Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2021, 09:15 PM
MC Addict

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Damn man, you might just want to take up another hobby David....
Sorry to hear this, and I know it’s sitting at the lake and you can’t just go check it out , but
1. You can’t really screw up an impeller install. Literally, unless you leave the cover loose or somehow there’s an impeller with the same spline but too small diameter fins.
2. Raw water ball valve.
3. Strainer. I fckin smashed one of those with a hammer after it overheated my boat. (I actually returned it but that sounds better.
If it was winterized, try “priming” it up. Pull the raw water hose (close valve for this or do it on the lift. Pump the engine full of water, re attach. Open valve it closed, fire it up. Even with no strainer, mine has air locked a couple times on a dry block sitting in the water.
I now fire it up on a hose.
Also, get in the habit of checking. Exhaust manifolds will get hot quick if no water, before the engine hits operating temp.
Speaking of which, if there was no water then it could not hit operating temp. Something else might be wrong. Tough to say but if you don’t do the work yourself you don’t know what might have been effed up or where to look
Good luck!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 05-10-2021, 09:51 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Damn man, you might just want to take up another hobby David....
Sorry to hear this, and I know it’s sitting at the lake and you can’t just go check it out , but
1. You can’t really screw up an impeller install. Literally, unless you leave the cover loose or somehow there’s an impeller with the same spline but too small diameter fins.
2. Raw water ball valve.
3. Strainer. I fckin smashed one of those with a hammer after it overheated my boat. (I actually returned it but that sounds better.
If it was winterized, try “priming” it up. Pull the raw water hose (close valve for this or do it on the lift. Pump the engine full of water, re attach. Open valve it closed, fire it up. Even with no strainer, mine has air locked a couple times on a dry block sitting in the water.
I now fire it up on a hose.
Also, get in the habit of checking. Exhaust manifolds will get hot quick if no water, before the engine hits operating temp.
Speaking of which, if there was no water then it could not hit operating temp. Something else might be wrong. Tough to say but if you don’t do the work yourself you don’t know what might have been effed up or where to look
Good luck!
^^ if it was not for bad luck I don't think David would have any luck! golf, tennis!)). One good suggestion would be to meet the mechanic when he or she works on the boat and get to know the boat and how to work on it. Like thrall said impeller is super simple. Hopefully the check valve was open. Someone just put it on a lift so they had to have driven it there from a ramp. Did they have any issues with overheating.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Centurion Typhoon
what's the operating temp of that motor? i would never let it get to 240 before shutting it down, if mine goes over 175 there's a problem.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:17 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
I have seen (first-hand) impellers (new and old) spin on the hub and the vanes never move.

Anytime I replace an impeller or inspect one, before I close the housing, I bump the engine to make sure the vanes rotate.

2 Peter 1:3–8
Old 05-11-2021, 09:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X30
Thanks all. And dealer didn't say there were any issues getting it to the lift, but then again, it's only about 200 feet from the launch. I had it on the water for about 10 minutes, maybe a little more, and it was fine until it wasn't. On the lift, but in the water, it overheated quickly. And I wish I could go out with the guy but he's coming this week and I'm back at home working. And I agree, would be much better to watch the guy and see what he works on for the next time it happens, and it will...
Old 05-11-2021, 09:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X30
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
^^ if it was not for bad luck I don't think David would have any luck! golf, tennis!)). One good suggestion would be to meet the mechanic when he or she works on the boat and get to know the boat and how to work on it. Like thrall said impeller is super simple. Hopefully the check valve was open. Someone just put it on a lift so they had to have driven it there from a ramp. Did they have any issues with overheating.
No kidding!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2021, 09:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 x-15, SOLD 1994 prostar 205
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakejimmyjon View Post
On an earlier boat the previous owner showed me how to winterize the boat and he put the thermostat back in upside down. Over heated in the first 10 minutes. Scared the crap out of me as it was my first DD. Thought I bought problems. Flipped it over and all was good.
That's strange as the thermostat has nothing to do with winterization. I used to take the extra step on my previous 205 of removing all the hoses. But never did anything with the thermostat
2016 Ford Flex
3 kids, a wife, and a boat dog
1 kid in college
Old 05-12-2021, 08:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 195
It was a Nautique and poured the antifreeze in through the thermostat housing.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X2 with Gen 2
I have had 2 similar experiences after having my boat winterized at the dealership. The first time the raw water intake valve was shut off, along with some of the ballast intake valves. This can damage the impellers running them dry. The second time the impeller that I had paid to have changed when the boat was winterized, was found to be damaged by what the dealership described as “a piece of metal” that was found in the pump housing. I suspect that the “piece of metal” was the key that fits the impeller to the shaft that was displaced. I can’t be sure when that would have happened, if the key was not in place the impeller would not turn so it wouldn’t have been damaged. If it was easier to do I would change the impeller myself.