Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-05-2020, 08:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Prostar LT1 1:1
Alright- I pulled all of the injectors this week and cleaned them. I labeled them before I pulled them out and put them back in their original locations with new o rings. Will check the plugs again in a few days to see if the lean condition gets any better.

I also checked the fuel pressure. 41-42 while priming before starting. 38 at idle. Bounces between 38-41 at 2000 rpm under load and about 45 at at WOT under load.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:43 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I read the first page of comments and you wrote that the fuel pressure gauge wasn't on the engine when you have the stalling- it HAS TO be connected in order to perform a valid test because idle pressure is almost useless. You need the boat to be under load, on the water and the test is one at KEOE (Key On, Engine Off), idle, 2000 RPM and WOT, in gear. Y( ushould have a second person onboard to check the pressure and make notes, or you do that while they drive.
So I cleaned all of the injectors a few weeks back and the boat has been running great until this weekend. This is the first time I have had a fuel pressure gauge installed (i have just left it on for a few weeks) when this condition occurred.

Started the boat, it started ok and then began to run rough. Checked the fuel pressure gauge quickly and I had between 10-15 psi and the boat stalled. Turned the key to on prime the pump a few times without starting the engine and could not get the fuel pressure higher than 15 psi.

I bled off a ton of vapor from the schrader valve on the fuel rail and once I did that I was able to prime the pump a few more times and get the fuel pressure back up to 40ish so I could start the boat. Ran fine after that.

I have had the boat for 7 years and these events are the first time I have ever had an issue with vapor lock, what could be causing it? I know I can run the blower or vent the motor box to help prevent, but would rather figure out why I am suddenly having trouble.

I should mention the pump is fairly new and is retrofitted to replace the original pump that had dual inlets (carter P60962) so there is a cap where the return used to "T" into the fuel pump pick up. This was done after I started having issues as I was suspicious of the pump and replaced it so I do not believe this is the cause.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:23 PM
TT Regular

One more thing to add, the hull near the exhaust seems to have quite a bit more soot on it than it used to.