• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Irrig8
    TT Newbie
    • Apr 2019

Wtb Air Chair

I am looking to buy an Air Chair or Sky SKi. Please let me know what you have?

thanks
  • CantRepeat
    • Jul 2008

-Tim

Making boomers great again!! Boomin'

Comment

• tex
      MC Platinum
      • Aug 2004

I have a Sky Ski and love it. Had an original Air Chair which I grew out of pretty quick. Do you ride already?
      2002 Blue Prostar 197, 0 Flex Tower, Perfect Pass, and The Preditor-ADHD Skier

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :

Comment

• Irrig8
        TT Newbie
        • Apr 2019

airchair

Yes we had one a few years ago and had a lot of fun. then we had kids and bye bye boat and toys. What is the difference in a skysky from airchair ?

Comment

• tex
          MC Platinum
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Irrig8 View Post
          Yes we had one a few years ago and had a lot of fun. then we had kids and bye bye boat and toys. What is the difference in a skysky from airchair ?
          Haven't ridden the new Air Chair but Sky Ski just stepped up the game! I have 2 and love them. Do not get to ride as much as I would like.

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :

Comment

• CruisinGA
            MC Maniac
            • Jun 2009

I was looking for a sky ski and just called Mike Murphy at Next Foils and bought a new ski for not much more than a used sky ski with the features I wanted.

Mike Murphy has been hydrofoiling for more than 50 years, and has been at the forefront of foil design for several decades. Mike was one of the original patent holders for the first sit down hydrofoil, the Air Chair. He later went on to found Sky Ski in 1998. Along the way he
            Bailey
            '02 X-9
            Lake Blue Ridge

Comment

• tex
              MC Platinum
              • Aug 2004

Call Lonnie at http://cinchmax.com/ He will answer all questions and give you a great deal!

Comment

• Irrig8
                TT Newbie
                • Apr 2019

Airchair - Skyski

Still looking .......help

Comment

• Blmeanie
                  MC Fanatic
                  • Dec 2013

to answer your question about difference between air chair and sky ski- depends on which models/versions you are comparing to.

Air chair - if price tag on a used one is less than $1000, probably around $500 it is an original air chair model and honestly, not worth the money. You would be looking to upgrade immediately after learning to ride or giving up.

Sky ski, their original model goes for slightly more on used market, $800-$1000 generally, this is an improved ride over the original air chair but limited in upgrade ability as well. This was called the ss-pro model.

I would say many/most hydrofoilers end up with one of those two options to start and upgrade from there. The upgrades can be piece by piece over time, the components are :
                  - the board
                  - the seat tower
                  - tbar including the fuselage that the wings attach too
                  - front wing
                  - rear wing
                  - foot bindings
                  - seat belt

These components can be slightly different from different manufacturers but they generally are all plug and play and work together across the manufacturers.

Top of the line of everything would easily run around or more than $6000.
                  To get a used ski with upgrade potential for years of fun you would likely be around $1500-$2000, it would not be top of the line or with lightweight components (board/seat tower) but would be a ski you could learn on, upgrade at your own rate and also, key point in all of this - resell without losing money if you didn't enjoy the sport or wanted to get that $6000 model.

The first ski I bought 12 years ago was one of those ss-pro's from sky ski , I got it used for $800 in 2008, my buddy still rides the board, has upgraded everything else on it over time. If I had it still with all the components I had in 2008 I could sell it today for the same $800.

Good luck, keep asking questions, ride someone's ski to get understanding on the wings and benefits of some of the upgrades.

Go to foilforum.com - incredible amount of information there, search feature, people will answer questions too.

Edit - forgot to reinforce what Bailey mentioned, Mike Murphy runs Nextfoils.com , he was original co-founder of the sport and owner in air chair, then peeled off and created ski sky now has next foils. Great resource for info and will set you up with new/used skis and parts. most of the components have after market manufacturers too, someone above mentioned Lonnie, he creates a brand called Cinch for seat belts and foot bindings that are great and a lot of people use them, he also sells entire skis. Another is Malibu Mark, he sells different foot bindings and ski covers etc. , another manufacturer in Australia that is making great high end equipment and domestically a couple of wing manufacturers, Xtreme wings and N2Orbit wings. Info on all can be found on foilforums.com

Comment

• waterlogged882
                    MC Master Poster
                    • Dec 2004

Good write-up. I did not know much about the era of foils. Thanks

93 190
                    (safe click)
                    John 14:6
                    (safe click)

Comment

• Irrig8
                      TT Newbie
                      • Apr 2019

Still looking

Comment

Working...
                      X