• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whalenjf
    TT Enthusiast
    • Nov 2012

Krypt vs. Indy Tower Bimini

Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a tower bimini and I am looking at both the "Krypt Flat Cargo Wakeboard Tower Boat Bimini Top" and the "Indy Wakeboard Tower Bimini." Essentially they look like identical to me and I'm not really sure if there actually is a difference. The only difference I can find is that the Indy states that it uses Sunbrella material in the installation instructions, but I cannot find the instructions for the Krypt it just says "uses 1200 Denier Heavy Duty Canvas."

Does anybody have any experience with either of these? I found this thread on the Krypt:

Krypt:
    Get out of the sun and ride in the shade with this over tower bimini top. This bimini can be mounted over or under the tower. Krypt bimini's provide up to 6' of cool shade for those hot summer days, are rattle free, have no straps, and require no drilling

Indy:

***Also, does anybody know of any forum discounts for either? Price may end up being the deciding factor. Thanks!
  • Whalenjf
    TT Enthusiast
    • Nov 2012

Follow up...

Well, I just got off the phone with Ken at Bullet Lines and he informed me that they do indeed make the bimini for Indy, so they are the same thing... material may be slightly different. I sent a couple pictures and dimensions to Ken to verify fitment on my tower, but as soon as I hear back I will have one on order. Ken was very nice to talk to and answered all of my questions honestly.

Comment

• _fng_
      MC Fanatic
      • Jun 2011

I have the krypt bimini and it has been well worth the $400 I spent 3 years ago. Good size, no issue with longevity (thus far) and no rattle on the tower.

Comment

• SmithX30
        TT Enthusiast
        • Mar 2016

I am also trying to research a bimini top. I have a 2002 X30 with a zero flex tower. I have looked at the new dimension and I'm not real comfortable with the split look. Also,when it's folded up the rear section hits at the tower speakers and also will cover up a light bar. I talked to towerbimini.com and they have one that installs under the tower but when it's folded up it will cover the tower speakers and it's over twice as much as the ones your looking at. I need one that can fold up so I can lay the tower down for storage. Let me know how yours goes and if you come across any others that you were researching, I would appreciate any guidance to other options.
        2019 Xstar
        2002 X30 ~ sold

Comment

• Whalenjf
          TT Enthusiast
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by _fng_ View Post
          I have the krypt bimini and it has been well worth the $400 I spent 3 years ago. Good size, no issue with longevity (thus far) and no rattle on the tower.
          Thanks for reassuring me! It looks like a nice piece. I was planning to make my own, but I could barely buy all the materials for what this one costs. Do you have the storage racks too? I have a feeling I will end up with those eventually since surfboards don't fit in my boardracks.

Originally posted by SmithX30 View Post
          I am also trying to research a bimini top. I have a 2002 X30 with a zero flex tower. I have looked at the new dimension and I'm not real comfortable with the split look. Also,when it's folded up the rear section hits at the tower speakers and also will cover up a light bar. I talked to towerbimini.com and they have one that installs under the tower but when it's folded up it will cover the tower speakers and it's over twice as much as the ones your looking at. I need one that can fold up so I can lay the tower down for storage. Let me know how yours goes and if you come across any others that you were researching, I would appreciate any guidance to other options.
          I thought about the folding style too since it would be nice to have that option to fold it up, but I think the option to add the storage racks down the road will be very nice to get surfboards off the floor and seats of the boat. If you look at the thread I linked in the original post there is a picture of a tower folded with the flat bimini still 1/2 installed.

Krypt makes 2 other styles which are folding. you could check them out too...
          Folding under tower:
          Get out of the sun and ride in the shade with this universal wakeboard tower bimini. Krypt bimini's provide up to 6' of cool shade for those hot summer days, and when the bimini is not needed just fold it up and out of the way with the free included boot.

Folding over tower:
          Krypt's over the tower folding bimini is an essential upgrade to any of our towers, and it's universal design works with most other brand towers too. This top is mounted to the top of the tower giving the most shade possible,

I just placed my order, so I will be sure to come back in a couple weeks and update this thread with pictures and my impressions of the bimini once I get it installed.

Comment

• Eric2010MCX2
            MC Devotee
            • Nov 2009

Definitely like the over for the additional head clearance. Looks very similar to the mc factory one on the zft3's
            2016 X20
            2010 X2, MCX-sold
            2011 Sierra 2500HD SLT CC SB 4x4, duramax/allison

Comment

• _fng_
              MC Fanatic
              • Jun 2011

I don't have the storage racks (don't surf) but I can fold my tower without taking off the entire bimini, I just take off the back two brackets and laying it down.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Whalenjf
                TT Enthusiast
                • Nov 2012

I wanted to provide a follow up for anybody who might search this later down the road... Got the bimini installed and so far I am very happy with it. Definitely a solid piece, that fits very well and will provide a ton of shade. Hopefully I will get to test it out on the lake here soon!
                Attached Files

Comment

• fstaslp
                  MC Fanatic
                  • Aug 2010

Thanks for the pictures, I will be ordering one soon and these help tremendously. Also, your boat looks great, looks like you have put lots of time into updating it.
                  1999 Maristar 230 VRS

Comment

• Whalenjf
                    TT Enthusiast
                    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by fstaslp View Post
                    Thanks for the pictures, I will be ordering one soon and these help tremendously. Also, your boat looks great, looks like you have put lots of time into updating it.
                    Thanks for the kind words! Just so you know, Krypt, Indy, and Reborn are all the same bimini. I ordered from Krypt but it came packaged in a Reborn box haha.

Comment

• fstaslp
                      MC Fanatic
                      • Aug 2010

did you go with the 63" wide one? Also does it hang forward of the windshield? I assume you can move it fore and aft correct?
                      1999 Maristar 230 VRS

Comment

• Whalenjf
                        TT Enthusiast
                        • Nov 2012

did you go with the 63" wide one? Also does it hang forward of the windshield? I assume you can move it fore and aft correct?
                        Yes, I went with the 63" one. Measure the width of your tower legs at the height you want it to be and as long as it is greater than 63" you will be fine. The mounting point width is adjustable as well, my tower legs were 67" wide. I set it up to hang forward of the windshield maybe 6-12" if I remember correctly, but it is very adjustable. I mounted it and then slid it forward until it was where I wanted it.

Here are the installation instructions I went by, it makes way more sense once you have the parts in hand, but it was a very simple install. Probably about 1-2hrs taking my time.

Comment

• fstaslp
                          MC Fanatic
                          • Aug 2010

Still loving it?
                          1999 Maristar 230 VRS

Comment

• Bubbacuse77
                            MC Devotee
                            • Jun 2015

I ordered the 63" for my 197 with a zero flex because I thought the size smaller was too small. I have cut 12" off the length and cut it down and rewelded it to 56" wide. I just have to have my buddy resize and sew the top then I'll post some pics
                            sigpic
                            "America is about speed. Hot, Nasty, bad-a$$ speed"
                            -Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

• Whalenjf
                              TT Enthusiast
                              • Nov 2012

Still loving it?
                              Unfortunately the boat hasn't seen the water yet this year, so I don't have any real world experience with it yet. I'm hoping to change that in a couple weeks though! I'll keep you posted once I get to use it.

Originally posted by Bubbacuse77 View Post
                              I ordered the 63" for my 197 with a zero flex because I thought the size smaller was too small. I have cut 12" off the length and cut it down and rewelded it to 56" wide. I just have to have my buddy resize and sew the top then I'll post some pics
                              Looking forward to pictures!

Comment

Working...
                              X