• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jwgredeux
    TT Enthusiast
    • Jun 2015

Engine revs high but wont go into gear

So we enjoyed a nice father's day weekend on the lake. We were out for the last surf of the weekend (with no previous issues detected) when pulling up a surfer I heard a click/crack sound (not loud) and felt a small vibration when throttling down. The boat began to slow down and the engine began to rev and I immediately throttled back to neutral. Shut engine down, opened back hatch to see if anything looked wrong (nothing did), cranked back up and everything sounded normal. There were not errors and no check engine light. I eased it in drive and it would not engage, I shifted to reverse and that would not engage either.

Luckily we have plenty of friends on the lake and I enjoyed a cold beverage on his boat as we got a tow back to the dock. Boat is trailered and being taken to the marina tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone had any initial thoughts.

Thanks for the help in advance.
  • Jwgredeux
    TT Enthusiast
    • Jun 2015

I might not have been clear. The throttle moves freely into forward and reverse, but it doesn't go into gear either way.

Comment

• kscrib
      MC Devotee
      • Jun 2010

Did the cable attached to the v-drive come off?

Comment

• Jwgredeux
        TT Enthusiast
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by kscrib View Post
        Did the cable attached to the v-drive come off?
        I have no idea. It was getting close to dark by the time I got it on the trailer. Where would I access this or look to diagnose?

Comment

• kscrib
          MC Devotee
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Jwgredeux View Post
          I have no idea. It was getting close to dark by the time I got it on the trailer. Where would I access this or look to diagnose?
          Middle of the back bench seat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jwgredeux
            TT Enthusiast
            • Jun 2015

it will be a while before Im back at the boat to check. Thanks, and I'll look there first. Any other thoughts if that's not it?

Comment

• skydyvyr
              MC Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

I had a similar problem at one point after changing out my trans fluid — although mine didn’t follow good runs, I had it immediately after putting the boat in the water.

It turner out that the fill cap on the transmission had not been properly seated so pressure to hold the transmission in gear didn’t/couldn’t build (or something like that). Properly seating the fill cap fixed it. IDK if your issue is similar to mine, but I thought I’d share in case it would be helpful.

—Sky
              ------------------------------------------------
              2006 X-1 Pumpkin Orange SOLD
              2013 X25 Black, Green & Orange

Comment

• jmhjgh
                TT Enthusiast
                • Apr 2010

Also check your running gear, and make sure you still have a prop on the shaft.

Comment

• Jwgredeux
                  TT Enthusiast
                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by jmhjgh View Post
                  Also check your running gear, and make sure you still have a prop on the shaft.
                  prop is definitely still attached and appears normal.

Comment

• Jwgredeux
                    TT Enthusiast
                    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by skydyvyr View Post
                    I had a similar problem at one point after changing out my trans fluid — although mine didn’t follow good runs, I had it immediately after putting the boat in the water.

It turner out that the fill cap on the transmission had not been properly seated so pressure to hold the transmission in gear didn’t/couldn’t build (or something like that). Properly seating the fill cap fixed it. IDK if your issue is similar to mine, but I thought I’d share in case it would be helpful.

—Sky
                    This wasnt our first time out this summer and up to that point it had behaved normally for approximately 20ish hours.

Comment

• Maristar210
                      MC Master Poster
                      • Apr 2005

I hate to ask but is the throttle lever pulled out?

Comment

• Jwgredeux
                        TT Enthusiast
                        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Maristar210 View Post
                        I hate to ask but is the throttle lever pulled out?
                        Not sure I know what you mean. We were accelerating up to 10.7 where I had perfect pass set. So I was moving the throttle down to accelerate.

Comment

• Maristar210
                          MC Master Poster
                          • Apr 2005

Not sure I know what you mean. We were accelerating up to 10.7 where I had perfect pass set. So I was moving the throttle down to accelerate.
                          The base of the throttle pulls out towards you so you can rev the motor without it in gear. Or hell they used to anyways...

Comment

• Jwgredeux
                            TT Enthusiast
                            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Maristar210 View Post
                            The base of the throttle pulls out towards you so you can rev the motor without it in gear. Or hell they used to anyways...
                            Ah. So mine has a button in the center of the base of the throttle shaft that has to be pushed in if you wanted to rev the motor out of gear. It was not pushed in and we had been riding/surfing for a while before the incident.

I did shut the boat off and restart after and still had the issue. I did not actually push the button in and off again to double check. It would be embarrassing and a relief if that is the issue.

I went ahead and dropped off at my local shop this AM to get it back as quick as a can so we don't miss too much of the season.

Comment

• Maristar210
                              MC Master Poster
                              • Apr 2005

Ah. So mine has a button in the center of the base of the throttle shaft that has to be pushed in if you wanted to rev the motor out of gear. It was not pushed in and we had been riding/surfing for a while before the incident.

I did shut the boat off and restart after and still had the issue. I did not actually push the button in and off again to double check. It would be embarrassing and a relief if that is the issue.

I went ahead and dropped off at my local shop this AM to get it back as quick as a can so we don't miss too much of the season.
                              I've done it by accident is the only reason I thought of it. Might go there first before they start looking at the linkage & cable.

Comment

Working...
                              X