Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 09-19-2019, 09:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
A couple more variables to consider as you profile a potential buyer.

1. Did it ever see salt water? If yes, expect a lowball offer and don't do interior

2. With this being a shared boat, I would expect to see general neglect as nobody seems to keep a shared boat clean and maintained. If it shows neglected, again expect a lowball offer and dont do interior

GLWS and your decision. For the right price everything sells
Old 09-19-2019, 10:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
Why on earth did you buy this boat? It screams neglect. I would not give you 5k for it. Sorry.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210 View Post
Why on earth did you buy this boat? It screams neglect. I would not give you 5k for it. Sorry.

Seems he likely got it really cheap. Put some work into it and now has a fairly modern working ski boat. Not a bad start.

He didnít mention if he wants to sell tomorrow or in 5 years yet.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210 View Post
That would be a great 5k tug
Old 09-20-2019, 06:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC,197,2004,350
All good advice, thank you everyone! Mechanicaly itís nearly perfect so Iíve been enjoying it very much. I have lot more into it than 5k and while it was out in the sun all those years it doesnít have any signs of abuse, just needed someone to love it. Never in salt either. If you guys think itís only worth 5k Iíd rather just use it and get my moneyís worth.

Like I said earlier it has low hours, Hull is in great shape and even the carpet was cleanable. Just wish I could find someone to redo the seats for less than 4K. Only guy Iíd trust near me is a hot rod guy that does some boats and he told me 5k minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2019, 06:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
it's worth WAY more than 5K probably closer to 10 AS IS. Maybe more. IMO.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar
You could potentially pull everything off and ship to a lower cost shop somewhere over the winter?
Old 09-21-2019, 07:49 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP... SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stig View Post
All good advice, thank you everyone! Mechanicaly it’s nearly perfect so I’ve been enjoying it very much. I have lot more into it than 5k and while it was out in the sun all those years it doesn’t have any signs of abuse, just needed someone to love it. Never in salt either. If you guys think it’s only worth 5k I’d rather just use it and get my money’s worth.

Like I said earlier it has low hours, Hull is in great shape and even the carpet was cleanable. Just wish I could find someone to redo the seats for less than 4K. Only guy I’d trust near me is a hot rod guy that does some boats and he told me 5k minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most of the boats I've purchased over the years were "stepping stone" boats. Boats that I've used to get to the next one. I've probably done this drill with a good 5 or 6 boats. The thing is that none of them have been a "home run" $10K ROI flip. Most have been in the $2K - $4K range and some that I've put a couple grand into I've only broke even on. On those I've considered them not so much as a win but kind of like a savings account that you get to ski behind.

Not sure what your tipping point would be on this boat as you haven't said what you paid so there's no way for anyone to determine your break even point. Or for that matter what you goal is with this project. Is the idea to make money or to not get hurt on the boat while you use it?

If you're trying to determine if putting money into the boat would be a good investment, I would advise against it and instead point you to an index fund to invest your money.

If you're looking to make some quick cash on a flip then it's too late to do the math on that as you already own the boat. In this case I would probably advise seeing if you can get out now without investing any more cash into the boat.

If you're thinking you may be upside down on the boat and looking to cash out and not get burned too bad then the best bet would be to probably put it up for a grand or two more than you have into it and see where it goes from there.

I say the above because it would appear that you're very hesitant to put $5K into the interior so that would lead me to believe you're in too deep on the base boat to justify the additional investment. If this is the case then you didn't do your homework before the purchase of the boat. In this case it is pretty much what it is and time to decide what direction you go with this project.

The last angle would be if you're looking to keep the boat and want to know if spending that kind of money would be worth the investment. The answer depends on how you view the upgrade. If it's solely an investment to you that you'll want every penny back or or make money on, then go with the index fund. If it's something you'll enjoy and use for the next 3 - 5 years then put the money into it and enjoy it.

At the end of the day how well you bought the boat will determine if you'll win, lose or draw on this boat. At least that's how I see it.

Last edited by bturner2; 09-22-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommurtha View Post
it's worth WAY more than 5K probably closer to 10 AS IS. Maybe more. IMO.
My boat is probably worth 10k with stargazer. Maybe. I donít think this is going to hit 10k
Old 09-22-2019, 12:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
I think one would be fortunate to find a 2004 for 15K with 2 props. pretty low hours too. Throw 5K into and 10 seems pretty fair. Not now but in the spring IMO There are deals out there, motivated sellers etc but you have to be lucky and ready to pounce and be willing to travel. Bottom line though is doing the interior before the sale is a mistake