• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheelin98TJ
    MC Devotee
    • Jul 2015

Originally posted by btriantos View Post
    This has to be the basis of it.. not sure about elsewhere, but you are not supposed to go faster than 5mph after dark (sunset) here in California

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothing like that here in Michigan.

We can even ski an hour after sunset and an hour before sunrise.

Comment

• John Johnson
      MC Devotee
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by aarvig View Post
      Good point...the article doesn't state that both boats were in motion. But in order for a driver to get a DUI...wouldn't the boat have to be in motion?
      In Alabama it is "actual physical control" which also means keys in the pocket or ignition. You can get a DUI sleeping in your car with keys out of the ignition here.

Comment

• jesam
        MC Fanatic
        • May 2015

Its speculated that the woman was not actually driving the pontoon, but was sober, so took the fall for her husband and that they're trying to smoke him out with severe charges to his wife.
        Last edited by jesam; 08-23-2019, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• aarvig
          TT Regular
          • Aug 2018

Wow...what a mess. Lesson to be learned here is that alcohol has no place on a boat and people drinking have no business operating boats.

Comment

• bret
            MC Devotee
            • Aug 2004

Authorities have not detailed what led to the charges against them. The indictments state that both Suggs “did with criminal negligence” cause Starling’s death by “striking the vessel she was aboard causing her to be thrown there from. Crash, she's missing but no real details yet, crash happened at 10pm.

Stbd side of MC is trashed in the pictures online, which means the other boat saw a GREEN light if nav lights were on; the vessel to STARBOARD has the right of way or is the stand on vessel. The MC, give way vessel, should have gone to the stern of the other boat or slowed down to give the other vessel passage.

3 simple nav rules, inland/coastal or international:
            1. If another vessel is approaching you from the port — or left — side of your boat, you have the right of way and should maintain your speed and direction, you are to starboard.
            2. If a vessel is aiming to cross your path and they’re on your starboard — or right — side, they have the right of way. Alter your course so that you will pass them at a safe distance and in a way that is apparent to the other boat operator.
            3. Any vessel that is approaching your boat for the stern doesn’t have the right of way. Maintain your speed and course. Whenever a boat is overtaking another, the vessel in front always has the right of way and should be allowed to continue their original course unhindered.

I could scan in the COLREGS but learn a few rules of boating. As for someone who said they don't go out on holidays, pretty much the same here; ski early and get off the lake and let the crazies have it - that's sad to say.

When we go out for a sunset cruise on the lake ( our party barge ), there are cocktails and a glass of wine here or there but I don't drink - not putting my license on the line, but if someone else's boat, if they want to drink, I'll be the operator.
            1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17

Comment

• jafo9
              MC Devotee
              • Jan 2011

I find it unusual that the Suggs were charged with misdemeanor criminally negligent homicide when the operator of the MasterCraft was under the influence and actually failed a field sobriety test. If you do some research into this Jodi Sugg passed a sobriety test on scene. The operator of the MC did not. Either we are missing something here or there is an over-reaching marine police officer.
              I'm sure I will get flamed for this but I don't think there is any place for alcohol on a boat for passengers or operators. It is astonishing to me that it isn't illegal to even have an open container on a boat. On a busy day it is difficult maneuvering on our lake while sober...alcohol should not be allowed to be a part of the equation at all.

all three counties that surround smith lake are dry, therefore the lake is dry as well. any alcohol is illegal there.

Comment

• John Johnson
                MC Devotee
                • Aug 2013

Only alcohol sales are prohibited. Possession of alcohol is not.

Comment

• 81SNS
                  TT Enthusiast
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by jafo9 View Post
                  all three counties that surround smith lake are dry, therefore the lake is dry as well. any alcohol is illegal there.
                  Not exactly.....there are 3 different restaurants on Smith where you can drink alcohol, even on Sunday.

Comment

• btriantos
                    MC Fanatic
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by bret View Post
                    Authorities have not detailed what led to the charges against them. The indictments state that both Suggs “did with criminal negligence” cause Starling’s death by “striking the vessel she was aboard causing her to be thrown there from. Crash, she's missing but no real details yet, crash happened at 10pm.

Stbd side of MC is trashed in the pictures online, which means the other boat saw a GREEN light if nav lights were on; the vessel to STARBOARD has the right of way or is the stand on vessel. The MC, give way vessel, should have gone to the stern of the other boat or slowed down to give the other vessel passage.

1. If another vessel is approaching you from the port — or left — side of your boat, you have the right of way and should maintain your speed and direction, you are to starboard.
                    2. If a vessel is aiming to cross your path and they’re on your starboard — or right — side, they have the right of way. Alter your course so that you will pass them at a safe distance and in a way that is apparent to the other boat operator.
                    3. Any vessel that is approaching your boat for the stern doesn’t have the right of way. Maintain your speed and course. Whenever a boat is overtaking another, the vessel in front always has the right of way and should be allowed to continue their original course unhindered.

