• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 81SNS
    TT Enthusiast
    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by MIskiboat View Post
    Waterline cover for sure. Better option is “full side skirts”, hangs 24” or so below rubrail.
    Skiboatcovers.com.
    This is what I use on our lift, skirts and factory cover. My boat stays totally covered, my buddy has a X46 with no skirting and his transom looks terrible.

Comment

• MIskiboat
      MC Devotee
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by 81SNS View Post
      This is what I use on our lift, skirts and factory cover. My boat stays totally covered, my buddy has a X46 with no skirting and his transom looks terrible.

For clarity, the skirts (and transom / platform flap) are part of the boat cover.
      I’ve also seen extended sides for the hoist canopy, but appears no canopy is permitted for OP.

Comment

• DougP
        TT Regular
        • Dec 2017

We live at our lake house for the summer, so we have the boat on the water multiple times per week. I keep the boat on a lift with a canopy; it stays out of the weather, keeping the interior dry and the hull out of the water. The lift has an electric winch, which makes putting it in or taking it out easy. Regarding waves from boat traffic; if the boat is lifted completely out of the water, there is absolutely no movement. The lift works great for me; I wouldn't have it any other way.

Comment

• mmskiboat
          TT Enthusiast
          • Sep 2019

@DougP if I could have a fixed lift I would be all set but I need to have a floating lift due to the water drop, the issue with the floating lift is that there will be some movement.

Comment

• Wheelin98TJ
            MC Devotee
            • Jul 2015

Are there zebra mussels in your area?

Comment

• Coach Mike
              TT Enthusiast
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mmskiboat View Post
              @DougP if I could have a fixed lift I would be all set but I need to have a floating lift due to the water drop, the issue with the floating lift is that there will be some movement.
              How much change in water levels do you deal with there? We've had water changes of as much as 3 to 3-1/2 feet during extremes. I have two vertical lifts that have been great over the past years and would not be without them moving forward.

Comment

• 73blue
                TT Enthusiast
                • May 2010

The lift movement will not harm the boat as the lift is moving on the water, but the boat is not moving on the lift. Trailers need more bunk support because you are dragging them over a hard surface with only the trailer suspension/ tires to cushion the impact. I have been storing boats on floating lifts for customers, including several lifts that I have built myself, for more than 15 years and have never seen boat damage from a properly functioning floating lift. I have seen a lot of damage due to dock rash, broken mooring lines, failed bilge pumps, as well as hull staining/ blistering from leaving the boat in the water, even if only a few months (we have about a 4-5 month season). There's just a lot more that can go wrong when the boat is left in the water

Comment

• slalomjunkie
                  MC Maniac
                  • Apr 2015

Many disagree with my opinion which is based on real life experience/fact, so I sent you a PM to avoid getting in a pissing match on your thread.
                  The sea, once it casts it's spell, holds one in it's net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

Comment

• hunter991
                    MC Fanatic
                    • Jul 2016

You will worry about stains. But to be honest, i have left my bass boat in the water for 2 seasons and got NO blistering. Just had to clean it. If a MC gets blisters in the gel, i would be taking it back to the dealer. My 2006 Nitro didn't get any damage sitting in the water.

Comment

• mmskiboat
                      TT Enthusiast
                      • Sep 2019

@73blue I agree but I still think there would be momentum that could cause the bunks to slip a little and that is what I'm concerned with. But hearing about you real life experience is very helpful so thanks.

@hunter991 Our past two boats have not had blistering but from what I have read as weird as it sounds gel coat boats do not like to stay in water for a long time (so weird cuz you know it is a boat). Sure some are fine but it seems there is enough evidence that it is a problem without anti fouling paint.

Thanks to all who are posting, appreciate all the feedback

Comment

• zsqure
                        MC Devotee
                        • Jun 2012

Sounds like the lift may be your best course of action considering you did not offer up an inside storage option, (which would be the best). I have purchased boats that were garage queens, lift kept, and floated in water and held off the dock with whips. The worst condition boat was the one that floated. It will come loose, at least once. it's gonna happen. The "lift rescue" was a beautiful clean bottom 209 that had "cloudy" gel that buffed out. It's only downfall was mold everywhere in the bilge because it was not dried out like if it was in a boat house or trailer stored in a dry enclosure. You do what makes you happy. My boats are all living the life in a garage, on the trailer where they can set opened up for airflow because they all get wet. And that trailer queen? The best one of them all, 23 years old and no rust on any of the chrome engine parts, no mold on the hoses, I miss that boat.
                        https://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/302328.png
                        1988 prostar 190 SOLD
                        2001 Prostar 209 SOLD

Comment

• 6KidSurf
                          MC Fanatic
                          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by MIskiboat View Post
                          Waterline cover for sure. Better option is “full side skirts”, hangs 24” or so below rubrail.
                          Skiboatcovers.com.
                          ^^1000% agree. Would be the first thing I have ready when I bring the boat home. Best and smartest purchase I ever did!

Comment

• CottagerGreg
                            MC Maniac
                            • Sep 2006

@73blue I agree but I still think there would be momentum that could cause the bunks to slip a little and that is what I'm concerned with. But hearing about you real life experience is very helpful so thanks.

@hunter991 Our past two boats have not had blistering but from what I have read as weird as it sounds gel coat boats do not like to stay in water for a long time (so weird cuz you know it is a boat). Sure some are fine but it seems there is enough evidence that it is a problem without anti fouling paint.

Thanks to all who are posting, appreciate all the feedback
                            I had my 2008 Xstar in the water for about 8 years with no issues. I would take it out and scub it regularly. Also I would coat the hull in a heavy coat of wax every season.

Never had any issues and kept it off the dock via mooring whips. (Nose out to bay) and eventually rebuilt the dock and got a lift but was an expensive venture factoring in dock and lift. Lift creates convenience and keeps the boat cleaner. Think it is more important to have the boat at the dock and ready to enjoy than worry about it sitting in the water for the season.
                            2017 Mastercraft XT21- Black & Calypso Green Flake and Coolfeel interior

2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star SOLD

1981 J-craft 19 long deck ski boat w/200 Mercury Black Max (the gas guzzler)

2018 Audi Q7 Technik Navarra Blue with S-Line, Black Optics, Luxury package, advanced driver assistance, Audi Sport 21" wheels, tow hitch

Comment

• mmskiboat
                              TT Enthusiast
                              • Sep 2019

Originally posted by CottagerGreg View Post
                              Think it is more important to have the boat at the dock and ready to enjoy than worry about it sitting in the water for the season.
                              The boat will be in the water the 1st day of ice out :-) and we will be using it daily as I build the other setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X