X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZachDaddy
    TT Enthusiast
    • Jan 2012

You should try to re-tap the threads of the grease port before replacing it. If the original hole size is not repairable then I'd look in to going up one size in grease fitting.

Comment

• ZachDaddy
      TT Enthusiast
      • Jan 2012

Oh and I bought a tube of corrosion preventing marine grease and filled my rudder box full this weekend.

Stopped my water leak that had been driving my MCOCD into a full facial twitch.

Comment

• Kell
        MC Fanatic
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ZachDaddy View Post
        Oh and I bought a tube of corrosion preventing marine grease and filled my rudder box full this weekend.

Stopped my water leak that had been driving my MCOCD into a full facial twitch.
        ZachDaddy, thanks for the info. Greased my rudder zirk this evening as well. Question though, I read that you should also grease the steering cable near the rudder/steering cable. I could not see a zirk fitting anywhere in that area. Did see a bracket about a foot back from the rudder arm on the steering cable, I could feel 3 bolts but its right under the alternator so I could not get a clear view. You would have to be 3 feet tall and arms of six feet to get in there. Any ideas?

09 x2, MCX.

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Kell; 07-02-2013, 01:34 AM.
        09 X2, MCX 350, VDig, PP, Heater, Shower, Bow Filler Cushin, Bimini, Wake Plate, 2 Tower Speakers w/Forward integrated docking lights, Tandom Low Profile Trailer

Comment

• sand2snow22
          MC Maniac
          • Aug 2005

Kell, have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you look down at the steering cable near where it attaches to the rudder arm. You will see the cable going in and out of that bracket. Grease the part that goes in and out. We just paint on marine grease with a brush!

I will be up on Friday! You up there?
          www.nwboatsports.com
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/NW-Bo...27792007306783

Comment

• Kell
            MC Fanatic
            • Jul 2004

Thanks S2S, I'll give that a try. The cable that attaches to the rudder arm looks clean, no rust or grease residue, so it prob needs some fresh grease. I'll do that Tuesday. Yes, we are headed up to PL wed through Sunday. So looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk
            09 X2, MCX 350, VDig, PP, Heater, Shower, Bow Filler Cushin, Bimini, Wake Plate, 2 Tower Speakers w/Forward integrated docking lights, Tandom Low Profile Trailer

Comment

• gambier
              TT Enthusiast
              • Mar 2014

This thread was helpful - as usual on this board.

Had plenty of water coming into my 08 X-35 driving me nuts. Same rudder seal as up thread (OJ Props). Only takes about 15mins to pop the old seal out and put a new one in which I got from skidim:

Same seal as the drive shaft uses which is nice - had one in the basement.

Noticed that there was zero grease in the rudder box when I opened it up - clearly many owners aren't greasing these regularly. The seal was torn up pretty good too.

Good tip up thread about the seal puller. $13 saved lots of time, the seal is in there pretty good.

Also, don't assume the rudder is held tight by the bolt on the arm. As soon as I pulled the pin the rudder fell right out - the bolt was not tight!. Good thing the father in law was paying attention and caught it.

Comment

• Proedge
                TT Enthusiast
                • Jun 2019

just looking to confirm if this is the same seal that goes into the rudder under part#200153. I spoke to my dealer, they advised me that I would have to get the OJ 2080B, which replaces the whole sleeve, including the seal.

Comment

• mrm2083
                  TT Enthusiast
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Proedge View Post
                  just looking to confirm if this is the same seal that goes into the rudder under part#200153. I spoke to my dealer, they advised me that I would have to get the OJ 2080B, which replaces the whole sleeve, including the seal.

Interested in this as well. Is it possible to press it in with the port still on the boat? I have to do it on my boat but haven’t wanted to deal with removing the 5200 and shipping to OJ

Comment

• ttu
                    MC Addict
                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by mrm2083 View Post
                    Interested in this as well. Is it possible to press it in with the port still on the boat? I have to do it on my boat but haven’t wanted to deal with removing the 5200 and shipping to OJ
                    that is what I did. need snap ring pliers and a seal puller. you can get the part from OJ.

Comment

• mrm2083
                      TT Enthusiast
                      • Apr 2006

Did you replace that entire black piece that is in the picture or just the seal that is on the inside?

Comment

• ttu
                        MC Addict
                        • Jun 2005

just the seal inside

Comment

• flyauburn
                          TT Newbie
                          • Aug 2018

My shop did the work last week described in this thread due to a lot of play in the rudder, suspecting water leak from it. I put the boat in yesterday and now it pulls hard to the left if I let go of the wheel at around 30 mph. Anyone experience this? Also, I’m not sure the leak was fixed as my bilge pump is coming on every 22 minutes for 1 minute running time.

Comment

• JimN
                            MC Master Poster
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by flyauburn View Post
                            My shop did the work last week described in this thread due to a lot of play in the rudder, suspecting water leak from it. I put the boat in yesterday and now it pulls hard to the left if I let go of the wheel at around 30 mph. Anyone experience this? Also, I’m not sure the leak was fixed as my bilge pump is coming on every 22 minutes for 1 minute running time.
                            Did you look in the bilge, to see where water is coming in?

Call the shop and tell them about this.

Comment

Working...
                            X