I could scan in the COLREGS but learn a few rules of boating. As for someone who said they don't go out on holidays, pretty much the same here; ski early and get off the lake and let the crazies have it - that's sad to say.

When we go out for a sunset cruise on the lake ( our party barge ), there are cocktails and a glass of wine here or there but I don't drink - not putting my license on the line, but if someone else's boat, if they want to drink, I'll be the operator.

Wow, if that is the picture of the boat where one died and others were injured, how it stayed afloat is a miracle... It could have been a lot worse depending on the life jacket situation and if that sunk as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• GottaLuvGravity
                      TT Regular
                      • Jul 2018

Wow...what a mess. Lesson to be learned here is that alcohol has no place on a boat and people drinking have no business operating boats.
                      I am so tired of the reaction that we have to punish everyone for the actions of a few instead of focusing on how to stop the few. It is a huge stretch to go from people drinking have no business operating boats to alcohol has no place on a boat. Should we take alcohol out of restaurants because the designated driver might be tempted? There are DUI laws that apply to operators of boats as there should be. The real problem is there is little to no enforcement until after an incident happens. That has at least been my experience at lakes I go to. On the roads police have random DUI checkpoints to deter driving under the influence. A little random stopping of boats and asking the driver to show you all of the required safety equipment would allow the rangers/marine police to identify obvious drunks and deter many from doing it. I'd gladly deal with an inspection here or there to make our waters safer. Don't see why you need to tell my guests how to have fun on my boat.

Comment

• lake weir skier
                        MC Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by GottaLuvGravity View Post
                        I am so tired of the reaction that we have to punish everyone for the actions of a few instead of focusing on how to stop the few. It is a huge stretch to go from people drinking have no business operating boats to alcohol has no place on a boat. Should we take alcohol out of restaurants because the designated driver might be tempted? There are DUI laws that apply to operators of boats as there should be. The real problem is there is little to no enforcement until after an incident happens. That has at least been my experience at lakes I go to. On the roads police have random DUI checkpoints to deter driving under the influence. A little random stopping of boats and asking the driver to show you all of the required safety equipment would allow the rangers/marine police to identify obvious drunks and deter many from doing it. I'd gladly deal with an inspection here or there to make our waters safer. Don't see why you need to tell my guests how to have fun on my boat.
                        Most states have open container laws that make it illegal for drivers or passengers of cars to consume from, or even possess, open containers of alcohol. Why should the laws for boats be any different?
                        1994 ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1, ACME 541, PTM Edge VR-140

Comment

• LostDriver669
                          MC Fanatic
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by lake weir skier View Post
                          Most states have open container laws that make it illegal for drivers or passengers of cars to consume from, or even possess, open containers of alcohol. Why should the laws for boats be any different?
                          Most people don’t spend 8hrs in their car and only move a few miles... Boating should not be treated the same as driving because it’s not the same.

Comment

• FourFourty
                            MC Maniac
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by bret View Post

Unless the MC was stopped.....

This same thing happened to a friend of mine, on the same day of the year.

July 4, about 10pm as soon as the fireworks were over. Basically, a zillion boats all gather in one area to watch the fireworks on the water. As soon as fireworks are over, half of the boats take off at reckless speeds to try to get back to the boat launch first. My friend was sitting still in his SAN 230, and another boat with an impaired driver, hit him directly in the starboard side at about 25-30mph.

The boat looked about exactly like that x15, except his tower got ripped completely off the boat. Luckily his wife and sons only got mild injuries, and my friend got a big gash in his head, and needed a bunch of stitches. They were all very lucky.

It is scary on my lake after the fireworks end, and there seems to always be some sort of incident.

Comment

• Timr71
                              MC Fanatic
                              • May 2016

Originally posted by FourFourty View Post

It is scary on my lake after the fireworks end, and there seems to always be some sort of incident.
                              My cousin calls the drive back to his dock after the fireworks the worst part of the entire season. We didn't even go this year and we usually go every year.

Comment

• drx35
                                TT Enthusiast
                                • Sep 2012

I have seen several DUI checkpoints set up on Tablerock Lake, both by Kimberling and Shell Knob bridges...I was checked over Memorial Weekend this year. It was good for all the 16 people in our boat to see me going through the field sobriety test. Everything went great and the two officers were very friendly. I now have a whistle on the kill switch lanyard...

It is VERY important to show authority 100% respect at all times. Most of them have a pretty decent sense of humor...
                                "Dentist the Menace"

Comment

Working...
                                X