• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ckawasaki42@students.tntech.edu
    TT Regular
    • Feb 2019

1990 mastercraft Prostar 190 restoration complete

So here is a summary of my mastercraft restoration I have been saving for 7 years since high school. When I got it it had sat for 5 years uncovered with the plug left in. It looked horrible and everything was a swamp inside it. I managed to salvage the 1.52:1 velvet drive (after changes) the alternator, belt, drive shaft, gas tank, fuel pump, oil pan, and a couple other small misc parts. I ordered my small block from Rapido Marine. I removed my old indmar with the ceiling crane. After that I cleaned out the engine compartment and began to hoist up my new short block. While the short block was hanging from the crane we installed the oil pump all of the internal gaskets and the salvaged oil pan along with the indmar bell housing and flex plate. We then lowered it down into the compartment and attached it to the transmission after several attempts. The next weekend we met up we installed my cracked heads that were repaired by Cylinder Heads International (I believe they had to press a pin in one and weld the other to remove the cracks) Tourqued them down along with the salvaged lifters and lifter rods. We attached the salvaged intake along with the salvaged manifolds with all new gaskets. On the third weekend we attached all of the hoses and i began to rebuild the carb while my dad worked on the timing and electrical wiring(we had to look at a friends to see what goes where). We finally got to the point where we were ready to start it but it took us weeks of attempts before we realized we needed a kill switch (Very Very stupid moment for me) Bought it a new kill switch Installed a brand new pump , put it in the water and it fired first crank. the carb sprayed gas everywhere so i had to re rebuild it again with a fuel resistant sealer and it finally quit spraying. After 10 hours of engine breakin the mechanical end was completely finished!!!
    The boat was incredibly faded so I used a TON of meguires and wax to restore its shine.
    The interior is unsalvageable and it will be quite a few years before i get to the interior because i am paying for college and trying to graduate debt free. We have enjoyed several dates and weekends on it with my family friends and girlfriend while slalom skiing, wake boarding, knee boarding and tubing every Friday and Saturday this summer !!! All together the project took approx 3 months to buy the boat, order all of the parts, assemble, tune and breakin its new engine. thank you to everybody who helped!
    Attached Files
    TT Regular
    • Feb 2019

1990 prostar restoration

I want to apologize for how my post looks figuring out how to do pictures was hard.
    I want to give thanks to Mom Dad Chuck Laurelen Clayton and UL for all of your help (some of yall are on the site and some of yall are not but I will let yall remain anonymous) thank you for your help

Comment

• fvierra27
      TT Regular
      • Jul 2018

Looks good! Congratulations!

Comment

• Wheelin98TJ
        MC Devotee
        • Jul 2015

Nice work, looks great!

Comment

• MC FEVER
          MC Fanatic
          • Sep 2013

1.5 to 1 transmission. Isn't that a powerslot? Looks like it too from the attitude that the engine sits.
          - I'd rather be SWERVING!

Comment

• Timr71
            MC Fanatic
            • May 2016

Nice job. Looks great. One idea - I saw a different boat where they made seat covers out of towels. They are big enough to cover the entire bottom cushion and had elastic around the edge, like a fitted sheet.

So, you're at Tenn Tech? Do you go to Center Hill or Dale Hollow...or both?

Comment

• Ironhorse
              MC Devotee
              • Apr 2010

Congrats and great work! If you want to clean up the interior, go purchase a couple cans of Dupli-Color upholstery paint. It will freshen everything up at a very low price.

Comment

TT Regular
                • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Timr71 View Post
                Nice job. Looks great. One idea - I saw a different boat where they made seat covers out of towels. They are big enough to cover the entire bottom cushion and had elastic around the edge, like a fitted sheet.

So, you're at Tenn Tech? Do you go to Center Hill or Dale Hollow...or both?
                yes i do go to tennessee tech as an engineer but i actually go to percy priest and old hickory thats where home is for me. I have never been to dale hollow and I just visited center hill for the first time last week and it was wide open and beautiful .. No logs , rocks, shallow sections, or scummy water! I cant tell you how many tracking fins and holes we ripped in our other ski boats from going on old hickory and percy priest XD

Comment

TT Regular
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Ironhorse View Post
                  Congrats and great work! If you want to clean up the interior, go purchase a couple cans of Dupli-Color upholstery paint. It will freshen everything up at a very low price.
                  that sounds like a good idea some of the apoholstry is still in tact even after dozens of powerwashing trips i know i can do that to the driver seat and the rear seat but unfortunatly the previous owner ripped out the gunnels, passenger seat ,and hood skins ,while thinking he would restore it one day

Comment

• Spitfire
                    TT Enthusiast
                    • Aug 2019

That looks great! Congrats, and envious I didn’t buy and restore one of these when I was younger.

Comment

• Sholcomb72
                      TT Regular
                      • Mar 2018

Good work, these are great boats. I posted a thread on bringing my 1988 PS back without spending a ton of money.

Comment

• thatsmrmastercraft
                        MC Master Poster
                        • Sep 2008

Great job in putting this all together!
                        CUSTOM WHEEL & TIRE PACKAGES
                        sigpic

CUSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
                        REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $350 DELIVERED
                        REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $549 DELIVERED
                        Email - [email protected]

Comment

TT Regular
                          • Feb 2019

Yall I plan to finish off my boat 100% with new seat skins! bought a couple rolls of the heavy duty vinyl. Is there any tips or tricks for the best outcome? I was going to wrap my backseat but the plywood holding it together fell apart as soon as I picked it up... so i also need to find a cheep efficient solution to do that also

Comment

• waterlogged882
                            MC Master Poster
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                            Yall I plan to finish off my boat 100% with new seat skins! bought a couple rolls of the heavy duty vinyl. Is there any tips or tricks for the best outcome? I was going to wrap my backseat but the plywood holding it together fell apart as soon as I picked it up... so i also need to find a cheep efficient solution to do that also
                            I will say this so take it for what it's worth to your situation. For best results, take it to a pro to get the skins put in. $0.02. Specifically to your question, use new foam for best results. Skins aren't cheap so I know where you're coming from. but a pro can do such a good job on a set of seats. Call Stones River Fiberglass in Murfreesboro and get them to recommend an upholstery guy if you go that route. Best way to cut new foam is with an electric carving knife. Use the serrated blade.

Your boat looks good and I know you have worked on it a lot. Hope the carb is working out well.

There is a thread here somewhere that a guy built an entire rear seat from scratch. He did a good job with it.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 12-06-2019, 05:16 PM.
                            93 190
                            (safe click)
                            John 14:6
                            (safe click)

Comment

Working...
                            X