Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 01-08-2019, 10:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 X30, 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Not a fan here, either. And the $140K is quite a bit more than boat in OP.
the $140k is MSRP...
Old 01-09-2019, 09:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 XT23
Thanks all. The replies and conversations have been immensely helpful. Despite Aric's (sound) advice on keeping my pontoon, the dealer is willing to offer the number I've requested as a trade. I'm happy about that as I'm getting close to what I'd sell it for privately, and the tax savings on the purchase after trade nets out better than a private sale. Next step is to head down Friday for a close look. Believe it or not, I haven't seen the boat in person yet. That said, if it's as advertised...I'm a buyer.

If anyone has any guidance regarding non-obvious questions I should be asking, or anything I should be taking a hard visual look at, please let me know. I understand the basics, but this will be my first v-drive/inboard/wake boat - so I'm definitely the new guy.

Update on the local dealer as well: In the past week, they've taken deposits on both of the holdover '18 XTs I was considering - and at the premium they were seeking. They're doing well, and are thought of highly...and it makes me feel better about the path I'm taking here.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:06 PM

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin View Post
the $140k is MSRP...
Oh, sorry, I didn't look closely. My bad.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:07 PM

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthom22 View Post
Thanks all. The replies and conversations have been immensely helpful. Despite Aric's (sound) advice on keeping my pontoon, the dealer is willing to offer the number I've requested as a trade. I'm happy about that as I'm getting close to what I'd sell it for privately, and the tax savings on the purchase after trade nets out better than a private sale. Next step is to head down Friday for a close look. Believe it or not, I haven't seen the boat in person yet. That said, if it's as advertised...I'm a buyer.

If anyone has any guidance regarding non-obvious questions I should be asking, or anything I should be taking a hard visual look at, please let me know. I understand the basics, but this will be my first v-drive/inboard/wake boat - so I'm definitely the new guy.

Update on the local dealer as well: In the past week, they've taken deposits on both of the holdover '18 XTs I was considering - and at the premium they were seeking. They're doing well, and are thought of highly...and it makes me feel better about the path I'm taking here.

Nice on all counts. Keep us posted.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Had a chance to view the boat in person today and look it over carefully. For the most part, it's as advertised. That said, there were a few concerns and I'm hoping for a bit of help as to 1) whether I should be worried about this stuff and 2) How I should handle it with the seller. Again, I'm receiving a very good OTD price that includes freight/prep.

- The boat is filthy. The floor under the decadence is dirty, the vinyl is filthy, there's dust on everything, dirt on top of the ballast bags, and even dirt on the bottom sides of several of the seat cushions. It appears the boat has been sitting, outside primarily...for a long time. It was shrink wrapped for the season, and we pulled that off.

- It smells like mildew. The dealer told me the antifreeze can take on that smell, and it's not uncommon for a boat sitting under shrink wrap to have some condensation and be a bit musty. It wasn't overpowering, but it was noticeable

- The transom appears a bit dull, and the swim platform mat needs to be replaced. It looks to me like it sat in the sun for the better part of the season(s). I could be wrong - but that's my hunch as this boat was clearly outside

- There's a ding in the swim platform. The dealer says he's not sure how it happened, and that his "gel guy" would fix it so I'd never know it happened. I don't have a pic, but it's about the size of my pinky nail and is through the paint to the glass.

- I'm concerned that if this is the condition the dealer decided to present the boat, how neglected has it been? Again, it's a 2017 with 12hrs on it. I can deal with a dirty boat that simply needs to be cleaned up...but should I be worried about anything more serious?

I told him I want the swim platform replaced, and the boat detailed top to bottom and front to back. I'm buying a brand new boat (albeit at a significant discount), and I'm simply asking that it presents as a new boat.

