to weld your current axle as a very temporary fix. You'll also need to specify if you just want the axle alone or do you want the axle, backing plates, bearings, brakes, u-bolts (required!!!!). Changing the leaf springs is not a bad idea while you're at it.

The cost of a new fully loaded axle with bearings, backing plates, and hydraulic disk brakes runs about $1K total. Maybe a bit less.