Thanks in advance for any guidance. Just want to make sure I don't make a mistake. Other than what I described, it looks amazing and I'm beyond excited!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2017 XT23, previous was 2004 XSTAR, first was a prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthom22 View Post
Had a chance to view the boat in person today and look it over carefully. For the most part, it's as advertised. That said, there were a few concerns and I'm hoping for a bit of help as to 1) whether I should be worried about this stuff and 2) How I should handle it with the seller. Again, I'm receiving a very good OTD price that includes freight/prep.

- The boat is filthy. The floor under the decadence is dirty, the vinyl is filthy, there's dust on everything, dirt on top of the ballast bags, and even dirt on the bottom sides of several of the seat cushions. It appears the boat has been sitting, outside primarily...for a long time. It was shrink wrapped for the season, and we pulled that off.

- It smells like mildew. The dealer told me the antifreeze can take on that smell, and it's not uncommon for a boat sitting under shrink wrap to have some condensation and be a bit musty. It wasn't overpowering, but it was noticeable

- The transom appears a bit dull, and the swim platform mat needs to be replaced. It looks to me like it sat in the sun for the better part of the season(s). I could be wrong - but that's my hunch as this boat was clearly outside

- There's a ding in the swim platform. The dealer says he's not sure how it happened, and that his "gel guy" would fix it so I'd never know it happened. I don't have a pic, but it's about the size of my pinky nail and is through the paint to the glass.

- I'm concerned that if this is the condition the dealer decided to present the boat, how neglected has it been? Again, it's a 2017 with 12hrs on it. I can deal with a dirty boat that simply needs to be cleaned up...but should I be worried about anything more serious?

I told him I want the swim platform replaced, and the boat detailed top to bottom and front to back. I'm buying a brand new boat (albeit at a significant discount), and I'm simply asking that it presents as a new boat.

Thanks in advance for any guidance. Just want to make sure I don't make a mistake. Other than what I described, it looks amazing and I'm beyond excited!

I new boat no matter what age shouldnt be shown like that!! I am very surprised they didnt have it cleaned up. When the showed me my 2017 it sparkled! I had a couple issues with locker vinyal and also swim plat form sea deck peeling they replaced it all. I would insiste it get a detail first before you look again!

2019 LONE STAR MASTERBASH!!!!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 X30, 6.2L
I'd concur with mastercraftka...unacceptable IMHO. i am very happy to say that my experience of buying a leftover boat was 180 from what you saw.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks fellas. At this point I'm operating under the assumption I'm not dealing with the best MC dealer. TBH...this is a full service river marina that also sells everything...houseboats/cruisers/runabouts/pontoons etc...and a few MCs, each season.

I'm honestly thinking about asking them to replace the swim platform, give me an extra $1k off, and I'll take it as is and go have it detailed professionally. This will not be the local dealer I work with, and I don't want to miss a great deal on a boat I love just because I don't like the fact they didn't clean it up for me.

I'm just not certain if there's anything else I should be worrying about here as it appears this dealer hasn't cared for this boat very well - judging by the way they elected to show it to me today (I showed up ready to buy on the spot!). Should I be worried about mechanical or electrical problems if it's just been sitting? Is the mildew smell indeed common for a boat sitting under shrink wrap for the past 3+ months or is it a red flag?

Other than the swim platform and the filth, it seems fine. I just don't know what I don't know. Well, other than the fact this dealer needs to unload this boat as they've been making payments to MC for at least a year I would guess...
Old 01-11-2019, 10:36 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2019 XT22
The fact they didn’t take the time of day to clean it up for you knowing you’re coming to buy would piss me off. Doesn’t have to be perfect, I would expect that post purchase detail to take care of the lot filth, but still. Just kills the excitement.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2019!!!!!!

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...d.php?t=100065

2019 XT22-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 01-12-2019, 02:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X-20
I assume you would be the first owner and the boat has not been registered yet? If so, keep in mind you get 5 years of warranty from Mastercraft so I wouldn’t be too worried. Since it has been sitting sometime I would change the engine and transmission oil before you take it out on the water.

You can also get a teak swim platform for less money than fibreglass. You may decide that is a better way to go.

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)